Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Few more questions before first trip.

27 replies to this topic

#21 lthanlon

lthanlon

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

Check the configuration of your plug...Roomette outlets are slightly recessed, and if it's a 90 degree or angled plug it may not fit.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

This is an excellent point. I always bring a standard straight-on extension cord just in case. I also bring a three- to two-prong adapter just in case, as well. Never had to use it, though.

L.T. Hanlon | Chicago, USA
Trains traveled: California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle

#22 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

Once years ago, on a trip to Portland my roomette only had a 2 prong recessed outlet and my power strip was a 3 prong plug. So I bought an adapter while in Portland. The trip back, and all trips since had standard 3 prong outlet. I have never used the adapter.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#23 bratkinson

bratkinson

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

A rubber door stop or carpenter's door wedge, and a small roll of duct tape (or gaffers tape if readily available to you) may be handy.

I buy carpenters shim stock instead.  It's cheap, easy to pack as I can slide a shim or 3 just about anywhere in my bag, and if I forget them, so what.  I even left a handful with my car attendant a few months ago so she could take care of other passengers rattling doors or her own.  For what it's worth, Amtrak must be doing something to keep the doors from rattling like they used to 5-10 years ago.  These days, it's rare that I need to use some shims on the doors.  

#24 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

I haven't had a rattler in a while, but on my last trip, there were a couple of hangers stuck in an empty sliding door at one end downstairs in a SL. I had roomette and it was fine, but either the H or family (I don't remember) obviously was not. I think it was empty so it was just to keep everyone else happy.

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

Happy to post this from the Silver Meteor 98 Lounge.

Using Amtrak Wifi. Everything so far so good. Couch is crowded. Was gonna upgrade to roomette but it's $300 extra. Will just hold out until tomorrow's roomettes the next two days.

#26 Guest_Savannah_*

Guest_Savannah_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:21 AM

First major delay! Was stuck 15 minutes from Florence for over half an hour before we could move again. ETA to DC pushed back 20 minutes. 

#27 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

I haven't had a rattler in a while, but on my last trip, there were a couple of hangers stuck in an empty sliding door at one end downstairs in a SL. I had roomette and it was fine, but either the H or family (I don't remember) obviously was not. I think it was empty so it was just to keep everyone else happy.

Usually, that's the H-room. It's the only sliding door lateral to the train and there's no effective latch to hold it closed from the outside. The quick fix is to just jam a hanger in it.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#28 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:35 AM

Makes total sense....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users