Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

SFW Thruway bus

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Fisherman's Wharf is in North Beach. It's the San Francisco nieghborhood that's bounded by Columbus Ave. on the west, Broadway on the south, and the bay to the north and east. Although we used to separately refer to the area along the waterfront where there was actual shipping as the Embarcadero, and people still do. North Beach is sometimes referred to as Little Italy, but that's just a tourist label these days. The Italians moved to the suburbs. The melding of Chinatown and North Beach is nothing new -- that's been the intrinsic nature of the area for as long as I can remember.

North Beach has meant different things to different people over the years. During the Vietnam War, it meant the strip clubs along Broadway to some. Before that, it meant the coffee and book shops along Grant Ave. to others. Some people identify it as the area around Washington Square -- that was the commercial center when you could conduct business in English or Italian, as you chose. The parish boundaries of St. Peter's and Paul's is another way of looking at it. But it's all North Beach.

And yeah. We used to wonder where the beach was too.  :)

I've steadily over the years seen everything change.  I remember the Embarcadero Freeway and how it was kind of an eyesore even though it made it really easy to get to North Beach and Chinatown.  Just last week I was trying to get on the Bay Bridge and it was ridiculously trying to move at all because of construction at the new Transbay Terminal.  Back then there were still railroad tracks all over San Francisco, even though many had been decommissioned.  Didn't some SP trains stop right in front of the Ferry Building?

I don't know of anyone who thinks of Fisherman's Wharf as being a section of North Beach these days.  And it's basically infill. I know there was some liquefaction in North Beach, but that section of the Marina just turned to goo and those houses sank.  This map shows all the infill, although much of it is interior fill and not previously submerged.

updatedliqumap.jpg

#22 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:06 AM

Just don’t it “Frisco”. It’s “The City” (by the Bay).

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#23 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Unless you're Harry Chapin . . . . Taxi

"It was raining hard in Frisco

I needed one more fare to make my night

A lady up ahead waved to flag me down

She got in at the light.."

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#24 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

Just don’t it “Frisco”. It’s “The City” (by the Bay).

Or "San Fran".  Perhaps avoid "SFO" unless you're talking about the airport.

I've talked to my Chinese friends, and they say the phrase to refer to San Francisco is something like "jio jing san" which literally means "old gold mountain".  Something about coming during the gold rush, even though that's not where the gold was.  The tell me that sometimes they use a more phonetic phrase, which is "san fan siuu".  The last syllable is really hard for me to do justice in the Latin alphabet.  Some syllables have a unique pronunciation that just doesn't work well.  If anything I think it might be closer to if you tried to pronounce "si-uh" quickly as one syllable.

#25 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

San Francisco snobs aren't the only ones who think their City is a cut above the rubes that live in the sticks.

Others that come to mind include, but aren't limited to, New York,Portland,Seattle,Chicago,Denver,Dallas and Austin!😁
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#26 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

I don’t live in The City, but certainly enjoy visiting it a few times each season from my own home 25 miles distant. I especially enjoy viewing the summertime tourists who are wearing shorts and freezing their butts off.

As Mark Twain is purported to have once said: “Coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco.”

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by chakk, 19 November 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#27 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

I dont live in The City, but certainly enjoy visiting it a few times each season from my own home 25 miles distant. I especially enjoy viewing the summertime tourists who are wearing shorts and freezing their butts off.
As Mark Twain is purported to have once said: Coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco.

Of course he never actually said or wrote it. But it sounds like something he might have said. Thats about as legendary as Kurt Vonnegut Jrs alleged wear sunscreen college commencement speech.

Im in a San Francisco today with my kid, and its quite chilly. And Ive seen tank tops, short sleeves, and shorts. Still not quite like the time I was at Haleakala on Maui. It was cold at altitude, but tour buses were letting off people who were dressed like they were going to the beach.

#28 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

The title of the post was "SFW Thuway bus", did KmH get an answer desired?

#29 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

I think so.  The OP seemed to be concerned that the listing of "Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39" might mean that the bus is stopping in two places. But for any modern definition of "Fisherman's Wharf" Pier 39 is in it, and the bus obviously only stops once in the area.

#30 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Yep!

Edited by KmH, 20 November 2017 - 11:30 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#31 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Of course he never actually said or wrote it. But it sounds like something he might have said. Thats about as legendary as Kurt Vonnegut Jrs alleged wear sunscreen college commencement speech.

Except we do know exactly where that "wear sunscreen" speech comes from -- Mary Schmich, a writer for the Chicago Tribune (and it was a column, not a speech).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users