Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Anyone else having trouble with Amsnag today?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Any prognosis for the original version?

As long as the original URL still retrieves the data, there is hope.  If Amtrak changed the URL or removed the site, there is no hope.  I never understood why Amtrak maintained the old version.

FWIW the multi-segment - thruway bus bug is fixed.

#22 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

I've no idea whether or not Amtrak has changed its URL, but I get an "Under Construction" notice when using this URL for the original Version 1 of AmSnag:  http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Am I doing something wrong, or is there no hope for Version 1?

#23 jtallen

jtallen

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

Try this one: http://biketrain.net...g2.0/amSnag.php

#24 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

I've no idea whether or not Amtrak has changed its URL, but I get an "Under Construction" notice when using this URL for the original Version 1 of AmSnag:  http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

I forget what the advantages of Version 1 are.

Amtrak travel so far: only 8,967 miles: Springfield Shuttle (10), Lake Shore Limited (2), Northeast Regional (20), Acela (1), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage: 72

#25 DCAKen

DCAKen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

I forget what the advantages of Version 1 are.

I preferred the results table in V1 where each segment was on one line instead of a line for each accommodation type on that segment. It made for easier comparisons for different days.

#26 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

For me, the major advantage of Version 1 was the the Coach fare was not combined with any of the Sleeper upcharges and each was displayed separately.  It looked like this:  

Attached File  CHIswcLAXa.jpg   59.5KB   6 downloads

That made it simpler for me to find all or most of the buckets when making a bucket chart for all the LD trains, or a group of these: 

Attached File  4 May 2017 EB Fare Buckets.jpg   16.3KB   8 downloads

BTW, a spot check of some LD trains revealed that there was a fare increase of about 1 to 2% at the beginning of the new fiscal year.

Edited by niemi24s, 18 October 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#27 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Amtrak completely redesigned the old fare page; i.e., the one before the one that was recently changed.  So that required a lot of changes to V1.  I going to throw it out there without warranty.  There may be some minor bugs; and the fact that the new and old Amtrak websites (not Amsnag) versions don't always agree doesn't help.

Edited by PaulM, 19 October 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#28 fixj

fixj

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Trains

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

Many thanks for doing this. Amsnag is such a great gift to us. I'm headed off to try it now!

#29 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

Amtrak completely redesigned the old fare page; i.e., the one before the one that was recently changed.  So that required a lot of changes to V1.  I going to throw it out there without warranty.  There may be some minor bugs; and the fact that the new and old Amtrak websites (not Amsnag) versions don't always agree doesn't help.

Thanks for making Version 1 available again.  A quick look-see revealed this bug:  when a Roomette was sold out (as verified by Arrow) Version 1 would display the high bucket Bedroom upcharge, doing so for CHI to NYP on 9 Nov on the Cardinal and on 25 Nov on the LSL.

That's not a big problem for me because I know (or have estimated) what the values of all 296 buckets were on the LD trains at the close of FY2017 and can spot this anomaly.

But even with that, happy to see it available again.  It'll make it much easier to create a new chart showing all the buckets if I ever decide to put another one together.

Edited by niemi24s, 19 October 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#30 ChuckL

ChuckL

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

AmSnag2 Fare Watcher has sent me significant reductions on roomette charges twice for multiple rooms (4-5) on Nov 1 #3 SWC CHI-LAX. I called Amtrak reservations immediately on both occasions, but was told there were no price changes. Would this probably be caused by the Amtrak Arrow changes as well? Manual Fare Check in Amsnag 2 doesn't show the lower bucket prices either.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#31 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thank you, PaulM, for AmSnag, both versions.

I have had version 2 send multiple changes. On at least two occasions, the same message reported multiple reductions in accommodation prices (from the same starting price to different new prices, for the same accommodation) with the same timestamp. This isn't a big deal, because I always check amtrak.com before calling, but I sure was salivating when I got notified that my $1,400 fare had dropped to under $300 (and to under $600, and to under $1,000). Alas, amtrak.com said the fare was unchanged.

Any guesses as to why there would be three price reductions in the same minute?

#32 ChuckL

ChuckL

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Thank you, PaulM, for AmSnag, both versions.

I have had version 2 send multiple changes. On at least two occasions, the same message reported multiple reductions in accommodation prices (from the same starting price to different new prices, for the same accommodation) with the same timestamp. This isn't a big deal, because I always check amtrak.com before calling, but I sure was salivating when I got notified that my $1,400 fare had dropped to under $300 (and to under $600, and to under $1,000). Alas, amtrak.com said the fare was unchanged.

Any guesses as to why there would be three price reductions in the same minute?

Yes, first and foremost Thank You PaulM! This is exactly what happens to me, but I'm drooling instead of salivating when I see some of the huge price drops coming across.
Once had four drops and one increase at the same time.

Edited by ChuckL, 19 October 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#33 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

A quick look-see revealed this bug:  when a Roomette was sold out (as verified by Arrow) Version 1 would display the high bucket Bedroom upcharge, doing so for CHI to NYP on 9 Nov on the Cardinal and on 25 Nov on the LSL.

I believe it is fixed now.  Keep those bugs coming. :P

As far as the fare watch is concerned, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Edited by PaulM, 19 October 2017 - 05:14 PM.

#34 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

I believe it is fixed now.  Keep those bugs coming. :P

The bug reported in Post #29 is fixed.  Thanx, Paul.

Edited by niemi24s, 19 October 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#35 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

I've added the low bucket rail fare to version 1.  This is useful for those who like to reconcile the results with Amtrak's output since it is this value (not necessarily the coach fare) that is added to the accommodation charge(s) to come up with the total.

Edited by PaulM, 20 October 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#36 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,172 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Paul! 😎

Who coulda known that a Labor of Love would turn out to be so much work???!!!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#37 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

AmSnag2 Fare Watcher has sent me significant reductions on roomette charges twice for multiple rooms (4-5) on Nov 1 #3 SWC CHI-LAX. I called Amtrak reservations immediately on both occasions, but was told there were no price changes. Would this probably be caused by the Amtrak Arrow changes as well? Manual Fare Check in Amsnag 2 doesn't show the lower bucket prices either.

Looking at a log I keep, I've noticed this. Ordinarily when an email reports a  fare drop that turns out to not be valid, I assume there was another change between the time the fare was scraped and the user read the email and checked with Amtrak.  Unless of course you checked with Amtrak the minute you received the email (I'm assuming the email gets sent at the same time as the fares were checked). But what people are reporting recently can't be correct.  I've also noticed multiple changes to the same accommodation at exactly the same time, which can't be correct.

As I mentioned previously, I haven't had a chance to look at the fare watch program; but I'm at a loss to know why Fare Watch would have a problem since it uses the same algorithm to retrieve fares as Amsnag V2 (which seems to be working properly, as you observed) to retrieve fares.  The comparison between the old and new fares and sending the email shouldn't have been affected by Amtrak's change.

In any event, I'm working on it.  But it could take a while.  It's difficult to set up test cases since I'm depending on Amtrak to provide a critical input.

Edited by PaulM, 21 October 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#38 ChuckL

ChuckL

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

PaulM, Thanks for your continued diligence in checking this out. It's truly appreciated!

#39 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Thanks to Paul's efforts on AmSnag, the following chart of fare buckets was compiled with only a few hours of effort:

Attached File  22 Oct 2017 Amtrak Fare Buckets.jpg   184.74KB   1 downloads

No estimates were made of missing bucket values as was done previously.  Any increases were quite modest, being in the 1% to 2% range.  Sleeper upcharges for the CZ and EB were unchanged from the previous fiscal year..

Edited by niemi24s, Today, 08:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

niemi24s