TE/SL staying on train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We're riding either from CHI to SAS on the TE then th SL to LCH or reversing it. We're retired so it doesn't matter which direction! Can we stay in our roomette for the several hours that it sits in SAS? Thank you

We're riding either from CHI to SAS on the TE then th SL to LCH or reversing it. We're retired so it doesn't matter which direction! Can we stay in our roomette for the several hours that it sits in SAS? Thank you
Nope! The #421/#422 Sleepers are switched in SAS and go to LAX and CHI. ThusYoull have to get OFF and wait in the uncomfortable Amshak or else head over to Dennys during the layover before boarding #2 or #22.
Nothing else open in the wee hours around downtown San Antonio.

:( Is there a difference between the 21/22 and the 421/422? Maybe the TE isn't our best route. Thank you.

:( Is there a difference between the 21/22 and the 421/422? Maybe the TE isn't our best route. Thank you.
Same train, #421/#422 are the cutout Sleeper and Coach that are switched in SAS to/from #1 and #2. Usually cost more.
Unless you spend the night in SAS, your best bet is to use the City of New Orleans #58/#59 to/from New Orleans or other stops.

Perhaps there are Greyhounds or other Buses that could get you to/from New Orleans or other stop on the Route??

Last edited by a moderator:
You can stay in your room if you are booked in 421/422. If you are booked 21/1 or 2/22, then you have to get off and wait since the car you are in intially won't be continuing on to your destination.
This is correct only if you're going West of SAS on #421. Otherwise it's hit the platform when the Eagle pulls in to Sunset Station(Lite). You then reboard #2 for NOL when it is boarded by the SAS pasengers several hours later!

Well, yes

You can stay in your room if you are booked in 421/422. If you are booked 21/1 or 2/22, then you have to get off and wait since the car you are in intially won't be continuing on to your destination.
This is correct only if you're going West of SAS on #421. Otherwise it's hit the platform when the Eagle pulls in to Sunset Station(Lite). You then reboard #2 for NOL when it is boarded by the SAS pasengers several hours later!
Yes, I didn't look up what station LCH was so I didn't realize they were transferring from the westward train to the eastward train. I guess the "stay in our roomette" threw me and I just assumed they were continuing the same direction, not having looked up LCH. So, of course, yes, since their destination on the Texas Eagle would be San Antonio, they would have to deboard upon arrival.

Sounds like a plan for a miserable trip, hanging around in SAS from the 9:55 pm arrival of the Eagle to the 6:45 am departure of the Sunset.

I agree that the more sensible route would be to take the City of New Orleans and lay over in New Orleans.

Sorry to ask again, but would it help if we went LCH/SAS, SAS/CHI then on to EB, CS and SL home? We just want to ride the train with as few hotels as possible and no layover in NOL or "sit-over" in SAS. The CS and the EB are 2 of our favorites. Thank you again.

Well, then your San Antonio layover would be between the12:05 am arrival of the westbound Sunset and and the 7:00 am departure of the eastbound Texas Eagle.

There is no way to reverse direction, either direction, in SAS without an extensive "sit-over" in the middle of the night.

Amtrak's long distance is skeletal and with a maximum of only one train a day on most routes, doing a trip with no overnight layovers on some connections is usually not really practical.

Also, just so you know, there is not a legal, guaranteed connection between the eastbound Texas Eagle and the westbound Empire Builder, so you're overnighting in Chicago to catch the Empire Builder from the Eagle, too. The northbound City of New Orleans to the westbound Empire Builder is a guaranteed connnection, BTW.

If I were you, I'd go to the amtrak.com website, download a copy of the system timetable, and just start working out what works for you.

Suggestion: take #58 to Chicago,then #27 to PDX/#11 to LAX and then #2 to LCH( 3 days a week so schedule accordingly). All guaranteed Connections with No layovers unless it's on Amtrals dime.

You could also do #1 to LAX/#14 to PDX/#28 to CHI and #59 to NOL.

Thank you all. I think we'll just skip the TE for now. We'll just take the long way from CHI- SWC to LAX then SL home. More time on the train! :) ^_^ ;)

If you are booked on the #421 or #422 you are in the LA sleeper and can stay in your roomette/bedroom during the layover in SAS. I know i have done it and actually didn't wake up during the switching moves. The #21/#22 sleepers are the Texas Eagle sleepers and do not connect with the Sunset Limited.

If you are booked on the #421 or #422 you are in the LA sleeper and can stay in your roomette/bedroom during the layover in SAS. I know i have done it and actually didn't wake up during the switching moves. The #21/#22 sleepers are the Texas Eagle sleepers and do not connect with the Sunset Limited.
You made the same mistake in reading this that I did. The OP wants to change directions at San Antonio, LCH being Lake Charles, LA. They either want to make a transfer from 21/421 to 2 or from 1 to 22/422. Doesn't matter which of 421/21 or 422/22 they are on between Chicago and San Antonio, the Sunset between San Antonio and Lake Charles is a separate train.

Back