Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Photos needed for new RPA (NARP) website

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

I'm helping put together the new Rail Passengers Association (NARP) website, and we need photos! I'm hoping that you can help us out. https://www.narprail...from-the-train/

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

I'm a bit confused.  Ok maybe more than a bit.  But, that isn't about trains!

Are photo submissions to be offered on one's own facebook/twitter, etc feeds or the pages for NARP?

Does the "window" need to be added as a frame for photo submissions?

#3 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Yes, it absolutely is. I wasn't involved in developing the logo, but it's my understanding that it's about the passengers, and what they experience from the train. I know it's heretical to say this in some quarters, but most passengers could care less about what the equipment looks like from the outside--for them, it's about the scenery and the experience.

Are photo submissions to be offered on one's own facebook/twitter, etc feeds or the pages for NARP?

On one's own Facebook or Twitter feeds. Winners will be asked to provide a full-resolution image.

Does the "window" need to be added as a frame for photo submissions?

No. In fact, the website will not use images in the window. Images will be used as backgrounds instead. The window concept will be used for other materials such as print brochures.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, the genesis of the new logo was presented several times and discussed at length at the Council meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#5 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

The genesis of this logo is a prime example of echo chamber idiocy. The 1990 logo makes it eminently clear the nature of your business with no extra text. The 2011 logo gives a vague idea. The new one does nothing of the sort.

I thought somewhere on NARP there might be someone with a vague marketing background. I was apparently mistaken.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Post modern logos seem to either approximate an oblong or a spheroid and their projections. That seems to be the in thing with logos. So GML it is time for you to get with the program ROTFL!

#7 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

The in thing and a logo that actually does its job are not always the same thing. One shouldnt do in when in doesnt work.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#8 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Yes, it absolutely is. I wasn't involved in developing the logo, but it's my understanding that it's about the passengers, and what they experience from the train. I know it's heretical to say this in some quarters, but most passengers could care less about what the equipment looks like from the outside--for them, it's about the scenery and the experience!

Oh, the contest is certainly about trains.  But, my heavy confusion isn't.  Do you have the name of a good psychiatrist, per chance?   (That might make a mighty good prize, actually!)

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

For most passenger associations just a stylized initials seems to serve fine as a logo. The window theme is a bit off the beaten path admittedly. But IMHO it is neither horribly better or worse than a stylized artwork of the nose of a train or some such.

#10 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

For most passenger associations just a stylized initials seems to serve fine as a logo. The window theme is a bit off the beaten path admittedly. But IMHO it is neither horribly better or worse than a stylized artwork of the nose of a train or some such.

Not an expert (by a long shot), but the "window" theme does not say "train" to me. It could be a bus. It could be an RV. It could be anything rectangular.  The old logo said train, and it's futuristic design implied modern relevance.

NARP has put forth a lot of effort to have passenger rail looked at as a mainstream transportation asset, not just a land cruise for vacationers.  It seems to me that a logo that seems to imply that a major advantage of train travel is the view out the window works against that effort. That assumes, of course, that the general public would look at a rounded-corner rectangle and have the slightest clue what it represents.

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

I personally don't believe the logo matters as much as people seem to think it does. I doubt that it by itself either enhances or detracts from membership. It is a symbol to which the actual actions and missions of the organization is associated and becomes a symbol for such. It could as well just be the three letters RPA in some stylized form. What matters is what actual action or reputation is associated with it. The fact that IBM's logo did not have a Hollerith Card associated with it did not seem to detract from it being highly recognizable and associated with Computers and IT.

The real issue is getting actual discernible actions firmly associated with whatever is the logo. If we fail in doing so, it does not matter whether it looks like a few letters, a window or a Muscovy Duck.

#12 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

I'm confused, too. The only photo I see is a rectangular window with "Columbia River Basin" at the bottom--is that just an example of the format, and you are to do your own picture?

The photo shown actually looks like the alien blob in a Star Trek Next Generation episode, where the blob had captured Diana and kept sliding back and forth so she couldn't get back to her friends. So, as is, it would have more to do with star ships than with trains :P.)

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

I'm confused, too. The only photo I see is a rectangular window with "Columbia River Basin" at the bottom--is that just an example of the format, and you are to do your own picture?

The photo shown actually looks like the alien blob in a Star Trek Next Generation episode, where the blob had captured Diana and kept sliding back and forth so she couldn't get back to her friends. So, as is, it would have more to do with star ships than with trains :P.)

The logo is the window frame. You cannot have a registered logo with an arbitrary random picture according to anyone's whim of the moment associated with it. I will let Charlie go into that and the discussion that ensued at the Council meeting on that matter, instead of discussing more important issues, if Charlie cares to, that is.

Frankly, I don't care much for it myself, but as I explained, at the end of the day, I don;t think it matters much either. However, a lot of people do like to assert that it does, because their very livelihood depends on it. ;)

#14 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

I think the main function of a logo is to be recognizable and uncontroversial.  This latest version seems to fail at both goals.  I'm sorry, but what was wrong with the last logo?  To me it looked like an artsy rendition of a high speed train zooming past the viewer.  Seemed fine for a passenger rail advocacy group.  I'm not sure what this new version does better than the last or why any change was needed at this point.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#15 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

So I have this dog and fire hydrant, or cat and head butting theory of logos among other things. I have noticed that a change in logo usually follow a change in regime where the new regime wants to, for whatever reason, distance itself from the previous regime. I don’t know for sure who exactly initiated this round, but it does appear to have a remarkable coincidence with a significant regime change. New regimes want to leave their own mark on the fire hydrants or everything in sight. It is about marking distinct territory.

#16 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

What bugs me about it is that is inferior to either previous logo for every intent and purpose, and yet this is what NARP is spending their time on, as opposed to more useful things. Like pressuring NJTransit to stop ruining a painstakingly arranged system of misconnections.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users