Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Store in Chicago Closed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

Some sad news that the Amtrak Store in CUS has closed. I bought some nice pins and T-shirts on our trip in June but this trip I found the gates down and all merchandise gone. I talked to a Red Cap who had entered the room and he said his understanding was the store would be closed for foreseeable future. He said it was a bad idea for Amtrak since he saw lots of people buying souvenirs there.  More cuts to save money? :(

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    85,179 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#2 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Some sad news that the Amtrak Store in CUS has closed. I bought some nice pins and T-shirts on our trip in June but this trip I found the gates down and all merchandise gone. I talked to a Red Cap who had entered the room and he said his understanding was the store would be closed for foreseeable future. He said it was a bad idea for Amtrak since he saw lots of people buying souvenirs there.  More cuts to save money? :(

Very likely to cut costs. Heard on FB that it has been down for a while (since a week or two ago, maybe longer). Trying to appease the bean counters, perhaps? Or maybe in damage control mode before the Big Rip, is my guess. I describe the Big Rip for Amtrak as follows:

Amtrak's Big Rip Explained

1. Onboard/station services cut

2. LD Ridership/popularity down

3. LD Fundings cut

4. LD Routes cut

5. Non-NEC Corridor ridership/popularity down

6. Non-NEC Corridor fundings cut

7. Non-NEC Corridor routes cut

8. NEC privatized

Final resting state: Amtrak as we know it ceases to exist. This looks like a conspiracy to allow Amtrak to be gutted.

Now let's compare to the real Big Rip theory

1. Clusters of galaxies ripped apart

2. Galaxies ripped apart

3. Star clusters/binary star systems/planetary systems ripped apart

4. Stars and planets ripped apart

5. Molecular structures ripped apart

6. Atoms disintegrated

7. Spacetime fabric ripped apart

Final resting state: An infinitely stretched universe filled with random elementary particles.

The two looks similar, does it? 

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#3 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

nvm

Edited by MisterUptempo, 19 October 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#4 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

I saw the closure while I was in CUS last week. I have my doubts they will reopen as they've been liquidating merchandise for the last year.  Also, if you check the online store there are many items on clearance and even more have been discontinued and removed.  

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#5 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:04 AM

I've contacted "Amtrak Matt" who is in charge of the online store and products for any information he may be able to provide. When I hear something I'll post it here as soon as I can. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#6 Dave Van

Dave Van

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

Where was it....I never saw it.....

25000+ miles on Amtrak to So Cal.....

Read about my trips.......

http://www.currtail.com

#7 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

It should be down the slope from the Met Lounge/Great Hall area...opposite from the former bag check area (Last time I was in CUS was in early January, so it would be hard to tell without a photo)

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#8 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:35 AM

Maybe it was closed for upcoming remodeling at CUS for that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#9 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:41 AM

It should be down the slope from the Met Lounge/Great Hall area...opposite from the former bag check area (Last time I was in CUS was in early January, so it would be hard to tell without a photo)

It was in the old passenger services area.....which was across from the old ticket counters.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#10 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

This descriptions of what was there before don't help those who have never been to the station or when they have did not place a mental picture of everything (at least what they did not use - like bag check, passengers service and ticket counter) at CUS.

I was there a few weeks ago.  It is located on the lower level along the wide hallway that connects the main station and the great hall.  That hallway has a slope to help identify it.  The floor, at the time I was there, was covered with leaves.  :o

As I recall, the Amtrak Store was behind me on my right.  The new Metropolitan Lounge is past the crossway. 

Attached File  IMG_4628_CUS_AutumnLeaves.jpg   219.35KB   47 downloads

#11 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Also, the "old" store is next door to the Newsstand.

#12 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

It's by the fountain and escalators up to Canal St.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#13 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Please clarify that a new store has now opened, or not. The earlier posting with the red cap's comment caused some confusion.

Edited by ChuckL, 20 October 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#14 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Please clarify that a new store has now opened, or not. The earlier posting with the red cap's comment caused some confusion.

The store was closed and empty when I was there on Oct 3rd

#15 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

The store was closed and empty when I was there on Oct 3rd
Thanks AmtrakBlue.

#16 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

I strongly suspect this is clearing out space in preparation for the renovations to Chicago Union Station, which is going to rip that area out entirely in order to open up the concourse.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#17 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

When I was at the new CUS metro lounge in September I asked at the front desk if the store had been moved. I was told that it had been closed since June.

As for the online store, I ordered something small early last month and got a free "bonus" of an Acela teddy bear. Which is very cute but it sure gives me the feeling they're deleting inventory prior to shutting down.

#18 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

Sounds like Amtrak is getting out of the souvenir  business. Perhaps it wasn't profitable. 

#19 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like Amtrak is getting out of the souvenir  business. Perhaps it wasn't profitable. 

I really don't think we want Amtrak getting out of every business line which isn't profitable.....  :)

Though you might well have a point, of course.  

#20 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

The closing of the store has been in the works for about a year.  I saw a t-shirt hanging on the wall and asked if they had it in my size, they told me they didn't.  I asked if there were going to be more on order, I was told that they didn't know.  I asked on the next three or four trips to CUS and stopped asking after about April. Then last week, they were emptied out.  I've also noticed that certain t-shirts on the website were eliminated once supplies ran out.  The posters are gone, there were no 2017 calendars made and many items are on clearance and have been for quite a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users