Roomette for 9 hour day trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On every overnight LD trip we always book bedroom accommodations, No problems and good comfort for two people near 6' in height.

In 2018 we will travel to OMA then do a car trip that will take us to parts of So. Dakota. We booked a bedroom WAS-CHI on the CL for the overnight leg of the trip. There is a 5 hr layover at CHI the next day and we continue the trip in a roomette to OMA CHI-OMA is a long 9 hr trip and you arrive around 11:15 PM.. Since its a long day we hope to get a few hours of sleep in the roomette before arriving in OMA . I would say we are not sure how to handle this the best way. Taking an early dinner, getting the beds put down right afterward seems to make the most sense but we must ask, how have others handled long day trips in a roomette?

I have taken the Coast Starlight from Emeryville(SFran) to Los Angeles, an all day trip, arriving 9 PM if on time. I don't request the bed be made down but can nap most anytime of the day since the sofa seats and pillows are comfortable enough for me. I ride the CZ also and realize the CZ does not arrive in Omaha until late evening after I have gone to bed but don't think I would make the bed if the train was operating on schedule.

We've done several...with the Roomette set for daytime and "sleeping" sitting up:

Last July Emeryville to LA (daytime)

A year ago this month Portland to Spokane (evening)

A few years ago LA to Williams Junction (overnight)

We've done several...with the Roomette set for daytime and "sleeping" sitting up:

Last July Emeryville to LA (daytime)

A year ago this month Portland to Spokane (evening)

A few years ago LA to Williams Junction (overnight)
This can be a good option but with two 6' tall people in a roomette not sure how good this will work. Most of the afternoon and evening we will be on the train. We have taken 4 hour trips in coach during the day but never 9 hours in a seat. I guess that we will decide when we board.

In the days when single slumbercoaches cost $15 and roomettes cost $45 on Amtrak's Broadway Ltd, this was a no-brainer. Get the sleeper! Today, costs are definitely a factor.

In the days when single slumbercoaches cost $15 and roomettes cost $45 on Amtrak's Broadway Ltd, this was a no-brainer. Get the sleeper! Today, costs are definitely a factor.
Would it cost that much in 1975 dollars or 2017 dollars? (Inflation)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's 1975 Dollars, but Slumber Coaches were still the Best Deal going!

Slumbercoach single rooms on the B&O were $6 in 1962.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I just used an online inflation calculator. $15 in 1975 equals $68.25 today. If Amtrak still offered single slumbercoaches at $68.25, I'd be all over it! Sadly, the slumbercoach is no more.

We did SWC 3 from CHI to KCY and had a roomette. We asked the SCA to put down the bed after supper and got some needed rest. Since the train ran nearly two hours late it was a relief to sleep a little before disembarking at 11:30 pm.

Departing from the original question of this post, yes I would like to see the Slumbercoaches return but there is no chance they will. While I never rode in one I was able to tour and go into a slumbercoach car at a railroad museum in Illiniois. The concept was a great idea that provided a bed at just slightly more than coach fare.. The rooms were tiny single bed affairs, with a toilet and sink, very good for the single traveler at an excellent price point.. The slumber coach capacity was something like 44 passengers. AFAIK, meals were not included. The rooms were staggered, one high and one low on both sides of the car. The high room had two steps while the low one offered direct entry. There were rooms on both sides of the car. In today's times where ADA and liability concerns come into play the slumbercoach design just doesn't fit in.

quote by railroad Bill "We did SWC 3 from CHI to KCY and had a roomette. We asked the SCA to put down the bed after supper and got some needed rest. Since the train ran nearly two hours late it was a relief to sleep a little before disembarking at 11:30 pm".

That seems to make perfect sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, several times. Quite often, it's the "DEAL OF THE CENTURY". Recently it was like $168 for LAX to EMY in roomette. Two meals, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, access to PPC. Never did spend even ONE minute in my roomette, just got on, threw down my bag in room, and headed straight for the PPC. Never once left. (moved seats a ton, but never left)

I have taken the Coast Starlight from Emeryville(SFran) to Los Angeles, an all day trip, arriving 9 PM if on time. I don't request the bed be made down but can nap most anytime of the day since the sofa seats and pillows are comfortable enough for me. I ride the CZ also and realize the CZ does not arrive in Omaha until late evening after I have gone to bed but don't think I would make the bed if the train was operating on schedule.

Back