Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak changed room and car number (EB and CZ)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OldCond

OldCond

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Being with friends. Traveling by train.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

Today I received a call from Amtrak regarding a reservation I made a month ago for a trip three weeks from now on the EB. The message on voice mail said I was being changed from Superliner bedroom to family bedroom and to call if I had any questions. I called back and was told there was a problem with my room and it was being taken out of service and the only room available was the family bedroom.
I didn't think to ask at the time why it wouldn't be repaired within the next three weeks. I'll be traveling by myself so I don't really want that large room with small windows and no plumbing. Oh well. Amazing that they know that three weeks from now that bedroom will still be out of service. Does this happen very often? This past June I was downgraded from bedroom to coach on the LSL but was notified about six hours before boarding. I assume they had just found the problem (no air conditioning) and were contacting those of us that were to be in that car.

#2 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Obviously they have decided to remove a sleeper from the consist.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#3 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

You would think, that within three weeks, the car in question would be changed out or the room repaired. 

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,278 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

I think GML has the right answer - that they are removing a sleeper. Otherwise, I’d understand if it was today’s or tomorrow’s train. They could put on another sleeper from the yard when making up the train. If it was like the PPC, there are no other cars, but a sleeper in 3 weeks, ?????
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

What train and date.  Has your car number been changed?

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

You would think, that within three weeks, the car in question would be changed out or the room repaired.

Not if there isn’t a car to replace it with.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 OldCond

OldCond

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Being with friends. Traveling by train.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

In answer to west point's question, I was to be on Train No. 8, departing SEA on Nov 15, 2017, car 0831, room E. I was reassigned to car 0830, room 015. The point is moot now as I called Amtrak and cancelled my reservation. I'll probably rebook for next March or April. Hopefully they'll have their equipment issues resolved by then and there will be more daylight to enjoy the scenery anyway. Maybe I'll even be able to talk the wife into joining me next time!

Edited by OldCond, 29 October 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#8 manchacrr

manchacrr

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Roller Coasters

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like they are switching to their winter consist. I traveled on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago in January a few years ago and had my room changed as well. I was in a roomette in the 0831 car and was switched to a roomette in the trans-dorm because there was only one regular sleeper on the Seattle section instead of 2. I had booked my ticket about 6 months ahead of time in mid-July and was notified of the room and car number change in late-October.

Routes Traveled:
Amtrak: City of New Orleans, Crescent, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, Gulf Coast Limited (Retired), Cascades, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Adirondack, Vermonter, Acela Express, Downeaster, Cardinal, Maple Leaf, Texas Eagle, Wolverine, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Pennsylvanian, Lake Shore Limited

VIA Rail: Canadian, Ocean, Corridor (Montreal-Toronto)

#9 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

I wonder if it's a case of selling too few rooms to justify staffing the car.

#10 Ind Ben

Ind Ben

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:rail travel & other

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

A few years back we were assigned a roomet on the SL from SAS , when we went to board our name was not on the consist for that car,we had been moved to the transition car wit out any notification.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

#11 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

A few years back we were assigned a roomet on the SL from SAS , when we went to board our name was not on the consist for that car,we had been moved to the transition car wit out any notification.

That may have been a case of a bad ordered sleeper.

#12 Ind Ben

Ind Ben

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:rail travel & other

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Not so,I complained to Amtrak,and was told some one high made the change,and was given a free travel voucher equal to the amount from SAS to NOL.

#13 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

Now that Mica is retired, he and his retinue are traveling a lot more. Amtrak was just showing their appreciation to him for his past support. :giggle:

#14 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Not so,I complained to Amtrak,and was told some one high made the change,and was given a free travel voucher equal to the amount from SAS to NOL.

That doesn’t actually mean that it wasn’t a bad ordered sleeper.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#15 Green Eye

Green Eye

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

That doesn’t actually mean that it wasn’t a bad ordered sleeper.

I am scheduled to take Train 8 (eastbound EB) next week.  I had my bedroom changed to A, my least favorite, in another car, so I called Amtrak.  I was told that the change was made because of a bad ordered car.  Although I was suspicious that they were reducing the consist for the season, it really doesn't matter.  At least I'm still in a bedroom.

#16 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

First time for me, but today Amtrak arbitrarily changed both of mid December trips roomette assignment from roomette 003 Car 532/632 to roomettes 9 car 531 and roomette 10 car 631.  Apparently, they are for the time being eliminating all but one sleeper.  I called AGR and my very helpful  agent did quite a bit of checking since she was also curious what was going on.  Currently for those dates I am traveling no car x32 is available for room assignments.  Only rooms remaining unbooked are in the transition sleeper. I am not happy but decided to stay with the roomettes 9 and 10 since the sleeper seems to still be the last car on the train separated from the transition sleeper by the coach cars and sightseer lounge from the dining car.  Agent did suggest I call back weekly to see in anything opened up other than end of car roomettes 9 and 10.

Anyone else get caught in this arbitrary decision by Amtrak?

MODERATOR NOTE:  This thread was merged with a thread on a similar topic.  Original topic related to Empire Builder and new topic relates to California Zephyr.  The title was edited to reflect both trains.

Edited by pennyk, 12 November 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#17 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

And now to add insult to injury, Amtrak has moved me a second time now to Room 18 in the 640 transition car returning Reno to Chicago in December.  AGR agent when I called suggested I call Customer Relations tomorrow morning and he did put a note on my reservation record to stop changing my roomette assignment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users