Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Zephyr in Winter

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 chakk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:16 AM

That part of the CZ route through Gore Canyon has been there for over 100 years.
Back when the route was first built it was a marvel of late 1800s engineering and rail line construction.
With that part of the route being a grade the train has to go pretty slow up or down the grade.
Has any train ever gone off the rails anywhere between Hot Sulphur Springs (Mile Post 86 & top of Byers Canyon) and the bottom of Gore Canyon (MP 112)?

There was a freight train collision with another train near Hot Sulphur Springs back in the 1950’s. There is a video about it on YouTube. Involved some “loss of situational awareness”. Rockslides in Gore Canyon have closed the line several times. And I’ve gone thru on the CZ once at 10 mph when a heavy spring snowfall brought down the signaling wires. But I’ve never heard of a derailment dumping passengers into the river in the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#82 railiner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

I remember this accident in the Fraser Canyon, a few miles east of Granby, back in 1985.  I was one of several station employees from Denver that were sent on the rescue buses to Granby to assist with the transfer of passenger's and baggage....

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users