Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

SWC ABQ going west if late need hotel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jannie

jannie

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hopefully coming from East going West Train will arrive close to on time in Albuquerque, NM as have rental car reservation --- if not will need a hotel either nearby or within low cost taxi ride.  Rental Car office is about a mile from the train station.  Any low cost (safe area) hotels that fit that? Thanks.  

#2 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

Until somebody chimes in with something better, here's a link to the closest hotel to the train station:   https://www.tripadvi...New_Mexico.html  The map feature there will let you see what's closest to the car rental office - wherever that might be.

Edited by niemi24s, 13 November 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#3 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

I stayed with my wife at the Route 66 Hostel (1012 Central Avenue) https://www.tripadvi...New_Mexico.html
They have dorm rooms and several private rooms with bathroom. Our room was pepto pink at the top of the stairs.
There is good cheap bus service along Central Avenue (old US 66).

#4 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Several years ago we stayed at the recently restored Hotel Andaluz a few walkable blocks from the station. It was wonderful - and the original Hilton hotel that Conrad Hilton started many years ago.

#5 ABQFloridian

ABQFloridian

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

If you want close, you can't beat the Andaluz. If you want cheap, the airport Motel 6 is a less than 5 minute drive. There is also a Day's Inn 6 blocks east on Central, and a Knights in 2 blocks further that are both walking distance and cheap.

Edit: P.S. In regards to the hotels being in a safe area, I, as a physically fit young man, have never felt unsafe downtown, but during our current mayoral campaign they've gone on and on about how unsafe it is, so it occurred to me you might feel unsafe even in the blocks around the station, in which case you should know that any branch of a hotel with airport or university in its name is within 5 minutes by cab.

Edited by ABQFloridian, 14 November 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#6 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

In years past, Albuquerque has been considered specifically unsafe for women walking alone at night. YMMV, but I'd recommend caution.

The Parq Central hotel is fairly near Amtrak, and a unique experience--it's a former mental hospital, now a very comfortable boutique hotel. And the Standard Diner (nearby, roughly midway between Parq Central and Andaluz) has good food and drink, and offers a comfortable welcome to all sorts--women alone, elders, and children included.

#7 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

If the rates are not too high, we stay at the Hotel Andaluz. A very nice place with fantastic lobby and very E conscious. A decent walk in daylight, but at night you might want to grab a quick taxi.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    85,179 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#8 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

I stayed at the Parq Central in 2012. I recall that it was also the Santa Fe Railroad hospital for employees. It is an upscale place.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#9 ABQFloridian

ABQFloridian

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

The rooftop lounge at the Parq Central is one of the best views in the city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users