Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Riding the Canadian 2017, Toronto to Vancouver

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

I second what Lonestar648 said,Now is all there is!

I honestly don't think that the really expensive upgrade for the Premium Service is worth it.

Ride this train in the Winter from Vancouver to Toronto when the consist is much smaller, the Train is uncrowded and the price is right, especially if you book a Lower Berth which is Very comfortable and you still get all the benefits except the free booze and a reserved seat in the Park Car Dome which,IMO,aren't worth several thousand dollars additional!

Book it Danno!

I've heard great things about the Canadian's open sections, but I think I'd be kind of nervous spending four nights in an open car. Looking more at the Prestige rooms, they seem incredibly nice, but almost $10K for two people one way in a room with only one bed, is a tad...ridiculous. That would be a once in a lifetime thing (at best) for almost anyone.

To get a sense of how that compares to Amtrak, my dream cross country trip would be:

Cardinal (roomette) - EB or CZ (Family Bedroom) - Coast Starlight (roomette) - Sunset/Eagle (Family Bedroom) - Cardinal (Roomette)

That would total out at around $2500 for two people. So a Prestige room on the Canadian would cost around four times as much, have either half or a quarter the beds, and go less than half the distance. I could ride every LD train in the country end to end for around half what they charge for Prestige on the Canadian. That just seems unjustifiable.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,922 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

The Sections on the Canadian are only "open" during daytime.

Your SCA will put the heavy curtains up that make the Berths private after Dinner.

As has been said, the Shower and Bathroom are close by, and you'll spend most of your time in the Diner,Domes and Park Car when you are not asleep.

I've been in Sections ( Upper and Lower Berths) and Cabins for One( aka Roomette), and the Lower Berth is much more comfortable than the Cabin IMO.

You should be able to do the trip for under $1,000 CDN in the Winter if you book one of the Specials, usually offered for Tuesday Departures since the Train only runs twice a,week in the "Off Season".
  • cpotisch likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,642 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

If we disqualify extremely isolated fishing villages, remote research installations, and hazardous fossil fuel extraction zones then $10K should be more than enough to visit almost anywhere a tourist would ever want to go.  Not just highly industrialized locations such as Paris or Tokyo or Oslo but also truly exotic locations like Tanzania, French Polynesia, the Galapagos, and the Maldives.  So, if taking VIA across Canada in Prestige Class is the most amazing experience you can possibly imagine then by all means save up and spend the money.  On the other hand, if you think you might end up having to sacrifice an even more amazing experience somewhere else then booking Prestige Class might not be worth that level of expense.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 03 May 2018 - 04:57 PM.

• JRR and cpotisch like this

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

I'll probably go this October I'm thinking with some friends. But for me as long as the discounted rate is available 21 days out I can go 75 percent off.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users