Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Menu Changes (October 2017)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,288 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

I wonder what the staff has for dinner?

I was thinking the exact same thing.  :lol:

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#62 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

As for the food choices, we were on four Amtrak LD trips last year and not one had the "ACAT Inspired Special" . We always took the first dinner seating and still no specials. Has anyone here ever been served one of these dishes or is the addition of it to the menu just taking up space?  It says "limited availability" but is was so limited it wasn't available.

I had the same expierence, they were always "out" of the specials or they had been "discontinued" according to the LSA.

Last July on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder and Calif Zephyr they had one of the three at the most, quite often none of the three. Was told they rotate among the three.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#63 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing.  :lol:

The specials. :D
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#64 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

The new Land & Sea item does not do anything for me.  The "straight" steak and shrimp item was good, but the idea of a "miscellaneous seafood cake" doesn't do anything for me (whereas I'd have happily gone for a straight crabcake).

With that being said, the Shrimp Briyani (sp?), salmon, and risotto all look like they're worth a look...but with respect to whomever pulled this together?  As a regular sleeper passenger, you've just downsold me by $20/trip.

"miscellaneous seafood cake" = CAT FOOD!

#65 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

On the EB, I saw one of the SCA eating Macaroni and Cheese.  The food looked good.

#66 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Have you actually put any in your mouth, or are you just running off at the same?

Redacted - please delete.

Edited by niemi24s, 13 October 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#67 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

Have you actually put any in your mouth, or are you just running off at the same?

I HAVE had the crab cakes before' so retract your smart ass remark!

#68 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

In other words, “no, I haven’t had the seafood cake”.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#69 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

The burger for lunch is almost $13 and is very average For that price you should have a choice of how you want it done. Way overpriced. Had the mussels yesterday. Just a bowl of mussels. Not even any bread or sides. Again at $14 overpriced. Unless I am in a sleeper I don't eat in the dining car,except for breakfast. Still more than what you would pay in a regular restaurant but decent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#70 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,888 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

You have unreasonable pricing expectations.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#71 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,288 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

Amtrak doesn't have to lower their prices to make people happy.  They can simply serve a burger that is actually worth $13.  Instead they sell a precooked frozen reheated hockey puck for $13. I've visited sports stadiums that did a better job of offering value for money than Amtrak's dining car.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#72 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,888 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

Point taken.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#73 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

Not really. If you are going to pay $13 for a basic hamburger,ar least they could cook it to order. On the other hand the steak is delicious and is always done the way you like it. Of course prices will be higher on Amteak,but with the higher prices better quality is expected.

#74 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

I think the breakfast and dinner choices are good, but there's nothing I like on the new lunch menu. I asked for the kids' menu items twice and was given them with no quarrel. The mac and cheese was blah (basic children's food out a box), but the hot dog was quite good.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 13 October 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#75 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Amtrak doesn't have to lower their prices to make people happy.  They can simply serve a burger that is actually worth $13.  Instead they sell a precooked frozen reheated hockey puck for $13. I've visited sports stadiums that did a better job of offering value for money than Amtrak's dining car.

If a burger is worth $13, Amtrak will charge you at least $20. You're on a train and a captive audience. It's simple economics. Expecting good value for the price on a train is idiotic. Why should they? What are you going to do, take another company's train? Oh wait. Take Greyhound? Have their food. Oh wait.

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 13 October 2017 - 02:43 PM.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Soon: Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#76 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

I think the diner veggie burger is pretty good for the price. I can't speak for the regular burger.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#77 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

I HAVE had the crab cakes before' so retract your smart ass remark!

Consider it done.  Glad to hear your assessment was based on actual tasting.  

#78 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

If a burger is worth $13, Amtrak will charge you at least $20. You're on a train and a captive audience. It's simple economics. Expecting good value for the price on a train is idiotic. Why should they? What are you going to do, take another company's train? Oh wait. Take Greyhound? Have their food. Oh wait.

Except the burger arguably isn't worth an inflated $13. There's a lot of restaurants that sell a decent $6-$8 burger at a static location (Five Guys, Smashburger, etc.) The burger in the diner tastes pretty much the same as the burger in the cafe car, in my opinion. The cafe car burger is obviously a heat and eat, and if the diner car burger tastes the same...

And if the food is poor enough without options, people will drive, take the bus, or fly and not have to worry about on-board food. The number of people who will only take a train, while not zero, is quite small, and Amtrak isn't going to grow just with that truly captive audience. I don't think most people are expecting an amazing value for the money, but people want to be able to eat something more than heat-and-eat for their hamburger in a diner car that tries to push itself as a somewhat nice place to eat in.

#79 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I remember when the burger in the dining car was quite good. I was disappointed in the burger I had yesterday. Burger Kings Whopper tasted better at nine dollars less. As mentioned,if you are going to charge $13 for a hamburger in the dining car on Amtrak, a great dining experience,at least make the
burger one step above fast food
Judging by the burger I had yesterday it was on the same level as McDonalds,Burger King,Wendys,etc.

#80 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

I remember when the burger in the dining car was quite good. I was disappointed in the burger I had yesterday. Burger Kings Whopper tasted better at nine dollars less. As mentioned,if you are going to charge $13 for a hamburger in the dining car on Amtrak, a great dining experience,at least make the
burger one step above fast food
Judging by the burger I had yesterday it was on the same level as McDonalds,Burger King,Wendys,etc.

I may be easier to please.  The burger I had a lunch today in the dining car was perfectly fine, and much better than what one could get at a fast food restaurnt.  My tablemate thought the same.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users