Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

First train leaves Roanoke (10/31/17)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Everyone here is talking about Bristol as the next step, but it seems to me that the low-hanging fruit here is Blacksburg/Christianburg, tapping into the Virginia Tech student market. The hours would be more reasonable as well - should be at least as good as the existing Thruway bus. (Certainly the late-night arrival shouldn't faze the average college student!)

#42 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

AFAIR, Amtrak’s own proposal regarding the Pennsy - Cap through cars, involved retimimg the Cap a bit. But that detail is actually less important than getting the through cars in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis, 05 November 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#43 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

Everyone here is talking about Bristol as the next step, but it seems to me that the low-hanging fruit here is Blacksburg/Christianburg, tapping into the Virginia Tech student market. The hours would be more reasonable as well - should be at least as good as the existing Thruway bus. (Certainly the late-night arrival shouldn't faze the average college student!)

Yes, of course. Nibbling our way down the tracks: First came the Regional to Lynchburg, now to Roanoke. Next the New River Valley college towns.

Then Bristol, Knoxville, Chattanooga, the World! LOL.

Virginia probably can and will extend the Roanoker to the Valley in due time. Tho meanwhile D.C.-Richmond and Richmond-Petersburg-Raleigh will absorb all the appropriated funds. And I doubt Virginia wants to pay for Bristol, or that Tennessee wants to pay for a Knoxville-Chattanooga extension, without heaps of federal funds.

But if or when passenger trains get another Stimulus-sized windfall of free money, well, let's go!

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 05 November 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#44 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

Similarly, no one has talked seriously about anything beyond Bristol AFAICT.

I believe there is a bit more than just railfan/foamer fantasies going on here, with both Virginia and Tennessee officials at least aware that east Tennessee (Knoxville) makes a more logical and defensible terminus than Bristol.  Even Bristol is in the future still, however, so in fairness it's a bit early for serious discussions.  

#45 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

Back to Roanoke:  I'm still interested to know how many people have been boarding there.  Anyone have an idea?

#46 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:More trains !

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

The fever hits Bristol: http://www.heraldcou...027f5b1e70.html

#47 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Anyone privvy to the load factor leaving Roanoke yesterday?

Back to Roanoke:  I'm still interested to know how many people have been boarding there.  Anyone have an idea?

Medium high to high double digits.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#48 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

Bristol seems a really  far stretch.  Some persons very familiar with Bristol state that the ~151 miles on N&W (NS) took  ~ 4:05 for the Birmingham special.  and took the Bristol - Knoxville 130 miles on SOU  (NS) 3:30.  That was when there were only 2  RT  .   manifest freights on each line with a day time local each way.  Now NS runs as many as 15 freights a day with many fewer sidings available for much longer freights.

Tennessee service would be Bristol - Johnson City - Greenville -  Morristown - Knoxville - 5 stops to  - Chattanooga.

Bristol - Bulls Gap is the actual slow section ( east of Morristown )

It would be hard to find any present Amtrak route service this slow

#49 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:20 AM

Well, if you are going that way...might as well extend on to Narrows, Bluefield, Welch, Williamson, Catlettsburg...    :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#50 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

Does this belong in this thread?  A rally was held in Bedford, Virginia for support of a new stop there: http://www.wdbj7.com...-456397533.html.

#51 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

If it is along the existing route and wouldn't interfere with operations, why not? If funding is found, build the station and make the stop!

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#52 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

If it is along the existing route and wouldn't interfere with operations, why not? If funding is found, build the station and make the stop!

I agree...sometimes the smaller stops produce a lot more traffic proportionately, or otherwise, than the larger ones, due to lack of transportation alternatives....such as local airline or bus service...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#53 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

Another story by WDBJ featuring the new Roanoke service.  This time it's about dome car excursions riding on the end.

Edit: WSLS also covered this story, and they also set up the story by mentioning the new service.

Edited by Agent, 14 November 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#54 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

[Roanoke]-Bristol ~151 miles on N&W (NS) took ~ 4:05 for the Birmingham Special.  and took the Bristol - Knoxville 130 miles on SOU  (NS) 3:30.  That was when there were only 2  RT  .   manifest freights on each line with a day time local each way. 

Now NS runs as many as 15 freights a day with many fewer sidings available for much longer freights.

Tennessee service would be Bristol - Johnson City - Greenville -  Morristown - Knoxville - 5 stops to  - Chattanooga.

Bristol - Bulls Gap is the actual slow section ( east of Morristown )

It would be hard to find any present Amtrak route service this slow

So what?

Roanoke-Bristol-Knoxville would be overnight, just the way the Southern ran it. The train will leave Roanoke well after dark, and arrive Knoxville about 6 a.m., same as it ever was.

If everybody is asleep, who cares how slow it goes? Would it somehow be better to speed up the train and arrive in Knoxville at 4 a.m.? Please don't.

btw Since that is the historic timetable, everyone in Bristol understands that the train will arrive there between midnight and dawn. That's O.K. Better for them a train at 3 a.m. than no train at all.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 14 November 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#55 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

If daily service to Roanoke has begin;  I checked three separate dates originating in PHL in Nov-Dec-Jan and all show that "one part of your trip segment is SOLD OUT".  That's seemed pretty strange

#56 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

What do you mean "if". There are literally three pages of posts about the fact that the service has in fact started.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#57 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

If daily service to Roanoke has begin;  I checked three separate dates originating in PHL in Nov-Dec-Jan and all show that "one part of your trip segment is SOLD OUT".  That's seemed pretty strange

Could you have possibly inserted the Roanoke bus stop rather than train station as your destination?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#58 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

The Roanoke Train station is RNK. Must have dialed in the bus stop as I now see mid January fares PHL-RNK at $70-$178 one way. Business class show only 4 seats available at $116 so the bucket structure effects that fare on a daily count. Trip shows 7hrs 42 minutes.. IMO, the train could use a full dining car for that long of a trip.

#59 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

The Roanoke Train station is RNK. Must have dialed in the bus stop as I now see mid January fares PHL-RNK at $70-$178 one way. Business class show only 4 seats available at $116 so the bucket structure effects that fare on a daily count. Trip shows 7hrs 42 minutes.. IMO, the train could use a full dining car for that long of a trip.

I’m at my office 9 hours. I pack a lunch. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#60 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

One thing that Amtrak should look at is the add on weekend dome car service (RNK-WAS) by the Virginia Museum of Transportation. Too bad that all but one of the old dome cars inherited from the private railroads was scrapped (or sold off)  by Amtrak. The rear observation/lounge cars enjoyed the same fate. The VMT service seems to show that there are rail passengers looking for a higher level of service; perhaps an untapped market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users