Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

What a year... gonna get Select Executive...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

My trip on Thursday from Orlando to NYC gave me enough TQPs to put me over the top for Select Executive for next year.  YAY!!!

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#22 uppereastsider

uppereastsider

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak Select+

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

I've been S+ for several years, but due to the double TQP promotion, I'm less than 600 TQPs away from Select Executive. Will be getting it by the end of the month.. i'm excited as well! First time!

#23 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,172 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Congrats to all you Wealthy members and Corridor residents that can easily make Select + and SE, we poor slubs out in Flyover Country, where Amtrak Trains are scarce, are SOL with the New and Unimproved AGR2.0.😣😄

Edited by Bob Dylan, 16 October 2017 - 10:26 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Congrats to all you Wealthy members and Corridor residents that can easily make Select + and SE, we poor slubs out in Flyover Country, where Amtrak Trains are scarce, are SOL with the New and Unimproved AGR2.0.

On the plus side it's really not much of a loss considering that AGR status provides no tangible benefits (other than personalized luggage tags) on most of Amtrak's nationwide network. Imagine if frequent flyer status only rewarded passengers who happened to live and commute in a couple high volume corridors. Nobody else would notice or care.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 16 October 2017 - 10:41 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

It surprises me that Amtrak is unable to even provide boarding priority and such simple things to Select+ and Select-E. One of the biggest immediate advantage of getting higher premier status on airlines is in boarding priority and handling of IROPS and some relief from fare class restrictions.

#26 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

It surprises me that Amtrak is unable to even provide boarding priority and such simple things to Select+ and Select-E. One of the biggest immediate advantage of getting higher premier status on airlines is in boarding priority and handling of IROPS and some relief from fare class restrictions.

I have received boarding priority in WAS, based on my status.  They may offer priortiy boarding in NYP, but I have not tried.  I believe I heard an announcement the other day.  

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#27 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Congrats to all you Wealthy members and Corridor residents that can easily make Select + and SE, we poor slubs out in Flyover Country, where Amtrak Trains are scarce, are SOL with the New and Unimproved AGR2.0.😣😄

On the other hand, I am by no means rich, live nowhere near any corridor, and the only train in town has calling times at 0 dark 30. Yet I reached Select for the first time after not getting enough TQP's in the first 8 years combined that I was an AGR member, not that select does me much good. And Eastern Washington is for all intents and purposes flyover country. As you are fond of saying, YMMV!! ;)
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#28 Bex

Bex

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

I have received boarding priority in WAS, based on my status.  They may offer priortiy boarding in NYP, but I have not tried.  I believe I heard an announcement the other day.  

In Club Acela at NYP they announce the track numbers before they hit the board and tell you that you can assemble at the escalator for that track, so for all intents and purposes, it's priority boarding. This is literally the only reason I stretch slightly to make S+. It really beats standing and staring at the downstairs board for 20-30 minutes every week.

#29 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:49 PM

So the only places where one can get priority is at the less than a dozen places that have a lounge? WAS is different since they do have a separate boarding order for upper class and select+/E.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#30 Bex

Bex

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM

Re: the NEC, for the most part, I only board in two places, NYP and BAL. Believe me, I wish I could have priority boarding in BAL but I don't know how it would work. The train is in the station for 3-4 minutes and just about every one of those minutes is used by passengers actually physically boarding the train. They wait on the platform for the train to arrive, as they do at every other station I've passed through other than WAS, NYP, and BOS. I mean, would you hold them back in a cordoned off area on the platform? Or in the station? I can't imagine how it would work in practice at the vast majority of stations and still have trains leave on time.

#31 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted Today, 06:12 AM

On the plus side it's really not much of a loss considering that AGR status provides no tangible benefits (other than personalized luggage tags) on most of Amtrak's nationwide network. Imagine if frequent flyer status only rewarded passengers who happened to live and commute in a couple high volume corridors. Nobody else would notice or care.

Yeah, the status really provides practically nothing in my context.

I have access to the lounges anyway because I'm taking sleepers when I travel overnight, and I'm not usually arriving much in advance of boarding at a major station for a coach departure. (I did manage to use one lounge coupon, returning from NYC in coach, and the bathrooms in the Acela Lounge are certainly nicer than the main Penn Station bathrooms.)

The business class upgrade coupons are never usable because business class is always sold out (outside the NEC).

The companion coupons are only useful in coach, which doesn't apply when travelling overnight in sleeper (as I usually am when taking my girlfriend), or when travelling alone (which I usually do when going to NYC), which means I haven't figured out how to use one yet.

The coach discount coupon is for the same amount as the NARP/AAA discount so it is completely and permanently worthless unless I find someone to give it away to.

The only thing I get is the 25%/50%/100% points bonus for paid travel, which, to be fair, is nice, since the points can be redeemed. Valuing the points at 2.3 to 2.8 cents, it's a slight bonus. If we assume 2.5 cents, then it's 1.25% for Select, 2.5% for Select Plus, and 5% for Select Executive.

Oh, and at "Select Executive", automatic registration for promotions. A slight convenience, I guess.

I have suggested that they provide *some* freebie which is usable outside the NEC. Anything. Coupon for a free hot dog?

I have "coupons":
-- two companion coupons which already expired unused last week
-- two upgrades valid through tomorrow at midnight, expiring unused
-- two discount coupons valid through tomorrow at midnight, expiring unused
-- companion coupon valid through 5/12/18, likely to expire unused
-- upgrade valid through 5/12/18, likely to expire unused
-- lounge pass valid through 12/31/17, certain to expire unused (and I'd have to physically hand it off to give it to someone else)
-- two lounge passes valid through 2/28/18, almost certain to expire unused
-- lounge pass valid through 6/30/18, likely to expire unused too
Almost worthless.

Edited by neroden, Today, 06:35 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#32 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Amtrak could easily make the companion coupon worth it by dropping the "excluding sleeper" provision on them - sure, charge the full accommodation charge + one person, but let the companion pass waive the second rail fare. I can see why they don't want to allow upgrade coupons for sleepers, but if there was a widespread business class on all of the long-distance trains it could be more useful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Eric S