Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak App Update (October 24, 2017)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

I'm well aware of that. That does NOT explain why the app refuses to sell the ticket. The old app worked just fine.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

The new app will not make any reservation that requires a paper ticket. This is by design and not surprising given how few paper value ticket routes are left.
It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station. Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Proper user interface is SO EASY.
Using mobile devices and a home/work printer to reserve a connecting seat on your schedule is the old way of doing things.  Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way. 
Imagine if you LIVE in Atlantic City. And get that popup. How the heck do you buy your Amtrak tickets in person???

At the quick track at ACY. Their's 2 of them there. Or at least their were. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#22 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

I'm well aware of that. That does NOT explain why the app refuses to sell the ticket. The old app worked just fine.

The new app will not make any reservation that requires a paper ticket. This is by design and not surprising given how few paper value ticket routes are left.
It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station. Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Proper user interface is SO EASY.
Using mobile devices and a home/work printer to reserve a connecting seat on your schedule is the old way of doing things.  Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way. 
Imagine if you LIVE in Atlantic City. And get that popup. How the heck do you buy your Amtrak tickets in person???

At the quick track at ACY. Their's 2 of them there. Or at least their were. 
Nope.

https://www.amtrak.c...ations/acy.html

#23 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

The new app does not allow using points to book a coach or business class reservation. So the only “improvement” I’ve seen in this thread is that someone’s ticket that was booked on the computer showed up in the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#24 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

In my case, reservations that were visible in the previous version of the App have all disappeared from this one. So I can't see any improvement at all. I am glad none of the airlines that I use put me through this sort of ridiculous exercise of deploying seemingly untested, or at least extremely inadequately tested stuff and making them available to the public.

#25 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, say what you will about the on board experience of US airlines but they've honestly done a commendable job with putting as much of their business online as possible.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#26 penguinflies

penguinflies

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

an odd item:

multi-ride tickets after the update are not on amtrak.com (it was purchased using the website). I show zero reservations though I am currently midway through a 10 ride ticket.

**i figured it out, that amtrak hides the reservations, one must click the 'show' button on the right side.**  It's there once i figured out they were hiding my trips.

So I go on my app and it's there, states "Ten Ride Ticket" and some general details (stations, dates, QR code). Going into inital detail page does not yield one the reservation number.  One must be aware you have to swipe right to get that information.  It took some fumbling by me and the amtrak agent on the phone who requires that information when doing an upgrade.

Edited by penguinflies, 26 October 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#27 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

Yeah, say what you will about the on board experience of US airlines but they've honestly done a commendable job with putting as much of their business online as possible.

This is a remarkable process to get tickets mailed. It took six days to fill out this form and drop them in the mail!

Attached File  amtrak.jpg   66.77KB   21 downloads

#28 nti1094

nti1094

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

Is it just me or has the latest "redesigned" iOS app totally ruined the usability of it? It renders screens incorrectly in ways that will not show or allow me to select upgrades like roomettes or bedrooms when trying to book long distance trains. That makes it impossible for me to use it to easily book my trips.

In addition the rest of the new updated layout seems to be just awful and clunky and slow and designed more than ever to not give useful data but make things flashy and rich in useless graphics.

I cannot believe that they would totally redesign a useful, if not somewhat limited app like that into such a piece of crap. Am I the only one who has a broken experience here? I am using an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 9.2.

#29 nti1094

nti1094

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:11 AM

Is it just me or has the latest "redesigned" iOS app totally ruined the usability of it? It renders screens incorrectly in ways that will not show or allow me to select upgrades like roomettes or bedrooms when trying to book long distance trains. That makes it impossible for me to use it to easily book my trips.

In addition the rest of the new updated layout seems to be just awful and clunky and slow and designed more than ever to not give useful data but make things flashy and rich in useless graphics.

I cannot believe that they would totally redesign a useful, if not somewhat limited app like that into such a piece of crap. Am I the only one who has a broken experience here? I am using an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 9.2.

Attached File  IMG_2154.jpg   596.58KB   21 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2153.jpg   709.52KB   21 downloads

#30 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:52 AM

Topic well under discussion. 

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#31 wdscott

wdscott

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Upgrade your OS. I’m current on 11.0.3. I suspect the app wasn’t tested against 9.x.x.

—Bill

#32 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yeah. I don’t see those issues on iOS 11.0.3. There are of course several other issues ...

#33 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

There is no reason to be running 2 year old software on that device. Upgrade and your problems will be solved.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#34 nti1094

nti1094

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Upgrade your OS. I’m current on 11.0.3. I suspect the app wasn’t tested against 9.x.x.

—Bill

I don't need or want any new fearures... not to mention I have a perfectly good jail broken device. Since 10% of the install base is still active with my version or earlier of iOS, they were incredibly sloppy not testing against it. Very unprofessional.

#35 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

I have a perfectly good jail broken device.

I'm no IT expert, but I suspect that's the problem here. I'm using an iPhone 6 with iOS 10.3.3 and having no issues.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 22 (FTW, CHI)

S Shore Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | Greyhound Lines | Jefferson Lines

#36 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:41 PM

—Bill

I don't need or want any new fearures... not to mention I have a perfectly good jail broken device. Since 10% of the install base is still active with my version or earlier of iOS, they were incredibly sloppy not testing against it. Very unprofessional.

Frankly, I would not bother testing against an OS version that has only 10% and rapidly decreasing proportion of one of three OS platforms that I have to support either. But as Bob says YMMV.

Meanwhile you can just use the amtrak.com in Safari. It works fine.

#37 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

not to mention I have a perfectly good jail broken device.

It's not "perfectly good" if it can't run apps using modern frameworks.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#38 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Not to mention that new updates generally also patch security vulnerabilities. I'm not familiar with what changes when a device is jailbroken, but on the Android side there's no additional security updates available when you root a device. I'm assuming it's the same with a jailbroken device. To me, the security updates are much more important than the "new and improved" features.

#39 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

An update was released today to the new version.

#40 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

This is a remarkable process to get tickets mailed. It took six days to fill out this form and drop them in the mail!

attachicon.gifamtrak.jpg

attachicon.gifamtrak.jpg

Since you live in AC I honestly don't understand why you don't just make a trip to 30th Street on NJT. And again I don't see why you don't just pay for a transit ticket and then pick up eTickets at PHL. Even if you want a "guaranteed connection" all you have to do is make sure you're on a train that gets there 60-90 minutes before your Amtrak train. You're going through a ton of unnecessary hoops. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users