Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak App Update (October 24, 2017)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 districtRich

districtRich

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

I received an update to the Amtrak app on my Android phone today.  It is definitely an overhaul and looks much different compared to the old app.  It has a much more modern look than the old app.  I didn't make any new bookings, but the interface to do it seems much better than the old way all the way through the payment page.

Acela (8)  California Zephyr (1)  Capitol Limited (7)  Cardinal (1)  Coast Starlight (1)  Crescent (1) • Empire Builder (1) • Northeast Regional (tons)  Pacific Surfliner (2) • Silver Meteor (2) Sunset Limited (1) Texas Eagle (2)  Wolverine (2)

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,111 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

I received an update to the app on my iPhone today.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

I received an update to the app on my iPhone today.

I had high hopes that it would now be able to pull up a reservation that wasn’t made by the app, but alas, the Amtrak systems that would allow this still do not have an interface between them. Not sure if the same holds true for reservations made on amtrak.com as it also didn’t work previously

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by ChuckL, 24 October 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

No update here yet. I am on iOS 11.0.3.

#5 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

No update here yet. I am on iOS 11.0.3.

I had to look for the pending update in the App Store and then select it as it hadn’t downloaded on its own yet. I’m also on iOS 11.0.3

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Oh OK. I had to pull the update.So

So the very first thing it did is lost all my reservations. Oh well. At least they are all still there on the main web site, and I had also created e-Tickets for them in Apple Wallet. :)

Also the Progress towards Tier Status has a bit of catching up to do with reality, as it looks like it is about 500 points behind amtrakguestrewards.com. Oddly, I can;t think of anything that I did that is worth 500-ish points, to account for the difference. So maybe they threw a dart and displayed the number that it hit. :)

This should be fun....

Edited by jis, 24 October 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#7 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Just updated...mixed opinion but, like any software "update"...gotta give time to get used to the new version.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#8 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

I am having trouble with looking up train status. EDIT: I figured it out, n/m.

Edited by tim49424, 24 October 2017 - 02:52 PM.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#9 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

I tried to book ACY->ALX and the app absolutely refused.
Attached File  Capture+_2017-10-24-19-03-24.png   47.46KB   34 downloads

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

#10 NYP

NYP

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

NJ Transit still requires a paper ticket (not an eTicket). Paper tickets are pretty rare now, and must be mailed or printed at an Amtrak station.

Capture+_2017-10-24-19-03-24.png

#11 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

NJ Transit still requires a paper ticket (not an eTicket). Paper tickets are pretty rare now, and must be mailed or printed at an Amtrak station.

Capture+_2017-10-24-19-03-24.png

I'm well aware of that. That does NOT explain why the app refuses to sell the ticket. The old app worked just fine.

#12 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:00 AM

Just book the ticket from PHL. You can buy the Transit ticket at the terminal in AC.

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#13 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

Just book the ticket from PHL. You can buy the Transit ticket at the terminal in AC.

And take on the full risk of a missed connection if NJTransit had an issue? No thanks.

Repeat: the old app handled mailed tickets just fine. I used the website to order my tickets and they'll be mailed. I just find it odd that the app displays the choices just fine, then decides it won't sell you the ticket, and then gives *really* stupid advice to go to a station when a phone call or a website visit would work just fine. Very poor design.

#14 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

I'm well aware of that. That does NOT explain why the app refuses to sell the ticket. The old app worked just fine.

The new app will not make any reservation that requires a paper ticket. This is by design and not surprising given how few paper value ticket routes are left.

#15 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

I was so used to the old app Seemed to work fine. Any reason for the update?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#16 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

The new app will not make any reservation that requires a paper ticket. This is by design and not surprising given how few paper value ticket routes are left.
I was wondering if that was the reason.

#17 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station.

Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Proper user interface is SO EASY.

#18 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

I didn't update till today but as soon as I logged in, my eticket popped up, and I made that reservation over the phone... the one thing I don't like is I can't find the car or room number on it.

#19 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station. Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Proper user interface is SO EASY.

Using mobile devices and personal printers is the old way of doing things.  Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way.  :lol:

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 25 October 2017 - 05:00 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#20 vinniemac

vinniemac

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

It that is intentional (literally no reason to do that since the website handles it just fine) then the alert should happen when you choose ACY as a station. Furthermore, you should be directed to Amtrak.com or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Proper user interface is SO EASY.
Using mobile devices and a home/work printer to reserve a connecting seat on your schedule is the old way of doing things.  Physically traveling to a station and buying your tickets in person during business hours is the newer and easier way. 
Imagine if you LIVE in Atlantic City. And get that popup. How the heck do you buy your Amtrak tickets in person???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users