Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Extending the California Zephyr to LAX?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:22 AM

Honestly, you'd probably be better off extending a Capitol Corridor train with a workable connecting schedule to one of the Surfliners.  I think there are also some issues with the line through Vandenberg being quite constrained due to a lack of passing sidings (I'm reminded of the "Escape From Goleta" incident, where due to traffic passing through it took like eight hours to move the baggage car to the back of the Starlight).

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#22 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

I just read this thread since when did a train Chicago to Seattle become useless? That train has great ridership on its route. Same with the Portland section. And it's a route with zero redundancy.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

It is hard to argue with insanity, other than simply stating that it is such LOL!

#24 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

FYI  ---   The EB had the highest end point arrivals of any LD train for November .

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Ultimately, do we need a third CHI-LAX train? If people want a one-seat ride from Chicago to LA, they have a choice of the Sunset/Eagle or the Southwest Chief. But if Amtrak did decide to offer a one seat ride for Zephyr passengers, why not run a through-car from the Zephyr to the Starlight? This would probably involve some rescheduling, but they wouldn’t have to add points to refuel or inspect the train.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#26 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Ultimately, do we need a third CHI-LAX train? If people want a one-seat ride from Chicago to LA, they have a choice of the Sunset/Eagle or the Southwest Chief. But if Amtrak did decide to offer a one seat ride for Zephyr passengers, why not run a through-car from the Zephyr to the Starlight? This would probably involve some rescheduling, but they wouldn’t have to add points to refuel or inspect the train.

The point of extending the CZ to LAX was certainly not a third CHI-LAX train. Read the first page of the thread, there are several other reasons for doing so. Of course if a passenger wanted to go from CHI-LAX they would use the SWC (I personally thing anyone taking the TE/SL instead is crazy as that's almost a full extra day longer than the SWC).

Rescheduling the CS to match up with the CZ is never going to happen as if you want the CS to run overnight between EMY/SJC and LAX you'd have to flip the schedule roughly to what I said so if you have the 14 arrive leave EMY northbound at 8:04am (10 hours later) that means it gets into PDX at 1:32am which Amtrak would never do. To arrive in EMY southbound at 5:10pm (9 hours later than current 11 schedule), it would have to leave PDX at 11:25pm (OK, that might have a chance). If you leave Portland before midnight you leave Seattle before 6am which will never happen either. If the CS is more a Pacific Northwest train than a train for the Bay Area-Los Angeles traffic, then the schedule will be stuck as is. Seattle and Portland will call the shots, not San Fran and Los Angeles.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#27 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,595 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Im one of those crazy people who ride (and have ridden many times) the Texas,Eagle/Sunset Route by choice.😁

Nothing wrong with doing dream/fantasy schedules for Amtrak, but as we've said many times, your obsession with the Little Cardinal and Philly train service hurts your crediibility.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

Im one of those crazy people who ride (and have ridden many times) the Texas,Eagle/Sunset Route by choice.

Nothing wrong with doing dream/fantasy schedules for Amtrak, but as we've said many times, your obsession with the Little Cardinal and Philly train service hurts your crediibility.

In fact, I'm riding the Sunset/Eagle from Pomona, CA to Chicago next month. I chose it over the SWC primarily FOR the extra time on the train.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#29 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

I personally think any busybody who thinks they and they alone should decide for everyone else which trains to ride and how long to ride them is the crazy person.
Amtrak Miles and Trains Traveled: 89811-City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Heartland Flyer, Wolverine. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled: 8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users