New Orleans Station HELP please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happycamper

Train Attendant
Going out of New Orleans on City of New Orleans and wandering how the seating for coach works please. Some stations are first come to station and line up to get on train after everyone else that are senior or traveling with kids. LAX station you get to stand in line first come first serve and pick your seats and get on calmly. What are options in New Orleans for coach? THANK YOU!! Trying to see when to get there with luggage. Place to store luggage if want to run around town? THANKS!!!

Any hints on City of New Orleans train itself to Chicago and back would be greatly appreciated too. :)

The New Orleans Station is a Semi- Intermodel Station. Greyhound shares the building. A Street Car line to the Biz District runs right out front and taxis line up in front of the Station.There is a Subway sandwich shop and Vending machines in the Station, but since you're in one of the great Foodie cities, this doesn't matter.

It is staffed and accepts checked luggage.( be there an hour early to check items) You can day check your stuff with the agents for the standard $4 per item.

When it is time to board two lines are formed at the door to the platforms, one for Coach ( you may or may not be assigned a seat but will be assogned to a,Coach)and One for Sleeping Car passengers, which get priority boarding and can use the bare bones Lounge called the Magnolia Room.

The train itself is Superliner equipped with a Bag Car, a Transition Sleeper,a Revenue Sleeper,2 Coaches,a Sightseer Lounge with Cafe and a Diner called a Cross Country Cafe which serves,a Limited Menu of Heat and Eat food since the Chef position was eliminated during the Boardman Nickel and Dime cuts.

The tracks are very rough in some places, and most of the Route is spent in darkness due to the schedule. What little scenery there is, is around Southern Mississippi and entering New Orleans thru the swamps.

Thank you so much that is what I was looking for! Coming in on Sunset limited late night and leaving next day on the City of New Orleans. Great to hear they will hold luggage for $4 bag. We have to check out of hotel by 11am. I am assuming they don't offer the special lunch/dinner option they used to with New Orleans fare (it was something like jambaya?)... They didn't offer the special they used to on the Empire Builder earlier this year through Montana either and I was really looking forward to trying it. They used to bring on something from a local place for box dinners.. :( I have a list of all the history of the areas we go through. It is amazing all the Civil War history. :) Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked into upgrading to a Roomette in the City? Using amsnag I see Low Bucket Roomettes for $133 to Chicago which includes meals and accommodation for 2 people. ( all they pay is the Low Bucket Rail Fare ).

Sadly, the National Menu and the elimination of the Chefs position on this Train, have caused all the great Regional Specials to go away. (it used to have wonderful Etoffe and Bourbon Pecan Pie!)

Since your Hotel check out is 11am and your Train leaves @ 145pm ( be there an Hour early), I suggest yall have a late Brunch or early Lunch @ one of the fabulous joints in the City, then head to the Station on the Street Car or even walk if the weather is nice!

Thank you so much that is what I was looking for! Coming in on Sunset limited late night and leaving next day on the City of New Orleans. Great to hear they will hold luggage for $4 bag. We have to check out of hotel by 11am. I am assuming they don't offer the special lunch/dinner option they used to with New Orleans fare (it was something like jambaya?)... They didn't offer the special they used to on the Empire Builder earlier this year through Montana either and I was really looking forward to trying it. They used to bring on something from a local place for box dinners.. :( I have a list of all the history of the areas we go through. It is amazing all the Civil War history. :) Thanks again!
Any bags you don't need can probably be checked to Chicago upon arrival on the SL. Collect the bags, stuff in the dirty clothes while taking out clean ones for the hotel and the night on the CONO then immediately check it in before the Amtrak people leave. Or, better yet, keep one bag for clothes and check the others through from your starting point.

For some reason I can't get the amsnag to work for me. Even tried the 2.0 which comes up but gives me error for searching. :( Love the idea of it. :) I did see the roomette go to $190 for when we are traveling but figure we will bring NO food for dinner and have lunch in NO before hand and in Chicago for breakfast. I want to try a roomette but then I don't. I sat in one for a few seconds when asked to see one on our first trip on Amtrak that was less than 2 hours long each way to see what we thought. And honestly the coach seats were much more comfortable & recline. Also love to take pictures and really like seeing out both sides of the car at anytime. And the whole length of the car as sometimes I have to walk forward or back to empty seats to get a good pic. The lounge car just puts a lot of reflection on my pics. Found I got better pics in coach through Glacier NP last May. Woke up in Devils Lake ND last May and the sun coming over the lakes was incredible. IT was 5:30am and would have missed it on the other side which had a full moon out. And if I had a window only wouldn't have gotten the whole effect. It was gorgeous!

On checking luggage that is a great idea. Thank you I didn't think of it. So far we travel real light with small rolling bags but in the future this is a great idea. Thank you!!!

Back