Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

747 in Austin

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

It is quite unusual to replace a 747 by a 787 unless one is seriously downsizing the route. A 777-300ER is a more equivalent in capacity substitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

BA replacing the 787 on their flight with a 747?:huh:

That is very unusual. Many other airlines are retiring their 747s for newer aircraft - like the 787!

A surprise to me too. Aren't 747s,even the newer versions, Fuel Hogs like all 4 engine jets?

I may just have to take a day trip to London just to ride on a 747 again!😁
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

On your way to the airport, can you tell me what time this plane left?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#24 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

It was around Noon on Tuesday(10/24) Ryan.
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

BA replacing the 787 on their flight with a 747? :huh:

That is very unusual. Many other airlines are retiring their 747s for newer aircraft - like the 787!

A surprise to me too. Aren't 747s,even the newer versions, Fuel Hogs like all 4 engine jets?

I may just have to take a day trip to London just to ride on a 747 again!

BA's newest 747s have a good 5 to10 years of life in them before they come up for major overhaul. So they will be around for a while I think. No one has really just recycled 747s out before they came up for major overhauls, except for a few exceptions like Singapore.

#26 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

Atlas going to MEX. Nothing spooky going on, they fly through AUS all the time. And yes they have proper registration.

In my experience Atlas Air normally looks like this

Atlas_Air_B742_N517MC.jpg

But a quick check of the web indicates that they now have at least a few aircraft that appear to be in some sort of witness protection (or wet lease) program.

839429.jpg

BA replacing the 787 on their flight with a 747? That is very unusual. Many other airlines are retiring their 747s for newer aircraft - like the 787!

A surprise to me too. Aren't 747s,even the newer versions, Fuel Hogs like all 4 engine jets? I may just have to take a day trip to London just to ride on a 747 again!

Depends on what sort of fleet you're operating and which aircraft are available within that fleet. Right now 744's are paid off and fossil fuel is cheap. Thus you have a 747 replacing a 787 from Austin to London.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#27 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

It was around Noon on Tuesday(10/24) Ryan.

Dude, you had us all looking at the wrong day!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I give you GTI 8890...
https://flightaware....1719Z/KAUS/MMMX

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 12.30.06 PM.png   945.76KB   16 downloads
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#28 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Looks like N407KZ and N859GT are the only two in the all white, but both of their whereabouts are accounted for...

I found a picture of N850GT in all white from Jan of 2016, but she's wearing a Panalpina livery in picture before and after that.

Definitely curious!
Posted Image

#29 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Ryan and Chris!! 😎

That all White one looks like what I saw.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 27 October 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#30 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

With the carrier and flight number now known, Flightradar24 is your friend.

Atlas Air 8890 operated with N445MC.  

N445MC is a B747-400F and was originally operated by Korean Air Lines in cargo service. Atlas Air acquired it in September, thus perhaps the all white paint job.

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Bill, the internet can do amazing things!😎

#32 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

I didn’t realize that FR24 will give you tail numbers. That will come in handy.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users