Number 1 Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please allow a brief "fair use" quote from the linked article above:

It's Cary, NC!

The station in downtown Cary was ranked No. 1 in “overall station experience” in Amtrak’s 2017 customer satisfaction rankings, with a score of 97 percent, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation. Customers were asked to judge their station based on several criteria, including cleanliness, safety, clarity of signs, friendliness of station workers and ease in boarding trains.

The town-owned Cary station outscored more than 450 other Amtrak stations across the country. The station in Salisbury ranked fourth, with a score of 94 percent, according to NCDOT.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article183418826.html#storylink=cpy

jb
Now you've done it John Bobinyec! I saw this article a few days ago and decided it wasn't in our interests to post it! Hopefully, Amtrak will not see this article because if they do, you can bet they won't attempt to raise the standards in other stations...they'll just degrade the service here.
default_happy.png

The agents will be replaced by a lackluster, broken website. They will be reassigned to "gate dragon" status and Governor Cuomo will start sending displaced Rochester employees to make sure the signs at your stations point the wrong way.

A station in New York will be number next year! Count on it!!!

The state of North Carolina should be proud. I'm willing to bet they are the ones that insist on standards and are driving the improvements.

Another example of how the states do a better job than the national system. Now if we could just get all the states to work together like this. But then I guess that’s not going to happened so we should be thankful there is an Amtrak with all its problems.

I am surprised that Florida doesn’t do more for passenger rail as they have population density, cities reasonably close together, and traffic problems, especially in tourist areas. Maybe Brightline will take on that opportunity. It is interesting that the Siemens built cars they use will now be built for Midwest and CA services.

The article states "Eight trains a day stop in Cary, including the Piedmont, the Carolinian and the Silver Star." Those 3 daily trains account for 6 stops. What makes the other two?

Please allow a brief "fair use" quote from the linked article above:

It's Cary, NC!

The station in downtown Cary was ranked No. 1 in “overall station experience” in Amtrak’s 2017 customer satisfaction rankings, with a score of 97 percent, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation. Customers were asked to judge their station based on several criteria, including cleanliness, safety, clarity of signs, friendliness of station workers and ease in boarding trains.

The town-owned Cary station outscored more than 450 other Amtrak stations across the country. The station in Salisbury ranked fourth, with a score of 94 percent, according to NCDOT.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article183418826.html#storylink=cpy

jb
Now you've done it John Bobinyec! I saw this article a few days ago and decided it wasn't in our interests to post it! Hopefully, Amtrak will not see this article because if they do, you can bet they won't attempt to raise the standards in other stations...they'll just degrade the service here.
default_happy.png

The agents will be replaced by a lackluster, broken website. They will be reassigned to "gate dragon" status and Governor Cuomo will start sending displaced Rochester employees to make sure the signs at your stations point the wrong way.

A station in New York will be number next year! Count on it!!!
Well, if Cary EVER gets canopies over its platforms instead of the sad bus shelters that we have now, we could hit the top again.

jb

I am surprised that Florida doesn’t do more for passenger rail as they have population density, cities reasonably close together, and traffic problems, especially in tourist areas. Maybe Brightline will take on that opportunity. It is interesting that the Siemens built cars they use will now be built for Midwest and CA services.
If it doesn't involved paving asphalt and laying down ridiculous tolled Express Lanes that don't go any faster than the regular lanes but cost $5, Florida isn't interested.

If it doesn't involved paving asphalt and laying down ridiculous tolled Express Lanes that don't go any faster than the regular lanes but cost $5, Florida isn't interested.
Until the current regime of kleptocracy ends in Florida nothing will change. Too many have their snouts in the trough of the Florida Highway Department which grandly calls itself the FDOT [emoji57] OTOH unfortunately there is no guarantee in Florida that the present one won’t be replaced by another one. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Truer words were never spoken. You can insert Texas into your statement as well.

Well, if Cary EVER gets canopies over its platforms instead of the sad bus shelters that we have now, we could hit the top again.
There are a number of improvement projects in the pipeline for Cary Station.

1. Harrison Avenue Grade Separation. Suggested by a citizen as an alternative to the Walker Street extension project. The original suggestion was just for a simple bridge over the NS tracks for Harrison Avenue, while leaving the CSX tracks as is. This would allow the platform to be lengthened and keep Harrison Avenue from getting blocked whenever a train stops on the NS tracks. However, according to a blog post by the mayor from July, the current thinking would be to realign the CSX tracks to be on the north side of the station next to the NS tracks, and bridge over them as well. This realignment would allow all platforms to be lengthened and probably also open the door for a grade separation on Academy Street as well. Currently planned for construction in 2024.
  2. Downtown Multimodal Facility Feasibility Study. This will likely address both future intercity and commuter operations, as well as bus operations (including BRT) in the vicinity of the station as well as any other facility improvements that will be needed in the future. This study is supposed to happen in 2018. Not sure the timeframe for implementation.

I'm really hoping that Cary doesn't build that bridge. It'll cut right through the middle of town like the Great Wall of China.

jb
If it were on Chatham or something I would say forget it, but Harrison north of Chatham is not really much to get excited about right now. Everything along there (gas station, strip malls, strip *club*, etc) is game for redevelopment IMO and any such redevelopment should be built so the ground floor is at the level of the bridge. Kind of like that building on the north side of Hillsborough Street near downtown Raleigh between Glenwood and the bridge over the RR.

Back