Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Trains Magazine Blog/Tourist Trains in Peru

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

The 10/16 Trains Newsletter ( Free if you sign up) has an interesting blog on the Tourist Trains and Local Peruvian Only Trens that serve the Machu Picchu area.

Basis services( ie third class), for Peruvian citizens only start @ $3.50, and run up to $512 for the Deluxe Hiram Bingham Train.

This trip should be on the Bucket List of every lover of travel.😍
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#2 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

My friend Malcolm K. Wrote the article so if you have any questions I can ask him.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#3 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

I wonder if that would attract Pokémon Go players.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#4 Deni

Deni

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

I've been researching this a little bit as we're thinking of this as our vacation next year. It's too bad they have a rule for Peruvian citizens only on the "local" train because there is no way to have a "regular" train experience in Peru. The only trains available to travelers are the tourist trains, which I'm sure will be fun (friend took them earlier this year and said they were great) but I always like to take normal trains when I travel to get a more genuine experience. I would have liked to have the opportunity to take the tourist train one direction and the local train the other.

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

Deni: if you want to travel with the locals go to Mexico and ride the Copper Canyon Tren between Los,Mochis,and Chihuahua City.

There are 2 trains, a "Local"/ Second Class and the Tourist Train with fancy cars.

Of course it's dangerous in Mexico now due to the Cartels and Banditos, but the Army rides on the Tourist Train to guard it.

Hell-of-a trip, I used to love riding one way on the Local, and the other on the Tourist train!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 Deni

Deni

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

That sounds cool (except for the cartels and banditos part).

The trains I've been on in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar) have always been a cool experience. Rickety old trains with open windows, locals traveling with supplies they picked up in another town, like huge bags of rice or live chickens. At station stops there are people selling snacks to the passengers through the train windows.

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

My friend Malcolm took a regular Peru Rail train. I would have to ask him which one it was though it went to some hydro plant I believe.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users