Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Woman suing over Empire Builder rape case

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 lthanlon

lthanlon

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

From Great Falls Tribune — "A North Carolina woman is suing Amtrak after she was violently raped on the passenger train by an employee as it passed by Wolf Point in 2015, alleging the carrier had the responsibility to protect her from employees such as her assailant, who had a long and 'egregious disciplinary record.'" Read full story.

L.T. Hanlon | Chicago, USA
Trains traveled: California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

... boarded the Empire Builder train in Washington, DC ...

???? The EB does not go to WAS!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 lthanlon

lthanlon

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

... boarded the Empire Builder train in Washington, DC ...

???? The EB does not go to WAS!

Copy editors on vacation. Story probably meant she began her journey in Washington, D.C. 

Trains traveled: California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle

#4 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

“boarded the Empire Builder train in Washington, D.C. headed west. “
Great reporting again by the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#5 lthanlon

lthanlon

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

“boarded the Empire Builder train in Washington, D.C. headed west. “
Great reporting again by the media.

Could have been worse. At least the reporter didn't have the conductor "driving the train."   :)

#6 GBNorman

GBNorman

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

This incident will cost Amtrak "heap big wampum" - and it should!

By now, Amtrak knows, or at least should, that they must be extra vigilant in the hiring process, and that the background check complete before one is ever hired - especially for public contact work. Even the Union, the ASWC, had to know this guy was "trouble", but they knew that if they did not defend him through all levels of the discipline and appeals process under the Agreement and the Railway Labor Act, he would turn around and seek damages under the "failure to represent" provisions of the Landrum-Griffin Act.

But who are the real losers - the vast majority of Amtrak employees who do their jobs courteously and efficiently - and all the time putting up with "crap" too voluminous to discuss here.

#7 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

No words. She should get every penny she asks for. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Union or no Union,why isnt this cretin in Jail? And where were the other Crew Members and other passengers on the train during this attack?😣🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

Union or no Union,why isnt this cretin in Jail? And where were the other Crew Members and other passengers on the train during this attack?😣🤔

The article says that he was sentenced to 60 years in prison.

https://app.mt.gov/c...6b2675fd8352559

DOC ID# 3020134
NAME: Charles Henry Pinner
CURRENT STATUS: INMATE
LAST STATUS CHANGE: Tuesday, August 15, 2017
INFORMATION CURRENT AS OF: Monday, November 27, 2017
PRISON:
CROSSROADS CORRECTIONAL CENTER
50 Crossroads Drive
SHELBY, MT 59474
(406) 434-7055

#10 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Union or no Union,why isnt this cretin in Jail? And where were the other Crew Members and other passengers on the train during this attack?

Um, he is.  Did you read the article?

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#11 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Its shocking that this could happen. It is possible. Assume the guy got in there and closed and locked the door and the bed was down. If he prevents or scares her into silence then it's possible.

Don't know how full that car was. The crew would have to be passing through at exactly the right time. This guy definitely monitored husband surroundings.

#12 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Union or no Union,why isnt this cretin in Jail? And where were the other Crew Members and other passengers on the train during this attack?

Um, he is.  Did you read the article?
Sorry,couldn't get the Link to open! Hope this Turd doesn't ever see the Sun again, and the Woman receives a Nice Check and received a Sincere Apogy from Amtrak.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Its shocking that this could happen. It is possible. Assume the guy got in there and closed and locked the door and the bed was down. If he prevents or scares her into silence then it's possible.

Don't know how full that car was. The crew would have to be passing through at exactly the right time. This guy definitely monitored husband surroundings.

Not sure what exactly you meant by the bolded part, but if you mean as to whether her husband was nearby, no, she was traveling with her sisters.  Though I did not read the whole article, I presume her husband (if she had one and he's alive) was not traveling with her.

#14 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Not sure what exactly you meant by the bolded part, but if you mean as to whether her husband was nearby, no, she was traveling with her sisters.  Though I did not read the whole article, I presume her husband (if she had one and he's alive) was not traveling with her.

Looks to be autocorrect coming up with something unintended.  If I were to guess it would have been "definitely monitored his immediate surroundings".

#15 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Does anyone else feel like this is just the ultimate extreme of what we all constantly complain about? There seems to be no accountability at Amtrak. Employees are in a culture where they don't feel like they have to follow any rules, nor is there any direct supervisor on board.

I also really dislike the fact that Amtrak is saying "it's not our fault" instead of saying "we are currently conducting complete background checks on all employees, along with retraining staff to make sure nothing like this ever happens again" 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#16 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

There IS a supervisor on board! He or she is called the Conductor!

Or do you mean someone who watches over you all the time?:huh: When I worked for the IRS in Arizona, my Supervisor was in Phoenix - 260 miles away. Then due to a realignment of districts, my Supervisor was in Las Vegas - 125 miles away. My Supervisor did not look over my shoulder every day, but I did have to report to her.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#17 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

No words. She should get every penny she asks for. 

Yes the woman deserves to be largely compensated for the vicious rape on her by this criminal savage. While I do hope that she wins a million dollar award, the end result is that the tax payer ends up footing the bill for Amtrak's negligence.

#18 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

There IS a supervisor on board! He or she is called the Conductor!

Or do you mean someone who watches over you all the time? :huh: When I worked for the IRS in Arizona, my Supervisor was in Phoenix - 260 miles away. Then due to a realignment of districts, my Supervisor was in Las Vegas - 125 miles away. My Supervisor did not look over my shoulder every day, but I did have to report to her.

The last I hear the LSA was the manager of OBS correct?

So in the IRS office there was no office manager? seems odd. 

#19 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Looks to be autocorrect coming up with something unintended.  If I were to guess it would have been "definitely monitored his immediate surroundings".

Yes you correctly interpreted my intent. I need to proofread better.

#20 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

I wonder how many of fun us have had this creep for an sca. And how many times was he reported for other stuff besides the charges already mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users