Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

When it comes to growing Amtrak, what service expansion(s) do you view

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

What would make the most sense is the restoration of service on lines that formerly had passenger service like PHL to CHI Broadway Ltd via the refurbished old PRR Mainline, but more importantly the through lines that ran directly West (from NY-PHL-WAS) to St Louis and Kansas City, saving time and avoiding a CHI connection and layover. The big problem is that additional equipment for route expansion does not exist. The will in Washington for an expanded national passenger rail network is just not there. The numerous small towns and cities along these old routes would probably welcome new service.

Obviously I (and I'm guessing you too dlagrua should since you're from NJ) should be more concerned about eliminating the PGH connection between the CL and Pennsylvanian instead of the CHI connection between the SWC and CL/LSL since the connection(s) in CHI are at pleasant hours and at CUS while the connections in PGH are at lousy hours and at the Pittsburgh Am-Shack. Sure, long term, let's do both! But let's have priorities! Don't forget about the Thruway-TOL connection too. We can get rid of that it would be nice (direct train between Michigan and the East Coast via TOL).

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#22 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

Keelhauled's Law:

"As an AU discussion grows longer, the probability of the Broadway Limited being dragged into it approaches 1."

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Keelhauled's Law:

"As an AU discussion grows longer, the probability of the Broadway Limited being dragged into it approaches 1."

With a side mention of canceling the Cardinal, or at least an oblique snide comment about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#24 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Keelhauled's Law:

With a side mention of canceling the Cardinal, or at least an oblique snide comment about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Gee thanks jjs. you had to remind him?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users