Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

747 in Austin

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

Watched a totally White/No Markings 747 Take off out of Austin Bergstrom today heading SW.

First one I've seen in a long time here, wondering if anyone has any info as to what it might be???
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#2 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

When you say no markings do you mean no registration either?  We receive 747's (and lots of other widebodies) for heavy maintenance here at SAT.  Not saying that's the case here but without a registration it's hard saying not knowing.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

When you say no markings do you mean no registration either?  We receive 747's (and lots of other widebodies) for heavy maintenance here at SAT.  Not saying that's the case here but without a registration it's hard saying not knowing.

Right, I didn't even see an N # on the tail, it was totally White, but definitely a 747!!

And I know SA receives lots of Jets for work @ SAT and the old Kelly AFB, now a Joint Base. ( the Central American-Contra flights were operated out of there!)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 25 October 2017 - 02:43 PM.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Probably for a D-Check perhaps. Wonder if it is heading to the jet graveyard in Mojave Desert. What varient of 747 is it?

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#5 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Wonder if it is heading to the jet graveyard in Mojave Desert.

Jet graveyard?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 22 (FTW, CHI)

S Shore Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | Greyhound Lines | Jefferson Lines

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

What time today?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

Wonder if it is heading to the jet graveyard in Mojave Desert.

Jet graveyard?

That's what I call it. Lot of retired jets out in the desert.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#8 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

Flying in US airspace without visible registration is supposed to be illegal. Even graveyard ferry flights would normally use dark tape to form a temporary registration on a white fuselage. Some secretive government flights have apparently used light grey characters on a white background so maybe thats what you saw?

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#9 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

Off topic:  British Airways is planning to replace their current B787 service between LHR and AUS with 747s in the spring, I believe.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

Off topic:  British Airways is planning to replace their current B787 service between LHR and AUS with 747s in the spring, I believe.

This possibly could be the answer, perhaps 747s will be made ready for this service in San Amtonio since so there is so much work done on Jets there?

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:57 PM

BA services its 747s in their Hatton Cross maintenance facility.

Edited by jis, 25 October 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#12 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

This possibly could be the answer, perhaps 747s will be made ready for this service in San Amtonio since so there is so much work done on Jets there?

BA wouldn't send a 747 here unless it was being sold to (and reconditioned for) another carrier.

#13 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

I searched the FlightAware departure log for yesterday (10/25) at AUS, and there were no 747's listed. Sounds like some sort of stealth move being kept out of the public database.  If someone wanted to kill some time, they could listen to the LiveATC recording for KAUS for the time frame to see if there is some oddball departure.

#14 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

There were a bunch of tail numbers without types listed (I looked too), which is why I was trying to nail down the time.

If Jim gives me a time, I’m likely to go trolling through the audio. :)
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#15 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

On my commute I did notice an all-white aircraft outside one of the maintenance hangers here, but it was not a 747.  :mellow:

#16 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

Down here, we get a lot of flights that meet two or three buses at BRO.  They are coming from / going to Central America usually.  Old clunkers like DC-9s.  FlightAware does tell us who owns these planes.  

#17 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

I found it:

British Airways in recent schedule update filed additional changes for its planned long-haul operation from London Heathrow , for summer 2018 season. Latest update, previously not covered , as follow. London Heathrow – Austin eff 08APR18 747-400 replaces 787-9, 1 daily London...

#18 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Atlas going to MEX.

Nothing spooky going on, they fly through AUS all the time.  And yes they have proper registration.

#19 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like XHRTSP has it.

It was pretty far away and I couldn't see any registration or markings, but the old eyes aren't what they used to be when I flew the Friendly Skies of Cessna!😁😊

#20 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,267 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

BA replacing the 787 on their flight with a 747?:huh:

That is very unusual. Many other airlines are retiring their 747s for newer aircraft - like the 787!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users