Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Using public restroom with viewliner roomette?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Would having the lower bunk made up with the pillow end away from the commode be an option?  That way, when the person in the top bunk had to take a whiz, it would be by the feet of the lower bunk occupant.

#22 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

Would having the lower bunk made up with the pillow end away from the commode be an option?

My recollection is that the pillow end of the lower bunk is away from the toilet. Isn't the bunk wider at the closet end and narrower at the sink end, and isn't the pillow at the wider end?

#23 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

SOP is for the feet to be at the toilet end not the head.

#24 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

Might be OK for some but not mixed company in my case. 

#25 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,867 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

God help somebody riding with me if they woke me up to use the toilet!
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#26 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Would having the lower bunk made up with the pillow end away from the commode be an option?

My recollection is that the pillow end of the lower bunk is away from the toilet. Isn't the bunk wider at the closet end and narrower at the sink end, and isn't the pillow at the wider end?

Yes. And I believe that's the only way the SCA will make up the bed; pillow at the far end away from the commode.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#27 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Add that you are taking a child with you, things are now more complicated, especially at night.

I have been traveling for years with my kid. At night, he's fast asleep up in the top bunk which makes it actually less complicated.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#28 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

Ok, two guys would work for #1, but with girls, privacy is critical, especially pre-teen on.  I have personal experience with 3 teen granddaughters.

#29 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,867 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

It honestly depends on the particular person.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#30 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

Exactly. To build on that, it depends on the traveling party. While I personally will be excited once the new Viewliner sleepers come out without an in-room toilet, my wife and I can share a roomette without any real issue. She actually prefers the Viewliners because of the upper window, and whenever we've gotten a sleeper it's always been a roomette together (we haven't paid for two separate sleeper areas, even with a roomette.)

#31 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

GML is absolutely correct. The whole toilet thing has generated very strong opinions in both camps. Keep in mind that a roomette is often used by single travelers, as well as for 2 people. That alone creates a huge dividing line......

#32 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

My twisted sense of humor compels me to post this little gem:  https://www.youtube....h?v=poX6HDC5rNU

Edited by niemi24s, 05 December 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#33 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,136 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

I travel alone and am a middle-aged woman.  I love having a toilet in my Viewliner roomette.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#34 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Let me see if I have the options.

1. Use an in-room toilet that is used only by the occupant(s). Take care of normal bodily functions without embarrassment.

2. Use an in-room toilet that is used only by the occupant(s). Take care of normal bodily functions after asking an acquaintance (who is probably a good friend), if any, to go sightseeing on the train.

3. Use a toilet in another car that has been sullied by who-knows-how-many total strangers of dubious hygiene.

Did I miss any?

#35 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hang on until a fuel or crew change stop and use the potty in the station?  

#36 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hang on until a fuel or crew change stop and use the potty in the station?  

Look for an empty room and hope the SCA doesn't catch you?

#37 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Is this the thread of the year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users