Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Menu Changes (October 2017)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

I think the breakfast and dinner choices are good, but there's nothing I like on the new lunch menu. I asked for the kids' menu items twice and was given them with no quarrel. The mac and cheese was blah (basic children's food out a box), but the hot dog was quite good.

I've not had the opportunity to try the new menus, but I agree with your opinion about both the Breakfast and Dinner Menus then as well as with the new published ones.  Plenty of enjoyable choices for me, but the Lunch menu then--and still with the new menu--is lacking as far as I am concerned.  I had the burger both days during my EB trip and I was pleased with what I was served.  I'd appreciate something more "creative" than "Kettle Chips", however.  I had considered ordering the Mac & Cheese once, but didn't. 

#82 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

OK now...what exactly is a "griddle seared shellfish cake" ?  Ground up shrimp eyes and tails mixed in with various Monsanto-engineered synthetic bonding agents?  Why not just the damn shrimp like before ?!?!  Big Food killing the population.

Edited by tommylicious, 13 October 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#83 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

The burger I had on 6 last Saturday was missing something. Not sure what it was but it was not as good as ones I had even a year or two back. I am also a bit bored by the burger to. I like the bacon and cheese quesadillas on the last menu. The mussels on this menu. The hot dog looked good when another pax ordered it. The bun was toasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#84 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

Except the burger arguably isn't worth an inflated $13.

One could argue the alternative - by definition, the burger is worth $13 for as long as people to continue to pay for it.

All this burger talk is making we wish that I'd grabbed a second In-n-Out while I was there for lunch. Would go nicely as I sit in the barren wasteland that is ONT airport.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#85 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

One could argue the alternative - by definition, the burger is worth $13 for as long as people to continue to pay for it.

That's the problem with gauging the genuine desires of a captive audience. There's not much opportunity for meaningful choices or actionable feedback so the ability to draw useful conclusions is limited.

If you travel in a sleeper then in most cases you're out the money either way so I'd imagine many people figure they might as well order something, even if when it's not what they really want. Some people may view the sleeper meals as a credit rather than a debit but the emotional response to the meal clock is likely to be the same. Either you use it or lose it.

If we ignore kids meals and breakfast options, then burgers and salads now represent 80% of the available lunch meals on the standardized national menu. In the case of the limited express menu, burgers and salad now represent a full 100% of the non-breakfast lunch meals for adults. We're talking (nearly) every long distance train, every single day, in both directions, for months on end.  It's almost like Amtrak is daring us to stop eating. 

Some people would probably put up with almost any food just for the experience and atmosphere.  Others have mentioned they still enjoy the meals exactly as offered.  But for me the Amtrak dining experience generally begins to fall apart the moment I start paying attention to whatever I'm actually eating.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 13 October 2017 - 10:35 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#86 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

"miscellaneous seafood cake" = CAT FOOD!

Have you actually put any in your mouth, or are you just running off at the same?

I HAVE had the crab cakes before' so retract your smart ass remark!

Consider it done.  Glad to hear your assessment was based on actual tasting.  

Thank you :)  I found them to be way to "fishy" and coarse in texture; no where near a good Maryland Crab Cake.

#87 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

I'm kind of interested in the salad offered at lunch. Breakfast is always so heavy that I'm usually not in the mood to shove a burger or meatballs down on top of that, so having a salad (with chicken) is a good compromise.

I'll report back after my trip. :)

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#88 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

That's the problem with gauging the genuine desires of a captive audience. There's not much opportunity for meaningful choices or actionable feedback so the ability to draw useful conclusions is limited.

If you travel in a sleeper then in most cases you're out the money either way so I'd imagine many people figure they might as well order something, even if when it's not what they really want. Some people may view the sleeper meals as a credit rather than a debit but the emotional response to the meal clock is likely to be the same. Either you use it or lose it.

If we ignore kids meals and breakfast options, then burgers and salads now represent 80% of the available lunch meals on the standardized national menu. In the case of the limited express menu, burgers and salad now represent a full 100% of the non-breakfast lunch meals for adults. We're talking (nearly) every long distance train, every single day, in both directions, for months on end.  It's almost like Amtrak is daring us to stop eating. 

Some people would probably put up with almost any food just for the experience and atmosphere.  Others have mentioned they still enjoy the meals exactly as offered.  But for me the Amtrak dining experience generally begins to fall apart the moment I start paying attention to whatever I'm actually eating.

And this is why I as a single person am priced out of sleepers. I'm essentially paying for two people's meals. Roomettes are really priced for couples not for single people.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#89 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

I’m not sure why you harbor the mistaken belief that a price on the menu has anything to do with the price of a sleeper ticket.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#90 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,619 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Lets remember that the fully allocated cost of that burger to Amtrak is ~ $10; that includes your well paid (please dont turn this into a union bashing thread!) railroad employees, dining car maintenance, and costs of pulling the car.

Its a bit of a misleading pricing arguement to base decisions on fully allocated costs, but if that burger does cost $10 to put on your plate, does that really mean Amtrak is gouging you?

Five Guys sucks, but there are good burger restaurants who can put a decent burger on your plate for $8. But that is a stationary restaurant, not requiring FRA inspections, vehicle maintenance, Federal food scrutiny from the FDA, union railroad employees, and wear and tear on the cooking equipment due to it not being stationary.

We need to consider that boost in costs, as well as a basic fair price premium for captivity. Proper business practice means charging what you can while producing satisfied customers- granting that this discussion suggests that the latter is not fully being met.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#91 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

Are any of the menus available with Amtrak's new and improved website? I can't seem to find them.

Edited by George K, 14 October 2017 - 02:51 PM.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#92 jimmrl

jimmrl

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

OK now...what exactly is a "griddle seared shellfish cake" ?  Ground up shrimp eyes and tails mixed in with various Monsanto-engineered synthetic bonding agents?  Why not just the damn shrimp like before ?!?!  Big Food killing the population.

They were the best seafood cakes I have ever had. They are the only seafood cakes I have ever had. Did they hold up to a really good crab cake, no, but I have had crab cakes worse than the seafood cake Amtrak served me last night.

Overall three people at my table had them and we were all surprised by them. Mostly because we expected them to be bad and they were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#93 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 PM

I’m not sure why you harbor the mistaken belief that a price on the menu has anything to do with the price of a sleeper ticket.

Well, speaking as one who was present when they first started this in the 80's, you could really see it then.  When the introduced the included meals (they are NOT complementary), they increased the prices for the sleepers by almost exactly the amount that would cover meals for 2 for the duration of the trip.  How that has played out since, I can't speak to, but when they first did it, it was glaringly obvious to anyone doing the arithmetic.

I also understand at least part of the reason it was done was to ensure more steady cash flow for the diners to reduce some of the diner losses.

Before, I usually did not eat three full meals in the diner.  After I always do, especially because I know I am paying for them twice.

Edited by zephyr17, Yesterday, 01:01 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#94 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Lets remember that the fully allocated cost of that burger to Amtrak is ~ $10; that includes your well paid (please dont turn this into a union bashing thread!) railroad employees, dining car maintenance, and costs of pulling the car.

I'm fairly certain the fully allocated cost of that burger significantly exceeds $13 when you factor in the well paid railroad employees, dining car maintenance and overhaul, commissary costs (employees, warehouses and food), fuel and mileage costs.

#95 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,619 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted Yesterday, 01:58 PM

It doesnt, actually. I did the math somewhere else on this forum, years ago. Its right around $8 for everything but the food per meal, of the car is used at 85% capacity with a one hour meal throughput, based on- oh hell, I dont remember the precise assumptions for service length and so on, but I remember most of the more knowledgeable agreeing with my premises, and I did really extensive research to come up with the number. $2 should cover that burger, bun, and the potatoe chips. When I did the numbers, salad was still included, as was iced tea, but that stuff had de minimus costing.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users