Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

2018 Downeaster train connection to Rockland

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

Hi,the NNEPRA announced at its annual meeting that there will be a new seasonal Downeaster Coastal Connection train from Brunswick to/from Rockland. Here's a link to the initial information.

https://m.facebook.c...912869372062934movie

#2 HP_Lovecraft

HP_Lovecraft

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

It think this is great.  Up until last year, we would take the Eastern Rail to Rockland for a very scenic ride.

The state owns the right of way, and when the contract went up for bid, the winner did not want to offer passenger service, only freight.

It was rather annoying since Amtrak only recently started going up to Brunswick a few years ago, making the connection possible. 

Fortunately, we already have stations, and the rails are all setup for passenger use.  In fact, I can see all those proposed stops are already listed on the Amtrak's listing of stations.

#3 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

Interesting. This would be unique in the Amtrak system, IINM. Amtrak serves some *stations* seasonally but those are stations along routes where the train passes through year-round. This would be the only case where Amtrak runs trains along a certain route for only part of the year, if I'm understanding the service model correctly.

#4 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Trains, Ships, Wildlife, Gardening

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

Progress in Maine.

Train Trips: Acela Express, California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (2x), Coast Starlight (4x), Desert Wind, Lake Shore Limited (6x), Northeast Regional (many times), Pacific Surfliner (2x), Silver Meteor (7x), Southwest Chief (4x), Cardinal.

#5 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Interesting. This would be unique in the Amtrak system, IINM. Amtrak serves some *stations* seasonally but those are stations along routes where the train passes through year-round. This would be the only case where Amtrak runs trains along a certain route for only part of the year, if I'm understanding the service model correctly.

Amtrak used to do this with its seasonal service to Cape Cod, and it's currently being done with the Winter Park Express (though that's admittedly part of the CZ route). I hope the freight operator doesn't try to throw a wrench into the works!

#6 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

I didnt see where it says the connection will be a train. Could this be just through ticketing to a connecting bus?

#7 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

No, this is a train.

NNEPRA announced the Downeaster Coastal Connection with proposed seasonal service to Bath, Wiscasset, Newcastle/Damariscotta and Rockland! As early as next summer, a rider can get on the Downeaster in Boston, or any station in between, and travel all the way to Rockland on the weekend. This came as a pleasant surprise to those attending the rail authority's Annual Meeting. We talked with NNEPRA Board Chairman John Melrose and TrainRiders/NE Chairman Wayne Davis about the announcement. Check out the video:

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#8 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Technically, this is not an Amtrak train.  It's sponsored by NNEPRA and contracts with Amtrak for the use of its equipment and crews.

I could be wrong but I think the Winter Park Express is in the same vein.

#9 HP_Lovecraft

HP_Lovecraft

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Technically, this is not an Amtrak train.  It's sponsored by NNEPRA and contracts with Amtrak for the use of its equipment and crews.

I could be wrong but I think the Winter Park Express is in the same vein.

The Downeaster is  probably the same as many of the small state-funded routes.

But since you can book it on amtrak.com, with guaranteed connections, does it matter?

That said, the Downeaster was supposed to start using the Kennebunk's 150 year old station back in 2014.  But it keeps getting delayed, over and over.  For the typical reasons- politics and money.  I hope this new Rockland extension doesnt end up the same way.

#10 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hi,
Someone posted a link ob railroad.net to a newspaper article with more information. It would initially be a weekend round-trip service from Boston with existing train equipment.

https://bangordailyn...by-summer-2018/

#11 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

https://www.usnews.c...ter-to-rockland

The operator of Amtrak's Downeaster is planning a pilot run from Brusnwick to Rockland as soon as this month to test the viability of the program.

The good news continues!  If DSS&A is correct that they will use existing equipment, I imagine this will start like service to Brunswick did, maybe a morning round trip and an afternoon/evening round trip, then if it proves very successful, expand it to more trips.

#12 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

No, it's weekend service in the summer only--at least this year.

#13 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Yes thats what I meant - two round trips on Saturday, two on Sunday in the summer, then expand either days or number of trips if it works to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users