Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Woman suing over Empire Builder rape case

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

Which leaves me wondering how men will go about pursuing women in a socially acceptable manner in the future.  Perhaps women will eventually become the primary romantic pursuers if the new social contract begins to favor their interests over time.

This, exactly..

All the women I dated including the one who became my wife, I all met  in social situations, at parties, dances and such.

These days a lot of dating appears to be on the internet. At least we see lots of advertising by dating agencies and I know several people who went down that path.

Maybe this is a result of men being more apprehensive about going up to and making small talk with a woman, for fear of it being considered harrasment. 

My mind boggles at this, in the context of this thread about a violent rape committed by an Amtrak employee whose job specifically includes ensuriing the safety of the passenger who became his victim. (I'm talking to cirdan, here, not DA, whose quote he cherry-picked from a more thoughtful paragraph.)

Can we perhaps agree that rape isn't at all akin to even the most inept or inappropriate "small talk?"  

Coming back to the original subject of this thread: Is there any reason why Amtrak could not have responded to the arbitration's order to re-hire this employee by assigning the employee some sort of work that didn't include direct responsibility for passenger safety?

• Ryan, daybeers and CAMISSY55 like this

#102 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

That would appear to make sense, but without reading the actual decision and order, I certainly can't say.

#103 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

Which leaves me wondering how men will go about pursuing women in a socially acceptable manner in the future.  Perhaps women will eventually become the primary romantic pursuers if the new social contract begins to favor their interests over time.

This, exactly..

All the women I dated including the one who became my wife, I all met  in social situations, at parties, dances and such.

These days a lot of dating appears to be on the internet. At least we see lots of advertising by dating agencies and I know several people who went down that path.

Maybe this is a result of men being more apprehensive about going up to and making small talk with a woman, for fear of it being considered harrasment. 

My mind boggles at this, in the context of this thread about a violent rape committed by an Amtrak employee whose job specifically includes ensuriing the safety of the passenger who became his victim. (I'm talking to cirdan, here, not DA, whose quote he cherry-picked from a more thoughtful paragraph.)

Can we perhaps agree that rape isn't at all akin to even the most inept or inappropriate "small talk?"  

i was never suggesting that.

I was merely responding to a point raised by another poster, that had nothing to do with the original topic of the thread.

#104 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

Coming back to the original subject of this thread: Is there any reason why Amtrak could not have responded to the arbitration's order to re-hire this employee by assigning the employee some sort of work that didn't include direct responsibility for passenger safety?

As previously discussed:

Based on what is being said about about the laws protecting employees, I think there needs to be a provision that keeps criminals from endangering the public.  No woman, child, or man needs to be concerned about the people who are working around them, who are trusted because they work for the company.  In this case, the union twice, supported successfully, an employee who is a sexual predator. Question: If Amtrak was required to rehire this person, could they have placed him in a non-public position or were they required to place him in OBS?

It would depend on the ruling of the PLB. If they impose limitations, you would have to follow them. However, if the PLB reinstated them in all capacities, the company would have no choice but to reinstate them in all capacities since this is a binding decision.  Once they are back, they must be treated evenly, fairly and with consistency, otherwise the company runs the risk of being cited for retaliation or harassment which is typically a provision of reinstatement.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#105 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted Today, 03:45 AM

As previously discussed:

Based on what is being said about about the laws protecting employees, I think there needs to be a provision that keeps criminals from endangering the public.  No woman, child, or man needs to be concerned about the people who are working around them, who are trusted because they work for the company.  In this case, the union twice, supported successfully, an employee who is a sexual predator. Question: If Amtrak was required to rehire this person, could they have placed him in a non-public position or were they required to place him in OBS?

It would depend on the ruling of the PLB. If they impose limitations, you would have to follow them. However, if the PLB reinstated them in all capacities, the company would have no choice but to reinstate them in all capacities since this is a binding decision.  Once they are back, they must be treated evenly, fairly and with consistency, otherwise the company runs the risk of being cited for retaliation or harassment which is typically a provision of reinstatement.

So it's still Amtrak's fault for not having an airtight case against him. Shouldn't have lost arbitration.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#106 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,998 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Today, 04:23 AM

I’m not sure any of us have enough facts to make that judgement.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users