Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Bryan, OH to Staunton, VA

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jane_*

Guest_Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

The Amtrak website indicates this trip isn't possible. When I break the trip in two: Bryan to Chicago and Chicago to Staunton it looks like it would be workable with a long (8 hour) layover in Chicago. Would this be a workable trip? Thanks for your help. 

#2 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

Must be a computer glitch? Unless you are trying on days that train 50 does not operate. It only runs 3 days a week out of Chicago, Sat, Tue, Thur.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Must be a computer glitch? Unless you are trying on days that train 50 does not operate. It only runs 3 days a week out of Chicago, Sat, Tue, Thur.

Thanks. That is what I thought. I tried a couple different days because of the 50 only running 3 days per week. 

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

I also think that because it is a super long connection time that the computer does not show it is an option. Maybe the maximum connection time for it to be shown is 6-7 hours.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 TJGagliardo

TJGagliardo

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

Try reversing directions. From Bryan to D.C. to Staunton. Compare total time and fare to going through Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#6 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

It could be that no one put that city pair into the computer.

#7 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Try reversing directions. From Bryan to D.C. to Staunton. Compare total time and fare to going through Chicago.

Since the Capitol Ltd does not stop in Bryan, Ohio any eastbound connection would probably kick out as not available. The explanation regarding the layover in Chicago might be the other reason for it not working.  You will need to break up the trip in two segments *Bryan to Chicago: then Chicago to Staunton.  I suppose you could also do LSL to NYP and then out on the Cardinal the next day if you like riding trains.... :P

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    85,179 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

I also think that because it is a super long connection time that the computer does not show it is an option. Maybe the maximum connection time for it to be shown is 6-7 hours.

I actually think this is the reason as well. I don't see 8 hours in Chicago during the day as a bad thing. Gives time for some sight seeing. And trains are notoriously late, so the layover won't likely be nearly that long. I appreciate your input.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

The only train stopping in Bryan is the Lake Shore Limited which does not go to D.C.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users