Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

NARP rebrands as RPA

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

NARP rebrands as RPA

Click on the link to see the actual logo. Please allow a brief fair use quote:

The National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP) has changed its name to the Rail Passengers Association (RPA) and adopted a new logo that “evokes the image of a train window through which passengers view the world.”
The rebranding comes on the 50th anniversary of the organization’s founding, and “heralds a new age of advocacy for rail passengers in North America,” RPA said. “The new brand image was developed over the past year after extensive research and review of the organization’s membership of more than 28,000 rail passengers. It coincides with the planned launch of a new web address at www.railpassengers.org, and the previously announced relocation of the organization’s headquarters in Washington, DC, to a larger, modern and connected office space. The new brand is designed to appeal to a broad swath of riders—in every age group—who can benefit from rail as a major mode of transportation, including to work, school and for recreation.”
The RPA logo, a landscape-oriented rectangle, with two slanted lines in its lower left corner, “allows the organization to highlight scenes riders would see from their train seat by adding different pictures and photos inside the window,” RPA said. “By highlighting the passenger’s view, the brand makes the passenger experience its central focus. It is also designed to be flexible for an increasingly digital and ever-changing world.”

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#2 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

I wonder how this will effect RUN
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#3 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:25 AM

What's RUN, please?

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:48 AM

Rail Users Network.

http://www.railusers.net
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

This rebranding seems kind of silly. NARP has a 50-year reputation as an advocate for passenger trains. Why suddenly change the name? It's not like NARP is that much longer than RPA. This is starting from scratch with name recognition. I don't see any need for it. 

#6 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

I personally suspect it is an attack on RUN.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#7 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

I don't understand why there would be an attack on RUN--I don't see the connection. I am a RUN member because I like their newsletter, but I don't see why the two couldn't coexist--the more passenger rail advocacy groups, the better.

RUN seems awfully lowkey for NARP to bother with, anyway--I like RUN, but have wondered just how effective they are (although their chairman has a new column in Passenger Train Journal, so maybe they are trying to become more visible).

I wonder if changing from NARP to RPA has more to do with hoping people will think it's a new and more effective advocacy group. I know NARP has some wonderful members, like our own Charlie Hamilton, who do good work. But NARP in general may have had a reputation for not being as effective as possible.

And, just as an afterthought, I think the logo looks ridiculous. It doesn't look like a train window--it looks like a store gift card with two deep scratches on it.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 04 December 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

Mystic, if you put three rail advocates in a room there will suddenly spring forth four rail advocacy organizations and they will spend a lot of time in cat fights,  bickering among themselves and coming up with completely mad schemes, thus diverting considerable energy away from productive pursuits. This has been my unfortunate observation over the last 30 years that I have been progressively more and more exasperated by the entire bunch :( Of late things seem to have improved a bit, but that may just be a happy seasonal variation. Fortunately in spite of this dysfunction, occasionally things gel together and some progress is achieved.

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

I personally think RPA is very appropriate. I like it.

And I do not see how RPA is an attack on the name RUN. True, both start with R but the rest is different. You could also say that AAA is an attack on AA because it has 1 more letter. Also AA is used by American Airlines and also Alcoholic Anonymous, so which is an attack on the other?:huh:

Before this thread, I have never heard of RUN - and I see I am not the only one.

Edited by the_traveler, 04 December 2017 - 01:31 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#10 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Actually, it is some of the RUN folks that spend more time bad mouthing RPA/NARP, than the other way round. I don't think RPA/NARP really spend too much time worrying about RUN ;) There are also a few who happen to be in at least middle level leadership positions at both RPA and RUN, so there is no clear cut organizational antipathy or collaboration. It is more of a case by case basis depending on which loud vocal person you happen to run into. :D

#11 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more about th nature of the movement. But i can not come up with another reason for an intensely asinine rebranding of an organization whose brand is not among its myriad issues.
Posted Image

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

I have given an explanation of it in the previous thread on this subject. I think it has mostly to do with a new regime marking the fire hydrants more than anything else. I don’t think they give a rat’s patutie about RUN.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#13 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

If they are that childish god help them.
Posted Image

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

If they are that childish god help them.

That is par for the course for many large companies too and god seems to be helping them along too

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#15 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

So, the new logo is IMHO idiotic, since it fails as a logo.

But the name change has a reason.  And from the horse's mouth, Jim Mathews, here's the reason:

(Paraphrased from memory)

'When we go to Capitol Hill and talk to a Congressman, by the time we say 'We're from the National Association of...", they've tuned out.'

Really.  That's the reason.  Put "rail" and "passengers" first so that the Congressmen and Congressional aides, who have the attention span of mayflies, don't tune out.

Unfortunately, I actually believe this.  It's a legitimate reason.

Edited by neroden, 04 December 2017 - 09:56 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#16 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, except real advocacy is done with staffers, not the congress critters themselves.
Posted Image

#17 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm still disappointed about the breakup of RUN and DMC

#18 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

This is what I think of when I see RPA.   :ph34r:

original_scrap_rev_large.jpg?v=145220986

#19 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

Mystic, if you put three rail advocates in a room there will suddenly spring forth four rail advocacy organizations and they will spend a lot of time in cat fights,  bickering among themselves and coming up with completely mad schemes, thus diverting considerable energy away from productive pursuits. This has been my unfortunate observation over the last 30 years that I have been progressively more and more exasperated by the entire bunch :( Of late things seem to have improved a bit, but that may just be a happy seasonal variation. Fortunately in spite of this dysfunction, occasionally things gel together and some progress is achieved.

That happens in any type of advocacy group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users