Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

The Amtrak Website Has a "New Look."

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

A roomette may be more expensive than a family bedroom on 28 - usually those options will appear based on price (although a train with both sleeper and business class will show sleeper first.)

Thanks for that information. I had not noticed that before, probably because the roomettes have been the lowest priced accommodation.

#42 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

[...] I've been looking at the website on my 13 inch laptop and it looks fine to me.

The layout is fine in Safari, on both my desktop and my laptop. It looks fine in Chrome too.

Perhaps my laptop is too small. However, requiring a customer to have a larger laptop or live with horizontal scrolling, when the layout could be compressed, is a poor business decision. A company that wants money should make it easy for a customer to decide to give it.

#43 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,923 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

So far I have been unable to pull up any of my existing eVouchers to apply them to a new reservation. I guess this is a new feature to force use of new cash instead of reusing cash put away in vouchers. :P

I have tried on Chrome and Firefox so far.

#44 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

I like the new look.

Much more modern and clean.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#45 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

The "can't change the selected station" bug is still there. At least on Chrome and Opera on Mac OS X, and Chrome on Linux. It worked properly on Safari and Firefox for OS X.

Functionality is impaired in Opera -- the popup menus block the text entry fields.

And it's running very slow this morning, taking a minute or more to display train/ticket info.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,923 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

Now we await to see it work properly ;)

#47 Eric in East County

Eric in East County

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Traveling onboard AMTRAK, monitoring railroad and police radio traffic, collecting and photographing vintage O-scale trains made by MARX

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

As of 11:10 a.m. PDT, the site down for maintenance.

#48 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

I like the new look. Much more modern and clean.

Except now it looks and feels nothing like the product they're selling.  What the website really needs is a gritty stained carpet background with bossy safety commands and extraneous dining announcements randomly flooding your computer speakers.  Then you'd only be missing the chem-soap, fabric detergent, and blue wash potpourri.  :lol:

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#49 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Futbol

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

The main page loads quickly, anything after that is slow as hell. Can't make any reservation at all... keep timing out.

#50 sitzplatz17

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Did a human build it? Does it move? Then I like it!!
    Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Ships, Bicycles, etc.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I too tried to go through the reservation process and ended up getting a "page not found" error. 

While the new look is fine with me, the launch of the site looks to be very poorly done.

There's a difference between "a few bugs" and "I can't even purchase your product".

Amtrak Routes I've ridden: Acela Service (4x), Adirondack, Auto Train (9x), California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (4x), Cardinal, Cascades Service (2x), Coast Starlight, Crescent (2x), Downeaster, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service (2x), Missouri River Runner, Northeast Regional (20x+), Pacific Surfliner (10x), Palmetto, Silver Meteor (2x), Silver Star, Southwest Chief (2x), Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL in '01), and the Texas Eagle.

Travelin' Amtrak since '93

#51 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,923 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Oooh! Now we get the "Amtrak.com Lite Mode", on which I still cannot do what I need to do. But at least one can book a ticket apparently, if no vouchers are involved.

I wonder what it takes for such spectacular level of competence for production cut over to a new user front end. Sigh....

Edited by jis, 09 October 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#52 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

[...] I've been looking at the website on my 13 inch laptop and it looks fine to me.

The layout is fine in Safari, on both my desktop and my laptop. It looks fine in Chrome too.

Perhaps my laptop is too small. However, requiring a customer to have a larger laptop or live with horizontal scrolling, when the layout could be compressed, is a poor business decision. A company that wants money should make it easy for a customer to decide to give it.

The new website is set up with auto-scaling. So as your screen width gets smaller the website should flow into a tablet version then down into a mobile version. This functionality is pretty common these days across the internet, but is also pretty new. Some (mainly older versions of) browsers may break the auto-scaling. What browser are you using?

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#53 Anthony V

Anthony V

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I got the site to work by clicking on it through Google, but when I get to the site, most of the stations and route pages have large amounts of Mandarin Chinese characters as text, I can't read Mandarin (and I doubt many people on this site can)! Is this just a bug they still haven't worked out on the new site, or are we going to have to learn to read Mandarin in order to use Amtrak.com.

Trains I've traveled on:

Metra:

BNSF Railway Line

Union Pacific Northwest Line

Union Pacific West Line

Tourist railroads:

Rockford Park District Trolley Car #36 - Rockford, IL

Illinois Railway Museum - Union, IL

Mid-Continent Railway Museum - North Freedom, WI

#54 AmarilloByMornin

AmarilloByMornin

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Just for fun I tried booking a future trip, just to see how it's working. It didn't have the same look it had earlier but I was able to navigate it. The first screen didn't offer senior passage so I chose adult. Next screen showed the base price of $129 for a coach seat. There was a link for upgrade options which showed the additional price above the base for the various upgrades, biz class, roomette and bedrooms, So I chose one and went on. The next screen gave me the opportunity to change my status to senior. When I did that, the base price became $136.85, about a 10% increase...

I expect the phone reservation lines are busy today.

Even if they did the math wrong, adding instead of subtracting, I thought the senior discount was 15%.

#55 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,182 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

One problem I see is that to use the disability discount, you must call. And apparently if you want any discounts (AAA, Senior, NARP, etc...) - the only options are adult, child and infant.

You no longer can check a discount fare.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#56 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

One problem I see is that to use the disability discount, you must call. And apparently if you want any discounts (AAA, Senior, NARP, etc...) - the only options are adult, child and infant.

This is only because they they have the Amtrak.com Lite version up right now.  The new website does have the ability to book discounts- I checked it out yesterday.

#57 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

This is only because they they have the Amtrak.com Lite version up right now.  The new website does have the ability to book discounts- I checked it out yesterday.

Ditto. I was able to select my AAA discount yesterday.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#58 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Just for fun I tried booking a future trip, just to see how it's working. It didn't have the same look it had earlier but I was able to navigate it. The first screen didn't offer senior passage so I chose adult. Next screen showed the base price of $129 for a coach seat. There was a link for upgrade options which showed the additional price above the base for the various upgrades, biz class, roomette and bedrooms, So I chose one and went on. The next screen gave me the opportunity to change my status to senior. When I did that, the base price became $136.85, about a 10% increase...

I expect the phone reservation lines are busy today.

Even if they did the math wrong, adding instead of subtracting, I thought the senior discount was 15%.

This is likely because the $129 rate was a saver rate, ineligible for discounts. When the senior option was chosen, it reverted to a higher value fare and took the discount off of that.

This isn't the "new website," though, just a basic version when the main website fails.

#59 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,142 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Currently (@ 630pm CDT/10/09) logging on to the full amtrak.com shows a message that due to "issues" one can only book one way and roundtrip fares and check train status.

All other features are unavailable.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#60 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

Until this new Amtrak site is fully functional, without bugs, why can't they simply revert to the old site which worked reasonably well?

At my company, we go through something like this with our intranet every time it undergoes changes--some of those significant, involving a new OS. There is ALWAYS the option to back out of the "new" and temporarily go back to the "old" until the "new" is proven through exhaustive testing to be ready for prime time. This has actually happened more than once, unfortunately. Is this beyond the Amtrak IT department's capabilities?

I really hate when software developers unleash a Beta version to the public sphere so real-world users can do the developers' job of discovering bugs. I know some computer nerds will disagree, claiming a new system can't be fully evaluated unless thousands of simultaneous users are in queue. Bull! There is a software solution to simulate thousands of users without infuriating the public.

That is sort of what happened when the original ACA website was launched. That is part of the reason the ACA never reached its full potential. Now Amtrak? Exasperating!

Edited by Skyline, 09 October 2017 - 10:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users