Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Train Jam 2018: CZ (5) March 15-18

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

For reference, here is the previous thread regarding the operation of this train:

Train Jam CZ Feb 23

It seems like there has been some additional dialogue between the organizers and the Amtrak so let the debate begin:

Train Jam 2018: Announcements!

As always, we will be departing from Chicago’s Union Station and arriving in Emeryville, CA, which is just outside of San Francisco, California. Amtrak will provide shuttle buses for Train Jam attendees to complete the rest of the journey into downtown San Francisco

The Train

Continuing our partnership with Amtrak, we have been approved to rent out the entire California Zephyr again for Train Jam 2018. In addition, Amtrak has added one more sleeper car onto our train, which brings our maximum attendee capacity up to 340 people! This means that our train now consists of three coach class cars, three sleeper cars, one restaurant car, and two observation cars- which is A LOT of train cars.

PS: Don't forget the baggage car! You will also have a baggage car! ^_^

Ticket go on sale soon!

Public Ticket Sale

The public sale of Train Jam 2018’s tickets will start at 4:00pm Tuesday December 12, 2017 Central European Time. Here is a handy reference of what that means around the world! You will be able to find a link to purchase tickets on the front page of trainjam.com once sales go live.

Let's see how long it takes them to sell out this year.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 02 December 2017 - 02:16 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,364 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

What is Central European Time? :huh:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

https://www.timeandd.../time/zones/cet

I assume it is one of the things the Gamers will have figure if they really want to take this trip!

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,638 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

GMT +1
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

Their link says UTC+1, which means western and central Europe which includes Poland and Hungary, but not as far east as Romania

Edited by PaulM, 02 December 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,364 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

If it is on the CZ, why are they giving the time in Germany?:huh: UTC I might understand more, but not the local time in Rio or Moscow or Peking. After all, the CZ only runs in the US.

Edited by the_traveler, 02 December 2017 - 03:01 PM.

Take it easy .......

#7 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

If it is on the CZ, why are they giving the time in Germany? :huh: UTC I might understand more, but not the local time in Rio or Moscow or Peking. After all, the CZ only runs in the US.

Dude, this is a geek train. This is how we roll. In high school, I kept my watch set to GMT, because I could  :cool:.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#8 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

If it is on the CZ, why are they giving the time in Germany? :huh: UTC I might understand more, but not the local time in Rio or Moscow or Peking. After all, the CZ only runs in the US.

It is hazing at its best! Either you get it or you're left behind!!! ^_^

#9 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

Wow, a Train full of Geeks!

To paraphrase JFK: There hasn't been such a collection of Intellect in one place since Thomas Jefferson dined alone!😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Probably smart of Amtrak to make sure it is just the Geek group since they have sold 340 tickets, including filling three sleepers. 

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,364 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

That is 340 total, but it is not a charter just for that group. It is a regular run of the CZ.

If somebody is unlucky enough to have to go from Grand Junction to Helper or Ely to Truckee that day, they can buy tickets. However, there may be hundreds of geeks aboard also. That is why Amtrak is adding an extra coach, an extra sleeper and an extra SSL to that run.

Edited by the_traveler, 02 December 2017 - 11:23 PM.

Take it easy .......

#12 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,638 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

If somebody is unlucky enough to have to go from Grand Junction to Helper or Ely to Truckee that day, they can buy tickets.

No they can’t, the train jam people have bought the entire train from end to end.

True, it is a regular run, but it’s a regular run with every seat (including the extras) sold to a single customer before anyone else could book.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#13 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Yep.
http://trainjam.com/about
"Our fourth year was our largest yet, and marked the first time that we were able to rent out the entire California Zephyr! "[/size]
That was last March.

Just tired to book DEN to SLC March 16 - SOLD OUT

"Problem with Availability: At least one portion of your trip is unavailable. Revise your travel dates and times so we may search for other available options. 
[Error ID: 578S]"

Edited by KmH, 03 December 2017 - 09:39 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#14 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,364 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

I hope that they paid extra to charter a train that is not a charter.

It is not fair for those who must travel that day that they can not get a reservation. And we complain that the Safety Patrol takes the whole SM for a few days from regular passengers.
Take it easy .......

#15 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

They tend to pick up the costs for the extra equipment. Additionally, if you read the previous thread, you'll see the year they didn't reserve the whole train, the sponsors were kind enough to pick up the tab for everyone to use the cafe car.

As I've asked before: How is it unfair that a train is sold out?  What's the difference between this train being sold out and any other train that is sold out? What's the difference between this group taking all of the seats (before they even went on sale to the general public) and another group (or family) taking the last seats on the train?

And we complain that the Safety Patrol takes the whole SM for a few days from regular passengers.

Yes....you do.

#16 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

The Good News is that the Zephyr is SOLD OUT!

The Bad News is that the Zephyr is SOLD OUT!🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#17 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

The Good News is that the Zephyr is SOLD OUT!

The Bad News is that the Zephyr is SOLD OUT!

The better news is it is sold out with a BIGGER consist than it normally runs.....for the ENTIRE length.

#18 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

Wow. I can just imagine the "stimulating" convo that will take place in the SSL and Diner. Snore....

Many years ago, I was "privileged" to get a ticket on the now-defunct Rio Grande Zephyr westbound from Denver. Almost everyone on board was part of some conference of archivists. Librarians would be a lively bunch in comparison.

Still, good to see people clamoring to ride the rails. A pity Amtrak has such an equipment shortage it can't add more to the consist on days like this, but I understand the logistical issues even if they could (deadheading back east among others, unless this group would be doing a RT).

#19 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm sure game developers and archivists would say the same about rail fans.

Wow. I can just imagine the "stimulating" convo that will take place in the SSL and Diner. Snore....

Many years ago, I was "privileged" to get a ticket on the now-defunct Rio Grande Zephyr westbound from Denver. Almost everyone on board was part of some conference of archivists. Librarians would be a lively bunch in comparison.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#20 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

A trip report from someone who was with them before they secure exclusive occupancy tells a different tale:

I first found out about TrainJam in 2015 when I was (by pure coincidence) on the California Zephyr that they were on. I remember sitting in my room in Chicago as folks were boarding, and thinking "Man, this is youngest crowd ever on Amtrak. This is gonna be FUN." They had these great "Fun Meter" buttons that you could move the meter on from like 0 to 10.

Their event has grown every year. 2015 they shared the same lounge as the rest of the passengers, which led to a few issues that the group handled professionally. Last year (and I believe this year) they have their own lounge car and cafe (the line up sponsors to pick up the cafe car tab). It's a great group of friendly, energetic programmers and game developers from around the world. Overall I think it's a very cool event and idea. Should they be doing it with private cars? Maybe, but I'm guessing the economics of that don't work out at all for the group or the attendees - there just aren't enough berths and space in private cars. TrainJam is also able to split roomettes, not with Amtrak but on their own rooming list.

In terms of "suspending service" - the train is sold out, does it matter at all HOW it got sold out?

Interestingly one of the real challenges they have is the power capacity in the cars. On my train there were numerous blackout and brownouts - I think this is something the organizers have gotten a better handle on.

In terms of the games created and conjectured with sarcasm in a previous post, all the games are available here: http://trainjam.com/games

They have a 'theme' each year - I think in 2015 it was "on track". If you go to that link, the output and creativity are absolutely impressive. Even more so when you consider how many distractions there are on the California Zephyr. It's fun to follow the @trainjam Twitter and IG and see how many developers post "I'm so behind on my game because of the awesome views from the train".

Tab in the Cafe car that was picked up by sponsors. Past Reno it was pretty slim pickings.

Still, good to see people clamoring to ride the rails. A pity Amtrak has such an equipment shortage it can't add more to the consist on days like this, but I understand the logistical issues even if they could (deadheading back east among others, unless this group would be doing a RT).

An equipment shortage has nothing to do with this. At this point, this train is almost maximum length for DEN. It holds 14 pieces of equipment on the pit. The consist is up to 11 cars (1 bag, 1 transdorm, 3 coaches, 3 sleepers, 1 diner, 2 lounges) and you have at least 2 diesels, for a total of 13. You have one more piece to play with and I'd bet real money they add another diesel, which would max you out.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 03 December 2017 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users