Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Pacific Surfliner ever overcapacity?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_May_*

Guest_May_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

I'm going on a trip to LA (Thursday, Nov 9) on the Pacific Surfliner (SLO to LAX) and going back up with PS (Saturday November 11). I purchased an unreserved coach seat, but I'm wondering whether or not I should upgrade to business class going back (LAX to SLO). I know I am not guaranteed a seat, but has the train ever been overcapacity to the point where I won't be able to get a seat? Do you think I'll be able to get a seat with coach during this holiday weekend?

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,285 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

I’m not really familiar with that section, but I would say no. I’ve gone coach north of LAX, and there were plenty of open seats.

As I understand, times it can be very crowded in coach is during the Del Mar racing season. However that is located south of LAX.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

I’m not really familiar with that section, but I would say no. I’ve gone coach north of LAX, and there were plenty of open seats.

As I understand, times it can be very crowded in coach is during the Del Mar racing season. However that is located south of LAX.

I’m on my way to San Diego now and the train is sold out both in business class with a second added car as well as coach where they added another coach car at LAX. For these two days of the Breeders Cup in DelMar they required coach reservations on all Amtrak trains heading south to help manage the capacity and I believe give all coach passengers a seat. They sometimes do this for the holidays as well from what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Chuck L nailed it, book the Biz Class, it's worth the difference,and the ambience and snacks plus having a reserved seat are the way to roll on the Surfliners.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

Chuck L nailed it, book the Biz Class, it's worth the difference,and the ambience and snacks plus having a reserved seat are the way to roll on the Surfliners.

Attached File  IMG_1455.jpg   1.81MB   20 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1456.jpg   1.55MB   17 downloadsAfternoon “snacks” on the Pacific Surfliner. They included pita chips, hummus, trail mix, chocolate chip cookies and a mint with a choice of beverage which could be wine if you wanted it. This was a nice change from one non-alcoholic beverage and coffee on Michigan Service business class.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users