Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

First train leaves Roanoke (10/31/17)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 GaSteve

GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:More trains !

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

Channel 10 news report: https://www.wsls.com...oanoke-platform

#2 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

This morning I appear to be on the first 171 Roanoker due to storm cancellation yesterday. Rosey today though.

#3 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

This morning I appear to be on the first 171 Roanoker due to storm cancellation yesterday. Rosey today though.

The storm has no effect on service to Roanoke yesterday, as service didn't start until today. 171 went to Lynchburg yesterday and deadheaded to Roanoke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#4 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

As usual syntax is awry. I was ticketed on yesterday's cancelled 171 and find myself on today's inaugural 171 to Roanoke. Now at Bridgeport.

#5 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

New service is always great news but what is sad is that you have two beautiful little used stations by the tracks in Roanoke and none are Amtrak waiting areas. I believe those tracks at Roanoke extend to TN. Perhaps this presents a future opportunity to get train service back to that state

#6 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

TN has train service, albeit only in the West.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

New service is always great news but what is sad is that you have two beautiful little used stations by the tracks in Roanoke and none are Amtrak waiting areas. I believe those tracks at Roanoke extend to TN. Perhaps this presents a future opportunity to get train service back to that state

Hopefully TN will step uto the plate to fund such, once Virginia is done with extending it to Bristol. ;)

#8 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

What would be the next logical couple of stations in TN, after Bristol?

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

The storm has no effect on service to Roanoke yesterday, as service didn't start until today. 171 went to Lynchburg yesterday and deadheaded to Roanoke.

Wasn't the 171 a shorter run than originally scheduled yesterday using a substitute consist?

#10 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

What would be the next logical couple of stations in TN, after Bristol?

jb

Johnson City, Knoxville, Chattanooga and then on to Georgia, if carrying on on NS?

#11 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Wasn't the 171 a shorter run than originally scheduled yesterday using a substitute consist?
Just looked, and it still had 8 cars, which is what 171 and 176 has been running with all week so far.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Just looked, and it still had 8 cars, which is what 171 and 176 has been running with all week so far.

I did not mean length of the consist. I meant length of the run. My understanding from reading various other rail related groups is that it did not originate from Boston as it is normally supposed to. Did I misinterpret what I read? It is possible.

#13 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

I did not mean length of the consist. I meant length of the run. My understanding from reading various other rail related groups is that it did not originate from Boston as it is normally supposed to. Did I misinterpret what I read? It is possible.
Ah, gotcha. Yesterday it originated in Boston was it should've. Everything real fine yesterday. Monday it originated in NYP.

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Ah OK. Got the day wrong. Sorry about that.

#15 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Someone on Flyertalk posted a trip report https://www.flyertal...roanoke-va.html

#16 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Channel 10 news report: https://www.wsls.com...oanoke-platform

Very positive coverage. Lots of enthusiasm. No reference to Amtrak's lateness or money-losing trains. No blatantly wrong info. A pleasure to see this report, and I'm no fan of local TV news.

#17 Anthony V

Anthony V

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

TN is currently not interested in expanding passenger rail service in the state. However, once service is extended to Bristol, there would literally be passenger rail service on East Tennessee's doorstep (assuming they use the old Bristol train depot as the station). That could change TN's attitude toward passenger rail along the Eastern border of the state, especially if many Johnson City, Knoxville, and Chattanooga residents drive to Bristol to board the train. In the intern, Amtrak could run a Thruway Motorcoach south from Bristol along I-81/I-75/I-59 to Johnson City, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Birmingham, and along I-40 to Nashville. (I chose Birmingham for the Crescent connection because the Atlanta station problems preclude running the Chattanooga Thruway to that city).

#18 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

I know that there is no direct train route between either NFK or NPN and RNK.   However, what I found interesting on the Amtrak site is that I can't theoretically book a round trip from either NFK or NPN to RNK via transfer in WAS.    The only way I could take Amtrak to Roanoke would be to book one way from either NFK or NPN to WAS and then book another segment from WAS to RNK.  Then I would have to do the same for the return trip.   Thus I would have a total of four segments for a round trip.  

So why doesn't the Amtrak site allow for a round trip with transfer in WAS even though the layover there wouldn't be terribly long?

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#19 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

...  once service is extended to Bristol, there would literally be passenger rail service on East Tennessee's doorstep. That could change TN's attitude toward passenger rail along the Eastern border of the state .. In the interim, Amtrak could run a Thruway Motorcoach south from Bristol along I-81/I-75/I-59 to Johnson City, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Birmingham ...

Yes, I agree. States like Tennessee and Iowa that have been hold-outs against passenger rail could begin to feel envy when their neighbors start to enjoy better service.

And yes, Amtrak should test and build the market beyond Roanoke with Thruway service to Bristol and beyond.

Having a train route -Bristol-Knoxville-Chattanooga-Birmingham could solve the low ridership problem of the south end of the Crescent. And if Atlanta hasn't solved its station problem by then, Birmingham will look really good. Then ATL will feel envy. LOL.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 01 November 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#20 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

They can't keep extending trains indefinitely. The only reason VA service works is because they just take trainsets that would be sitting in DC overnight and send them to Richmond or points beyond, but you can only do that for so long. Bringing 171/176 west again runs up against reasonable calling times at the terminus, plus I would think crew rest overnight, and increases the chance of a delayed train by the time it makes DC, which is bad for NEC passengers that I expect make up most of the set's ridership. And the answer can't be to just add another train because of the lack of Long Bridge slots (I think VA has one or two unused, but VRE will surely want more capacity at some point with their plans to increase service on the western line) and to a lesser extent the RF&P. They've done wonderful work with this model, but it doesn't have much further it can be pushed.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users