Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Snow in Glacier National Park? EB okay?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 RalphCT

RalphCT

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Big snow storms can interrupt travel via the Empire Builder. This past storm was most severe out on the Highline near Havre where power poles were brought down. But the storm has cleared and typical fall weather is in the forecast. Hopefully all Empire Builders will return to an on time condition soon.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

#22 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

If you want to SEE what it looks like in Montana right now, here's a link to the Dept of Transportation road conditions website:

http://roadreport.md...travinfomobile/

You want to look along US 2, an east/west highway in the northern part of the state. Essex (Izaak Walton) is the camera that partly covers the name "Columbia Falls". Click on the camera, then on the right arrow, to see the cam (strange system). It looks like it HAS snowed at Two Medicine (Glacier), but mostly melted. Air temp is currently 47°, so the snow won't stick around long.

Vid-000629002-00-02-2017-10-04-20-17.jpg

Edited by oregon pioneer, 05 October 2017 - 06:08 PM.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#23 RalphCT

RalphCT

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yes, we had a good snowstorm last Monday October 2, 2017. But it has since warmed back into the 40s and 50s so much has melted away. Typical fall weather here in Montana.  :)

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

#24 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

More snow up there today--expecting 15 inches, but I'm assuming they can clear that with no trouble. I am leaving this evening, and we will go along that beautiful Columbia River, then split at Spokane, so I'm assuming we don't get to Glacier National Park til overnight or even morning? The snow is supposed to go east by then.

There's supposed to be some snow on the plains, too, but snow on flat ground is what I'm used to, so that won't bother me. If we get stuck, maybe the cows in ND can come and help push the snow away. It would be a nice enrichment activity for them, since the poor things looked really, really bored out there staring into vast space with nothing much to look at! :P

By the way, for those of you who think I am a total wimp for being scared of mountains, I went through mountains in California yesterday and was just fine. I think because they had lots of trees on them (beautiful fall colors!) and looked welcoming instead of forbidding. Plus, it's hard to be panic-stricken when you're having lunch in the PPC and being served a lemon citrus tart for dessert. :)

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 09 October 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#25 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

I was wondering how you would do through the Cascades. I suspected the trees would help.
The EB does not split in Spokane eastbound. 8 & 28 will be joined there. I wouldn’t worry about the snow - they’re used to it up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#26 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Sounds as though you're having a good trip.

Have Fun!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#27 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,172 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hope you get to see Glacier in Daylight and Wildlife in the Snow as you roll across thw Big Nowhere!😊

You Win First Prize for being the last AUer home from the Gathering!

It's an all expenses paid weekend in Beautiful downtown Trenton!😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#28 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

AmtrakBlue--you were right, of course--I forgot they would be put back together again!

Rail Freak--Thank you! Yes, I am having a great trip, and the PPC was a highlight for someone from the east coast!

Jim Bob D.--I want to trade in my first prize. :P (It does feel weird that I'm still traveling while you all are discussing the next Gathering!)

To all of you who were so patient with me being afraid of mountains: on the return trip, I made myself look, and you were all right--it was beautiful! Leaves changing, and just ribbons of snow left, on a gorgeous sunny day. For some reason, it was a bit better going east than west.

#29 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

I would love to travel the Empire Builder during the winter, but besides the snow, how is the daylight? I would imagine a lot of the ride is in the dark.

#30 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

We saw all of Glacier National Park in the daylight going east, but that might be different with shorter days.

#31 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

I would love to travel the Empire Builder during the winter, but besides the snow, how is the daylight? I would imagine a lot of the ride is in the dark.

The best scenic memory of my Winter trip on EB was the dark travel en route to Spokane after leaving Everett, WA.  It was snowing during the most of that route once we were in the Cascades (rain before and when we left Seattle).  It was difficult to make myself to stop viewing the scene and get some sleep!  Simply beautiful!!!!!

#32 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Is that what the extremely bumpy part that felt like a roller coaster down the Shore was? The Cascades? Whatever it was, I was glad it was in the dark both ways, because that was actually the scariest part of the trip. I had no idea where we were and just pulled the covers over my head and hoped we would stop zooming around and up and down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users