Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Store in Chicago Closed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

The direction of the store isn't necessarily a result of cutbacks. There is another reorg occurring and since this is in play, the store isn't really a priority right now :ph34r: .  It may or may not come back.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 20 October 2017 - 08:21 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#22 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

The direction of the store isn't necessarily a result of cutbacks. There is another reorg occurring and since this is in play, the store isn't really a priority right now :ph34r: .  It may or may not come back.

Are you suggesting the store lost money? And that the loss had nothing to do with costs and income?

#23 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Ok folks. I received a message from Amtrak Matt this morning and he states that Amtrak Chicago is under going changes which we are all aware of as far as leadership. And they are focused on the more critical things currently. And he also addressed the online store. Saying that they reduce prices on the online store to move sitting merchandise quickly that is “just sitting there”. With no plans to eliminate the online store.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

The store isn't really a priority right now.

&

They are focused on the more critical things currently.

Thanks to both of you for putting this into perspective. I'd imagine most members here would prefer that Amtrak had a vibrant and thriving souvenir business, including yours truly, but their core business and future viability will not be made or broken by how many mementos they stock or where they sell them. Better to get the rest of the business running smoothly and worry about the train related trinkets later.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#25 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:56 PM

I am not clear on the Amtrak Store....does Amtrak actually operate it themself, or is it run by Staples Promotional Products, apparently the current vendor that supplies the products?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#26 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

I am not clear on the Amtrak Store....does Amtrak actually operate it themself, or is it run by Staples Promotional Products, apparently the current vendor that supplies the products?

The store at CUS was operated by Amtrak staff.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#27 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

I have been to a couple of VIA Rail station's, (Quebec and Halifax), that had a display window of VIA Rail souvenir's that could be purchased at the regular ticket windows....perhaps Amtrak could follow that practice, in select location's where it would not greatly have an adverse affect on ticketing?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#28 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

The only two places I know of currently that sell Amtrak souvenirs are Portland Oregon at the newsstand and Dave’s Depot in Grand Junction, CO. I’ve bought t-shirts at both locations.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#29 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

The only two places I know of currently that sell Amtrak souvenirs are Portland Oregon at the newsstand and Dave’s Depot in Grand Junction, CO. I’ve bought t-shirts at both locations.

But are those items sold the exact same merchandise that Amtrak sells in its store and online, or are they a different line of (licensed) logo merchandise?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#30 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

But are those items sold the exact same merchandise that Amtrak sells in its store and online, or are they a different line of (licensed) logo merchandise?

Very different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users