Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Hangin' On In The Cold.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Happened in 2009, but I just heard about it.

http://www.theaustra...6e1b650b33d5188

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#2 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

I wish there was still such a thing as cold.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#3 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:41 PM

I wish there was still such a thing as cold.

I invite you to visit Lincoln, Montana and stay for the winter if cold doesn’t exist.

#4 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Only if it regularly drops below -30.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#5 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

Only if it regularly drops below -30.

Then I invite you to overwinter in Barrow, Alaska.

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Or your favorite City in Canada Lion: Winterpeg!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Lucky to be alive....almost as bad as those crazies trying to stow away in the wheel well of an airliner....few of them survive....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

There's not a lot of O2 at 35,000 feet, not to mention the air temp at that altitude.

This kid in the linked to story was hanging on as the train traversed the Aussie Outback during the down under winter.

Mr Vance also had to deal with the severe windchill factor, which according to a weather calculator puts the temperature around -7C.
(19.4° F)

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#9 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Lucky to be alive....almost as bad as those crazies trying to stow away in the wheel well of an airliner....few of them survive....

Have you ever bothered to read up on the places those people are trying to escape? To me it doesn't sound like they're crazy so much as hopelessly desperate and uneducated on the risks involved.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

I have.   I suppose you do have a point, there....but then again, they are not in the position of someone jumping out of a burning high rise building....they may have other choices....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

What is your basis for assuming they have other choices?
Posted Image

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

I have.   I suppose you do have a point, there....but then again, they are not in the position of someone jumping out of a burning high rise building....they may have other choices....

Like? Put yourself in their shoes and see what you can come up with. It is fine to prognosticate sitting in a nice room with ones belly full and freedom to do whatever, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#13 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

Not being in their immediate situation....I can't give a good answer....but there must be other ways of escaping their desperate situation.... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#14 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

There's not a lot of O2 at 35,000 feet, not to mention the air temp at that altitude.

This kid in the linked to story was hanging on as the train traversed the Aussie Outback during the down under winter.

Mr Vance also had to deal with the severe windchill factor, which according to a weather calculator puts the temperature around -7C.

(19.4° F)
When I flew from London to Tampa in early November, the air temperature was -72° F as we went past Bermuda. Considering that is only fall in a tropical region, it seems virtually impossible that someone could survive a flight exposed to air at that altitude when considering all the hazards.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP, SS FTL-MIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users