Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Menu Changes (October 2017)

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,652 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

Sounds like that Crew really made the Dinerless LSL a great trip like it should be every trip considering the popularity of this,train and the prices charged!

Hopefully you tipped accordingly and let Amtrak know about the great OBS staff, they dont get lots of compliments, just lots of complaints. ( sadly most are justified😣)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 06 November 2017 - 03:29 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#122 abcnews

abcnews

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

We really enjoyed the new menu on our recent Silver Meteor trip. I had the Land & Sea, and my wife had the Salmon. It was really good. And we dined in style in a sparkling new Viewliner diner. What an amazing dinning car. Especially at dinner - just before sunset.

www.miketopham.com

blog: miketophamblog.com

#123 IndyLions

IndyLions

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

Sounds like that Crew really made the Dinerless LSL a great trip like it should be every trip considering the popularity of this,train and the prices charged!

Hopefully you tipped accordingly and let Amtrak know about the great OBS staff, they dont get lots of compliments, just lots of complaints. ( sadly most are justified)

We definitely tipped appropriately...they deserved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#124 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

Was glad to see new menu items. Who's had them? Almost went with the Shrimp Biryani on the Zephyr last week but server advised avajnst it. Thankfully he did, table across had it, and it looked terrible, watery goup. Guy didn't eat it.,,,,I assume it's a "add boiling water to cook" dish and too much water was thrown in.

Especially interested in the new lunch, was never a fan of the burgers day after day. Anyone had the Chiliquilea or steamed mussels? Would have thought the mussels would have been a better dinner offering.

I did have the seafood cake with steak last week, and it wasn't too bad. I was not a fan of their take on a bernaise sauce, it was just salt and fat in a cup, and didn't really resemble its namesake sauce at all. The lemon was a nice touch for the seafood, would have been lacking that acid without it.

Attached Files

Edited by Shortline, 29 December 2017 - 03:08 PM.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#125 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Was glad to see new menu items. Who's had them? Almost went with the Shrimp Biryani on the Zephyr last week but server advised avajnst it. Thankfully he did, table across had it, and it looked terrible, watery goup. Guy didn't eat it.,,,,I assume it's a "add boiling water to cook" dish and too much water was thrown in.

Especially interested in the new lunch, was never a fan of the burgers day after day. Anyone had the Chiliquilea or steamed mussels? Would have thought the mussels would have been a better dinner offering.

Just goes to show you; I had the Biryani on the SWC at Thanksgiving and I thought it too dry (not that I know what it's supposed to be).  On the return trip I had it again and it was moister.  The real issue is whether or not you like things very hot, as in spicy.

I've had the mussels twice and thought they were great, the only problem being that no sides come with it.  We solved it by my ordering the mussels and my wife ordering the lunch salad and sharing.  That solved the problem.

#126 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Good, thanks. Was hoping the mussels were good. And i do like spicy, very very spicy food. But what I saw looked terrible, it was literally biryani soup. I have 4 nights in a row coming up soon, I think I'll give it a try just to break things up. I despise salmon (lived in Alaska for 5 years and fished a lot. Ate it smoked, grilled, broiled, stuffed, and any other way, I can't even stand the smell of it anymore! Will only have one lunch, so will be a toss up, mussels or chiliquilles. Breakfast will bbe coffee. And real food during my two layovers

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#127 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

The chiliquilles were good when I had them.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#128 JRR

JRR

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

The mussels are good but if you want them to be great, buy a glass of Chardonnay and add some to the mussels.

Really good. They are nice big mussels. The server advised they come frozen.

If you want more, then sharing works.

#129 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

If you want more, then sharing works.

You mean they won't let you buy more mussels?   :blink:

#130 JRR

JRR

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

I’m sure you could.

#131 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

I got to try the seafood cake this past week.  Not going to lie, it does not work for me.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#132 JRR

JRR

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

I had the cake last night and it wasn’t bad. Not a Baltimore crab cake by any stretch but they had somehow made it crispy so it was much better than when I had it before.

They also did a great job on the steak as it was much better than usual.

Must make a difference who is preparing the food!

#133 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,652 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

I got to try the seafood cake this past week.  Not going to lie, it does not work for me.

Ditto!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users