Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Train Jam 2018: CZ (5) March 15-18

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

If the 2018 has a sell out with many turn downs maybe Amtrak could do this. 

1.  Round up as many Superliners as possible.

2.  put locos on the front and one on the rear.  That might solve the HEP problem by dividing load between front and back.  Of course train length would need to be limited to passenger train braking instead of freight train braking schedule..

3.  At DEN split train at mid train break and turn front on wye and back both sections into DEN Union station leaving both locos at far end of platform(s).  Ski train will probably need to be stored somewhere else.

4.  Service train ;  re board ; pull both sections to either side of wye; back one section onto other ; couple up and brake check rear section since front section can get its daily in station.  Then whole train can continue onward.

5.  Since the train will not have to make station stops except for crew and water stops it should be running close to or ahead of schedule ?  There by arriving early still at EMY .

Possible ?  Yes but not likely probable as equipment is certainly a problem .  Are all Superliners equipped for loco MU control of rear loco ? 

Edited by west point, 03 December 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#22 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

https://www.amtrak.c...r-private-train

So using Train Jam's per person pricing the full train total comes to $111,030.

$42,180 for 222 coach seats

$40,740 for 84 Roomette seats

$21,750 for 30 Bedroom seats (2 persons per Bedroom)

$3450 for 6 Family Rooms (2 persons per Family room)

$2910 for 6 H-room (2 person per H-Room - paid for by a sponsor).

The sponsors are paying for the extra SSL car and whatever charter costs aren't paid for my Train Jam passengers.

How much do you think the extra SSL car costs?

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#23 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

I think the Sponsors are paying for the cafe car costs as well.  Also, Trainjam is coordinating the reservations and the collection of the fares. On the reverse trip there will be either be lots of space or closed off cars.  Another thing is that everyone boarding in Chicago going all the way to San Francisco (Amtrak buses).  This would mean that station stops are not needed except for service stops.

#24 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

https://www.amtrak.c...r-private-train

So using Train Jam's per person pricing the full train total comes to $111,030.

This may be in the ball park but I'd bet they are traveling under Group and Convention Travel policies.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 03 December 2017 - 07:50 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#25 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Amtrak is also providing the buses from Emeryville into San Francisco for all 340, 7 buses??. 

#26 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

Train Jam is one-way CHI - San Francisco.

If Train Jam riders want to ride the train back to CHI it's on their own hook, not part of a group.

Edited by KmH, 04 December 2017 - 12:49 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#27 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:06 AM

A whole train full of geeks, nothing new.

#28 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:33 AM

Train Jam is one-way CHI - San Francisco.
If Train Jam riders want to ride the train back to CHI it's on their own hook, not part of a group.

I’m sure TR7 was referring to the trip out, not back.
Most will probably fly home. Or they flew to Chicago from Silicon Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#29 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

They fly all over the world, since this is a collection of game developer geeks from all over the world.  They even have special programs for students in college, those developers in third world countries.

#30 stappend

stappend

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Interesting that they sell the rooms 2 to a room, so if you are traveling by yourself you get a roomie for the trip.

#31 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,261 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:33 PM

For me, the major issue is whether ticketed passengers are kicked off, as was done for the Safety Patrol train.  That looks really, really bad and is a recipe for creating ill-will.

If this departure was sold to Train Jam before anyone else had a chance to buy tickets, I guess I'm OK with that.

Financially, I hope Amtrak has taken a hard look at how much money they'd get from just selling regular tickets vs. how much they get from doing this.  In this case, Train Jam probably makes them more money, since the CZ has some seriously weak ridership during that part of March.

I'm not so sure about the Safety Patrol train vs. the Silver Meteor, since the Meteor seems to get pretty good ridership at that time of year, Safety Patrol train numbers are declining, and I would suspect it might not make financial sense at this point.  'Course I'm biased against the Safety Patrol train because gender-segregating kids in the 21st century is nutso.

Edited by neroden, 04 December 2017 - 09:50 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#32 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

Still, good to see people clamoring to ride the rails. A pity Amtrak has such an equipment shortage it can't add more to the consist on days like this, but I understand the logistical issues even if they could (deadheading back east among others, unless this group would be doing a RT).

An equipment shortage has nothing to do with this. At this point, this train is almost maximum length for DEN. It holds 14 pieces of equipment on the pit. The consist is up to 11 cars (1 bag, 1 transdorm, 3 coaches, 3 sleepers, 1 diner, 2 lounges) and you have at least 2 diesels, for a total of 13. You have one more piece to play with and I'd bet real money they add another diesel, which would max you out.

Yet I was on The Canadian #1 in mid-May, when tour groups from Australia, England and elsewhere were dominant on board. There were 28 cars in the consist, plus locomotives. Are platforms in Canada really twice as long as one of ours in a major city? I did not notice multiple stops along each platform, at least when I was awake and paying attention.

I understand Canadian summer consists are often that large as well.

#33 JRR

JRR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

We had 27 in our consist on the Canadian ( a half mile long), in late June.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#34 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I'll just add that if you scroll down on http://discuss.amtra...-jam-cz-feb-23/there are some photos from the Train Jam that I stumbled into.

It was an amazing group of people and we never had a dinner conversation that wasn't interesting. The participants come from literally around the world, so plenty of conversation right there. And if there was an lull, all you had to do was ask about what they were doing for their Train Jam project to get them going again.

#35 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

My son is the CTO, and Chief Scientist at his software company.  He and his son have built their own gaming super power desktops for the ultimate gaming experience.  Though a sophomore in high school, he has broken several games when they first hit the streets.  Both were interested in making the trip,since they both are big coders, but found too many others want to make the trip.  Probably, double the size of the train and still sell it out, since the size grows each year.  Amtrak has to be making money on the one way sell out (100% sold out end to end).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users