Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Three adults in a family bedroom?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

My multi-leg trip on the Coast Starlight just got more complicated, LOL, now a third adult family member is joining hubby and myself. I don't think we will be able to get two roomettes for some of the legs, so I'm wondering how easily three adults fit in a family bedroom. I don't mind squeezing a bit into a bed if necessary, and of course, we would spend as much time as possible in the Parlour Car.

Thanks!

#2 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

You have a couple of options.

The lower berth in the family room is 40" wide, which is the same width as a twin mattress. If you and your husband are small enough that you could share a twin bed, you could probably share the lower berth while the other adult takes the upper berth.

The lower chid berth is 4'9" long, so if you are short in stature and don't mind sleeping curled up a bit, you could take the lower child berth. That's a tight squeeze, though, even if you're 5'2".

Additionally, if you choose either option and one of you doesn't get much sleep, it's easy enough for someone to return to the room to catch a nap during the day. You'll miss some scenery, but it might save your marriage. ;)

Edited by SarahZ, 08 October 2017 - 02:45 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

I'm wondering how easily three adults fit in a family bedroom. I don't mind squeezing a bit into a bed if necessary, and of course, we would spend as much time as possible in the Parlour Car.

Not very easily.  It's simply not designed for three adults to rest comfortably.  Not saying it can't be done, just that it you might regret it.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 08 October 2017 - 03:15 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,569 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

The lower berth in the family room is 40" wide, which is the same width as a twin mattress. If you and your husband are small enough that you could share a twin bed, you could probably share the lower berth while the other adult takes the upper berth.

This. The wife and I have no issues sharing the lower, leaving the upper for a third adult.

In the daytime configuration, there is plenty of space:
Auto_Train_2009_14-XL.jpg
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Oh my gosh! "A" was so little!  :wub:

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#6 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

How old is that photo? :)

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#7 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

How old is that photo? :)

Well, Ryan looks about 16, so I'd say it's around 37 years old.

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,569 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

I'm not 45, I only act that way on the internet. :P

It's from 2009, I was nearing my 30th birthday... :D
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#9 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

Just wondering how the fare structure works with 3 adults in the family room, do all still get the "included meals"?

Ed.

#10 Dave Van

Dave Van

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Should be no issue as long as someone will not mind upper bed. 

25000+ miles on Amtrak to So Cal.....

Read about my trips.......

http://www.currtail.com

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,569 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

Just wondering how the fare structure works with 3 adults in the family room, do all still get the "included meals"?

Ed.

Yes. Anyone ticketed in the room gets a meal.
Posted Image

#12 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

We wouldn't consider an overnight trip with three adults in an Amtrak bedroom. It has been done before but its just too tight for us..  Several years back, when the EB was regularly running hours late, my wife and myself (both about 6' tall) slept in the bottom bunk for a few hours before arriving in CHI at 3 AM. It was not that comfortable. We have friends that traveled 3 in a bedroom but that was with their daughter who was petite and in her early teens.

I suggest trying to spend a night beforehand on a std twin size bed with your spouse/partner and determine, if that suits your comfort level.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users