Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Looks like a change in boarding procedures at major stations-info from

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

The title of the thread "Are Gate dragons history?

https://www.trainord...d.php?4,4401184

#2 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Because of the way the gate to platform setup is at some stations, it will still be necessary to have personnel stationed to have some order. I can't imagine NYP narrow escalators and platforms  if it was a free for all, or Chicago or Washington with no one at the door keeping people from rushing the  platforms.  Eliminating the extra document check lessens their interaction with the passengers, and may make it more pleasant.

#3 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

IMHO, this seems to be a change that is in the complete opposite direction that DHS and TSA is going, elsewhere.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Elsewhere? Airports are fundamentally different from any ground transport station. This is just recognition of the fact that there is no point in securing the front door while the barn door in the back is open. Sanity at last.

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

Elsewhere? Airports are fundamentally different from any ground transport station. This is just recognition of the fact that there is no point in securing the front door while the barn door in the back is open. Sanity at last.

;)  :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

I haven't seen too many scheduled airlines leaving LaGuardia and making stops at unstaffed airports or Flag airports on the way to LA. Planes and trains are not operated the same way.

#7 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

Hey, having a country-hopper flight would be pretty cool. Like stopping at NYC, Scranton, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Toledo, on the way to Chicago.

Edited by maxbuskirk, 21 October 2017 - 08:27 PM.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#8 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

That would be hilariously uneconomical.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#9 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

I flew a Southwest airlines flight years ago that flew lax-phx-omh-mdw. I now pay more to fly non stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hey, having a country-hopper flight would be pretty cool. Like stopping at NYC, Scranton, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Toledo, on the way to Chicago.

You were born too late....that's the way they operated in the 1920's and '30's.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

Although I wasn't around in the 20s and 30s the Regional Airlines up until the 60s ( Ozark,Braniff,Allengeney,Piedmont,TTA etc) used to have flights like this.

I once flew on a TTA DC-3 from Colorado Springs to Albuqurque,Amarillo,Ft Worth,Dallas and Austin.

A Southwest Vegas Flight I once took went Austin,San Antonio,El Paso,Phoenix and Vegas.

Internationally I once flew on a Mexicana Flight (Jet)from San Antonio to Monterrey,San Luis Potosi,Mexico City,Acapulco,Guadalajara,Puerto Vallarta!( that was when the Beer and Tapas were still Free!😄)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 22 October 2017 - 07:56 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#12 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Plenty of service to smaller cities, but the passengers and airlines were not alone. They were generally staffed, even if sparsely.

#13 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

History has some real puddle jumpers.  Both National and Eastern air lines had trips that went MIA - Fll - Ft Pierce - Vero - St. Augustine - Jacksonville - Savannah - Charleston - Wilmington NC - Richmond - Washington - Baltimore - Wilmington, De - Trenton - Newark.  Now not all flights served all those cities but would skip some but still a 9 airport stop shows on early schedules.

#14 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

The thing is, there is still service to many of these airports, but now you have to use the "hub and spoke" model to make the connection, that at one time you could do via a multi-stop 'local'...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#15 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Of relevance to this thread, as opposed to nostalgia about the good old days - ;) - All of the small airports are staffed and have TSA barriers, and there are no "flag stops" for planes.

trains do not operate that way. They operate through unstaffed stations and in principle it is quite impossible to prevent someone putting something on or under the train anywhere on its route, unlike in planes, where once it is up in the air the only way to interfere, unless something was put on board at the airport, is to fire a missile at it.

#16 JRR

JRR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

In the old Piedmont days, you lined up on the tarmac, the plane came in, shut down the port engine, passengers disembarked, you loaded and were on your way. Many stops along the way!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Edited by JRR, 22 October 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#17 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

I haven't seen too many scheduled airlines leaving LaGuardia and making stops at unstaffed airports or Flag airports on the way to LA. Planes and trains are not operated the same way.

Never rode on the old local airplane from Philly to Ithaca and Elmira, where Elmira was a flagstop, skipped if nobody was going there?  (The "old Piedmont days" happened in upstate NY too... as late as the 1990s!)

Incidentally, it's actually the disappearance of this sort of flight which is making rail service to places like Ithaca and Elmira more commercially viable.  The puddlejumpers were serious competition; the hub-and-spoke routes are wildly inefficient for the passengers and mean that going on the ground is likely to be just as fast.

Edited by neroden, 23 October 2017 - 03:34 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#18 Ind Ben

Ind Ben

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:rail travel & other

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

In the old Piedmont days, you lined up on the tarmac, the plane came in, shut down the port engine, passengers disembarked, you loaded and were on your way. Many stops along the way!

Flew from chi to Asheville,nc in 67 was like riding a roller coaster.

#19 Alexandria Nick

Alexandria Nick

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

That would be hilariously uneconomical.

Not really.  The actual aircraft are still running routes like that, they just make everyone get off nowadays.  If you go look at the flight history of a random Dash 8 turboprop, they're living out their days waking up in, say, Jacksonville to run Jax, Hilton Head, Atlanta, Tri-Cities, Charlotte, Asheville, Dulles, and work their way back to Jacksonville the next day.

#20 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Back in the 70's, I once did a Delta ORD-DTW-CLE-BTV-MHT itinerary.  It was a dinner flight, and the meal was served between Cleveland and Burlington, VT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users