Child under 2 years old

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nebraska

We will be traveling on the CZ in the family room - 2 adults, 5 year old, 3 year old, and less than 2 year old. The ticket does NOT list the name of the under 2 - is that ok?

Nothing unusual. Even if you declare an infant at the time of booking, nothing shows up on the ticket (for whatever reason) that indicates that there's an infant. When my kid was under 2, we arrived and the conductor clearly acknowledged that he saw both of us listed on the manifest.

Of course you theoretically would need to share a seat if it's coach, but I've heard of attendants clearing a seat for the infant.

If you listed the infant when purchasing the ticket, you are fine. All transportation companies need to know everyone who is traveling in case of an emergency. You will do fine in the Family Room, space for all of you, daytime and at night.

We have traveled multiple times on the train with our daughter, who is about 2 1/2. We would always list her, and the conductor would always ask about her. They never asked for ID. I would contact Amtrak and add her - it is free, and I am sure that they will make it easy. It will also eliminate any confusion/delays both before and after you are on the train. The only downside is that the infant cannot accrue Guest Reward points!

Infants (below 2 years old) do not count as fare paying passengers. They are not entitled to a seat, which is a moot point in a sleeper. There are specific ratios applicable to adult to child and infant ratios that may cause a child to be ticketed as an adult, or an infant as a child, but again, that is not your situation. Unless dealing with unaccompanied minors or border crossing, I am pretty sure Amtrak ID policies only apply to passengers above 18 years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back