Price reduction?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealink

Service Attendant
Hello everyone!

I am travelling from Boston to Chicago next month on the Lake Shore Limited.

I was looking forward to it... (until some poor customer service on Acela left me feeling a bit jaded) but I the price for the train appears to have dropped by USD 200.00.

Is this usual? Has anyone cancelled and rebooked (I think I have a flexible fare)...?

Thanks

Yes, prices can change as demand changes. Call Amtrak and request to have your reservation "modified" to the lower price, not too cancel.. The refund would be to the credit card you used. I and others have done this successfully and should avoid cancellation fees depending on the type of ticket and service. However, I don't know the effect of being from a foreign country would have on this.

Call, do not cancel and rebook. Just say you noticed a lower price and see if they can match it. Also, that might push you out of current room/car. I didn't know that when i did it and the agent moved me to a room i didn't prefer, so then i had to call back and get that straightened out.

Call, do not cancel and rebook. Just say you noticed a lower price and see if they can match it. Also, that might push you out of current room/car. I didn't know that when i did it and the agent moved me to a room i didn't prefer, so then i had to call back and get that straightened out.
This.
Ask to modify the ticket and not change the room, unless you want to try for a different room. If the agent says they can’t then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

. . . the price for the train appears to have dropped by USD 200.00.
The fare structure for the Lake Shore Limited is shown below:

4 Nov 17 Fare Bucketsa.jpg

If you are going by coach (with no sleeping accommodation) then the maximum possible fare change should have been $279 - 91 = US$188. If you bought a Roomette or Bedroom, the maximum price change could have been as much as US$606!

But follow the good advise given above - have your ticket modified. Do not even use the word "cancel". If the agent at Amtrak tells you it must be cancelled and then re-booked, ask to speak to a supervisor or call back later (and you'll no doubt contact a different agent who, hopefully, knows the modification process).

P.S.: Detected what appears to be a minor irregularity in the prices of Flexible fares: On 24 and 26 Nov it's US$222 (one of the buckets) going from CHI to BOS, but on 17 Nov for the other direction it's US$218. But maybe that's not unusual for Flexible fares - don't track them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. EZ peezy, extra cheesy.

Back in July I booked a CZ trip for March '18, Ottumwa - Sacramento - Ottumwa, as 2 reservations - westbound, eastbound.

I checked today and the westbound leg was $67 less, while the eastbound leg was $97 less.

So I called Amtrak and MODIFIED both reservations to the lower price.

I opted for a couple of vouchers because next fall I want to do a California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Illinois Zephyr northern tier loop: Galesburg - Sacramento - Portland - Chicago - Galesburg.

While my July made reservations had me in Roomette #2 (cars 0531 & 0631) on both reservations, the new reservations moved me to Roomette #4 both ways - car 0532 westbound, car 0631 eastbound.

When I modified my for the coast Starlight they did the same thing and moved me to a new room. I don't know if they're reservation system will show your room as book when modifying reservation requiring them to move rooms (as easiest way to modify) unless there's a supervisor override?

Also it is my belief that the voucher is the go to refund as it is the easiest way for them to offer your funds back to your acct during the modification process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Voucher. Put the refund penalty somewhere the sun never shines.
default_wink.png

Back