Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Septa sprinters

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:49 AM

Looks like there is a Charger sitting in the building behind the Sprinter.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

seeing there is no overhead line, I guess they need a charger to charge the sprinter?

• daybeers likes this

#22 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

I had heard that there are bathrooms in the Amtrak AVS-64s, but not the SEPTA ones. Is that true? I was surprised to hear that any locomotives have bathrooms inside.

This is true. Amtrak units have toilets cause most runs that engineers have are over an hour and a half and engineers will use the bathroom during station stops. Septa doesn't believe in bathrooms. That was the worst part of working there. 

It's looking like June 1st is the debut of the Septic Sprinters in Revenue Service. 

That reminds me of some stories I've heard on steam locomotives. There is one man who was a legend Bill Purdie who was the head man over the Southern Railway Steam Program.

He had to go to the bathroom on the steam engine while it was running. So he went to the side and started using it off the side of the train. But forgot he was coming into a town. So while he was going he was waving to people lined up to see the train. He was a hoot.

• cirdan and cpotisch like this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

Septa's first Sprinter went into revenue service yesterday on the daily "Great Valley Flyer" Which is a heavily traveled train. It runs Express from 30th Street to Paoli, and then is local to Thorndale. 

• Seaboard92, daybeers and cpotisch like this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

Septa's first Sprinter went into revenue service yesterday on the daily "Great Valley Flyer" Which is a heavily traveled train. It runs Express from 30th Street to Paoli, and then is local to Thorndale. 

Finally! At last we'll be seeing a genuinely good lucking ACS-64 in service. Here's a video I found taken today of an in-service Sprinter:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#25 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

If I remember when I get around to uploading my photos from the First run to Thorndale I'll post one or two. 

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#26 Fan Railer

Fan Railer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

Shots from yesterday:

• cpotisch likes this

#27 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

They really do look good. The Amtrak ACS-64s have grown on me, but the SEPTA ones knock them out of the park.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#28 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

It looks very nice. Also, it seems to be leading that nice consist you don't see much (not the newest cars, and I don't think the oldest ones?) I rode in one once and it was also very nice--are they bringing them back? Or was this just a coincidence that it was being used with the new Sprinter?

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

It looks very nice. Also, it seems to be leading that nice consist you don't see much (not the newest cars, and I don't think the oldest ones?) I rode in one once and it was also very nice--are they bringing them back? Or was this just a coincidence that it was being used with the new Sprinter?

Those are SEPTA Is. They were built in 1987 and are the second oldest unpowered car type in the SEPTA fleet. 

#30 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the information, cpotisch.

They are also more comfortable than the oldest ones and just plain nice to ride in. I only rode in one once--I ride SEPTA a lot, but never had been in one before til my cousin visited from CT and we went to Philly. Wouldn't you know, the one time she rides SEPTA, we get those lovely coaches, and she's not even a train person and just took it for granted! :P

#31 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

Mystic, the Bombers as they are known as by train crews and rail fans alike, are only run on certain trains during rush hours only. 

#32 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:01 AM

Thanks, Acela150.

So my cousin and I got even luckier than I thought, because we were on the Trenton line, which of course rarely gets the nicest stuff. She just took it for granted, too. I said how lovely it was to be in one of these cars and she said, "Yes, it's fine, Patty" in a sort of "What's the big deal?" tone. :P

#33 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

Thanks, Acela150.

So my cousin and I got even luckier than I thought, because we were on the Trenton line, which of course rarely gets the nicest stuff. She just took it for granted, too. I said how lovely it was to be in one of these cars and she said, "Yes, it's fine, Patty" in a sort of "What's the big deal?" tone. :P

That's always the response I get when I ask a non-railfan what they think of any train.

#34 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

2 Septa sprinters are now in service as of yesterday and 13 are on property. 

I'm having a little issues with uploading photos so when things are easier for me I'll try to upload. 

#35 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

Since I'm having issues uploading the photo directly to AU. Here is the photo on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

• cpotisch likes this

#36 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

Here: :)

Attached File  Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 10.07.45 AM.png   1.42MB   10 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by cpotisch, 03 August 2018 - 09:08 AM.

• Mystic River Dragon likes this

#37 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

Thanks. 

903 will enter service on Monday on Train 9524 which is Local from Malvern to Bryn Mawr and express to the city. 

#38 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

So now that the Sprinters are in service, are the AEM-7s and sole ALP-44 done for?

#39 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:59 AM

So now that the Sprinters are in service, are the AEM-7s and sole ALP-44 done for?

As of today 6 Sprinters are in service and 6 of the 7 AEM-7's and ALP-44 are stored serviceable in case anything arises. I believe that 2302 is a write off as it needs a new air compressor. Which makes zero sense to replace when you have brand new motors coming online. 

#40 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:24 AM

As of today 6 Sprinters are in service and 6 of the 7 AEM-7's and ALP-44 are stored serviceable in case anything arises. I believe that 2302 is a write off as it needs a new air compressor. Which makes zero sense to replace when you have brand new motors coming online. 

Well that's a shame. After Amtrak retired their AEM-7s, I had been hoping I'd be able to see a MARC or SEPTA unit before they were all retired, but I guess not. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users