If the 2018 has a sell out with many turn downs maybe Amtrak could do this.
1. Round up as many Superliners as possible.
2. put locos on the front and one on the rear. That might solve the HEP problem by dividing load between front and back. Of course train length would need to be limited to passenger train braking instead of freight train braking schedule..
3. At DEN split train at mid train break and turn front on wye and back both sections into DEN Union station leaving both locos at far end of platform(s). Ski train will probably need to be stored somewhere else.
4. Service train ; re board ; pull both sections to either side of wye; back one section onto other ; couple up and brake check rear section since front section can get its daily in station. Then whole train can continue onward.
5. Since the train will not have to make station stops except for crew and water stops it should be running close to or ahead of schedule ? There by arriving early still at EMY .
Possible ? Yes but not likely probable as equipment is certainly a problem . Are all Superliners equipped for loco MU control of rear loco ?
Edited by west point, 03 December 2017 - 06:38 PM.