Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Extremely loud, long announcements on Capitol Corridor!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

i see nothing wrong with the announcement in the OP. Passengers boarding the train need to know they are on the right train and many people need to be reminded of the rules. If everyone used common sense and was polite, such announcements would not be necessary, but of course, not everyone has common sense and is polite. Station arrivals need to be announced ahead of time. Not everyone has knowledge of the route and knows what station stop is next. If you're annoyed, get some ear plugs. 

Why should self sufficient people be expected to defer to the needs of the lazy and ignorant?  In any other era those people would have likely starved to death before reaching adulthood.  Also, ear plugs can't block something as loud as an Amtrak PA system.

Do you ever have a nice day, Devil?

#22 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

I had no idea I was lazy and ignorant last night when I was surprised I'd somehow got so engrossed in my reading that I was taken aback that we were already in New Carrollton and had no recollection of going through Baltimore in the general darkness outside.

That could happen to anybody. My dad fell asleep on metra more than once and I would have to drive a couple of stops down line to pick him up.

Once I was riding the transition in Vancouver, bc. When it got to the end of the line, I had the bright idea of staying onboard while it switched directions to go back. I had not expected it to go into the yard. I pressed the button explained my situation, and they stopped the train and took me back to the station. It was all automated so pretty interesting. On this situation I claim stupidity because I ignored the announcement to get off the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#23 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

i see nothing wrong with the announcement in the OP. Passengers boarding the train need to know they are on the right train and many people need to be reminded of the rules. If everyone used common sense and was polite, such announcements would not be necessary, but of course, not everyone has common sense and is polite. Station arrivals need to be announced ahead of time. Not everyone has knowledge of the route and knows what station stop is next. If you're annoyed, get some ear plugs.

Why should self sufficient people be expected to defer to the needs of the lazy and ignorant?  In any other era those people would have likely starved to death before reaching adulthood.  Also, ear plugs can't block something as loud as an Amtrak PA system.

Do you ever have a nice day, Devil?

Yeah, whenever the PA is broken and quiet it's a wonderful day. I suppose it would probably suck to have a major accident under those conditions, but you gotta to take the good with the bad.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#24 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

What kind of PA system has no mic input level or speaker output level controls?

The vast majority of intercom/PA systems on the various passenger railroads generally have an internal settings. They can not be adjusted in the field which is why I made the statement below:

The on board employees can't really control the volume of the PA system.  Some work better than others. You probably should have told him/her the announcements were loud (which is subjective) so they could write it up or use another PA.

If the system is too loud, too soft, over modulating, buzzing or not working, a technician will address it. 

I took a Capitol Corridor train today and the overzealous conductor/attendant (whoever makes the manual announcements) spent the entire trip making long, repeated announcements over and over again on the PA system which was set to Volume = 100. It was something on the lines of-

"THIS IS CAPITOL CORRIDOR TRAIN NUMBER 3 7 3 TO SAN JOSE, THIS IS A SAN JOSE BOUND TRAIN. A REMINDER- THE LOWER LEVEL SEATS ARE RESERVED FOR PASSENGERS WITH DISABILITIES ONLY, ALL GENERAL SEATING IS ON THE UPPER LEVEL. I REPEAT THE LOWER LEVEL SEATS ARE FOR PASSENGERS WHO CANNOT MAKE THEIR WAY UP THE STAIRS ONLY, IF YOU CAN MAKE YOUR WAY UP, TAKE UP ALL SEATS ON THE UPPER LEVEL. REMEMBER EVERYONE, ONE SEAT ONE TICKET. IF YOU HAVE A BAG YOU SHOULD PUT IT IN THE STORAGE SPACE BETWEEN THE SEATS, NOT BETWEEN THE TABLES. YOU NEED TO KEEP THE SPACE UNDER THE TABLES OPEN FOR OTHER PASSENGERS. IF YOU ARE AT A SEAT WITH TABLES, IT IS SHARED SEATING. WHEN YOU TAKE UP THAT SEAT YOU AGREE THAT IT IS SHARED SEATING AND OTHER PASSENGERS WILL SHARE THE TABLE. ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS CAPITOL CORRIDOR TRAIN 3 7 3 TO SAN JOSE, SAN JOSE BOUND TRAIN, LAST CALL!"

Imagine hearing this loooong spiel at EVERY station, in the most unfriendly power-tripping voice, from speakers that were LOUD. I almost wanted to get up midway and tell him STAAAHPP PLEASE STAAHP! 

So... is this normal? Can I even complain to Amtrak about something like this? 

If you want to get technical, you got off lucky. Unless there is a local update, I don't see anything about homeland security , the quiet car, the cafe car, recycling, emergency procedures, using the seat backs and/or handrails while walking through the train, wearing shoes, smoking policies etc, all of which are supposed to mentioned during the initial announcement and after departing major stops.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 13 November 2017 - 08:47 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#25 DoB

DoB

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

THE LOWER LEVEL SEATS ARE RESERVED FOR PASSENGERS WITH DISABILITIES ONLY, ALL GENERAL SEATING IS ON THE UPPER LEVEL. 

Is this an actual Amtrak policy?
Like all things Amtrak, it depends.

You can book( Reserve) downstairs Coach Seats (and Roomettes and even the Family Room)but if a Downstairs seat is needed for a disabled person, the Amtrak Crew can move you upstairs or even to a different car.
The Capitol Corridor doesn't have sleepers and has unreserved seating in coach.

#26 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

The vast majority of intercom/PA systems on the various passenger railroads generally have an internal settings. They can not be adjusted in the field which is why I made the statement below: If the system is too loud, too soft, over modulating, buzzing or not working, a technician will address it.

I don't doubt or dispute you.  I just find it borderline nuts that someone actually designed it that way intentionally.  To be fair 1970/1980's aircraft PA's are pretty bad as well, but at least they were typically used less than Amtrak's PA's and are being replaced by more modern systems with better controls today.  Speaking of which, are the "new" Viewliners coming with operator adjustable controls or are they the same PA design as the original 1980's order?

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 14 November 2017 - 11:44 AM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#27 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

If you are in the sleeper shouldnt all these announcements be part of the SCA greeting and explanation of how the room works shortly after you board as well as advising of your stop and helping with luggage, if needed?

#28 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

THE LOWER LEVEL SEATS ARE RESERVED FOR PASSENGERS WITH DISABILITIES ONLY, ALL GENERAL SEATING IS ON THE UPPER LEVEL. 

Is this an actual Amtrak policy?

It is on the Capitol Corridor.

#29 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

We've heard all that before with the addition of another sentence on the CZ shortly after it left CHI,  that advised "and I must remind that smoking is strictly prohibited on this train. If I catch anyone smoking, you will not receive a warning. You WILL be put off the train at the next stop"  . It seems to me that passengers continue to break rules and that these forceful warnings are necessary.

#30 fillyjonk

fillyjonk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Some years back, I was traveling on the TE in the summer. They made **many** announcements about not walking barefoot (violates health law if you go into a food car, not to mention, you could lose a toe in the "pinch points").

They obviously had people who didn't believe it because they made it multiple times....and between stations so everyone on board had heard it at least once.

I was eating in the diner and was seated with a man and his 11-ish year old daughter. When the PA roared into life again, she remarked, "They sure to make that announcement a lot."

"That's because people don't listen the first time" I remarked.

Both she and her dad laughed.

(I am a college prof, so "because people don't listen the first time" is often a part of my life....I will just get done going over when the next exam is and what it will cover, and there will be SOMEONE going "you never told us what day the exam is on!" I once had someone claim "you never told us that!" about some class policy - they were a problem person - and at least two other people in the class turned around and said to them "YES SHE DID")

#31 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Some years back, I was traveling on the TE in the summer. They made **many** announcements about not walking barefoot (violates health law if you go into a food car, not to mention, you could lose a toe in the "pinch points"). They obviously had people who didn't believe it because they made it multiple times....and between stations so everyone on board had heard it at least once. I was eating in the diner and was seated with a man and his 11-ish year old daughter. When the PA roared into life again, she remarked, "They sure to make that announcement a lot." "That's because people don't listen the first time" I remarked. Both she and her dad laughed.

I've heard Amtrak's safety announcements a few thousand times at this point and in my experience it has rarely if ever been about walking barefoot in the diner.  It has almost always been about walking without shoes anywhere on the train.  Which probably sounds great to a smug professor, until he stops to consider that 99% of the casual shoes on board wouldn't do much of anything to protect your toes if they were stuck in an actual pinch point.

Personally I think the main issue with wearing shoes on Amtrak revolves around the fact that the bathrooms are allowed to slide into lord of the flies conditions, so if you were to wear socks in there you'd track even more human waste into the rest of the car.  But admitting that Amtrak doesn't care enough to actually clean the bathrooms doesn't sound nearly as "helpful" as warning people to remember their shoes, so that's the direction they went.

Speaking of which, I recently flew on new airline (EVA) and they had the most amazing PA announcements ever.  Not a single announcement was too loud or shrill or otherwise annoying and none of them droned on endlessly about avoiding harm via stupidity.  It was heaven for my ears and made it much easier to relax and sleep.  I cannot say with any certainty whether anyone injured themselves by doing something moronic, but if they did at least I didn't have to hear about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users