Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Menu Changes (October 2017)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hopefully you will have a trip report with pictures coming :)

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures this last trip. I'm sure someone else will deliver.

#42 ABQFloridian

ABQFloridian

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

A seatmate had the mussels and said they were really good. I think it needs another side or something since it's just a big bowl of mussels with sauce.

Was there NOT warm bread?! Amtrak food facts mentioned warm bread in the description, and I was already imagining my glorious satiation as I sopped up ounce upon ounce of golden, garlicky broth with piles of warm crusty bread.

Well maybe not piles, because it's Amtrak, but maybe a couple of pieces.

I'll be heartbroken if there was no bread.

#43 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

A seatmate had the mussels and said they were really good. I think it needs another side or something since it's just a big bowl of mussels with sauce.

Was there NOT warm bread?! Amtrak food facts mentioned warm bread in the description, and I was already imagining my glorious satiation as I sopped up ounce upon ounce of golden, garlicky broth with piles of warm crusty bread.

Most likely just the standard dinner rolls they serve on the train.

#44 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,288 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

I like the cut of your jib.  :lol:

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#45 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Some items don't cook properly without some salt, adding it later doesn't cut it, it isn't just about saltier taste. Cooking without any added salt will not work.

I did not know that. Thanks for the education.

With no evidence to support my conclusion, I still believe there is way more salt than necessary in most foods.

#46 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Was there NOT warm bread?!

On some trains, there is warm bread with supper, but it has been years since I've had a warm dinner roll on the Empire Builder. It always surprises me that the dining car staff does not warm the bread before bringing it to the table.

#47 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

There is plenty of evidence to support the notion that there is too much salt in many prepared foods. When companies have put there minds to it, major reductions in sodium have been achieved without killing taste. Not always possible, but certainly achievable in many cases. People who need to avoid sodium content absolutely need to read labels, lots of foods don't taste salty at all, but are loaded with it.

Edited by PVD, 06 October 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#48 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

I guess it's time for me to send that certified letter to Mr. Anderson about Amtrak's lack of ingredients lists.  All this "new food", still no idea whether I can eat any of it.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#49 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

As promised, photos of all sections of the menu on amtrak 6 Emy-chi departing 10/7. Attached File  IMG_2043.jpg   1.59MB   31 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2044.jpg   1.67MB   36 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2045.jpg   1.51MB   28 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2046.jpg   1.52MB   28 downloads

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#50 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Anyone have the new Parlor Car lunch menu? Or is it somewhere here and I missed it? Thanks :).

#51 illinoisandy

illinoisandy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Just a one riders insight into new menu experience, I rode 421 the other day with the new menu on both Eagle and Sunset.

The Romaine Salad was refreshing and good in my experience, only problem was our chef didn't thaw the "little pucks" of goat cheese!  When talking to him about this, he explained they would get mushy if thawed.  Then on Sunset it looked like the chef had thawed and cut up the cheese into small slices.

One followed the rules and it didn't work, one bent the rules and it looked to work, he'll probably get written up for doing it right.

The Breakfast Special #1 scrambled eggs on a quesadillas was decedent for Amtrak, par for the real world.

The Dinner special #2 Shrimp Biryani was a reasonable quality and taste frozen dinner with a good kick to it, which is better than a bland low quality frozen dinner but is still a frozen dinner at heart. I'm not sure based on the demographic of the dinning car it will work but I give them credit for trying this.

The Raspberry Tart with real whip cream, was the goods, had it both nights with dinner, best dessert I've had on Amtrak in a long time.

I have always thought the menu was too bland, so it was refreshing to see some new items with some kick. With the more recent cuts the menu had just become bad, this is a small but good step in the right direction.

Safe Travels

#52 zepherdude

zepherdude

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

There is plenty of evidence to support the notion that there is too much salt in many prepared foods. When companies have put there minds to it, major reductions in sodium have been achieved without killing taste. Not always possible, but certainly achievable in many cases. People who need to avoid sodium content absolutely need to read labels, lots of foods don't taste salty at all, but are loaded with it.

I am a survivor of 2 heart attacks, death and a heart transplant. The first thing they teach one in heart healthy nutrition school, is not to eat prepared frozen meals. Loaded with salt. TV dinners, frozen chicken, Hungry Man, Amtrak Dinners, heavy with salt. Salisbury steak was mentioned too. My freezer is all but empty as I only do fresh and free range and very little red meat. More work, but hey, I am alive. I cut out the carbs too and lost 110 pounds. I do know that few Amtrak entrees are not made on board.

Edited by zepherdude, 07 October 2017 - 07:33 PM.

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#53 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

Although a bit of topic, I was on the LSL a few weeks ago. I was surprised that the side garden salad was discontinued and plastic utensils are now used for the meals.  How long has this been going on?

Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#54 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

Although a bit of topic, I was on the LSL a few weeks ago. I was surprised that the side garden salad was discontinued and plastic utensils are now used for the meals.  How long has this been going on?

Maybe because the LSL has the diner lite?  The side salad was on at least one of the 3 trains I was on the past 1-1/2 weeks (though I declined it).  And we had metal utensils for at least some of the meals.  

#55 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

Maybe because the LSL has the diner lite?  The side salad was on at least one of the 3 trains I was on the past 1-1/2 weeks (though I declined it).  And we had metal utensils for at least some of the meals.  

I was on the LSL a couple of weeks ago and there was no side salad and plastic utensils.  As Betty mentioned, I believe the lack of salad and use of plastic utensils is due to the fact that the LSL does not currently have a full diner.  I have been on 5 other LD trains (with full diners) in the last couple of weeks and side salads were always offered and plastic utensils were not.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#56 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:49 AM

The new Land & Sea item does not do anything for me.  The "straight" steak and shrimp item was good, but the idea of a "miscellaneous seafood cake" doesn't do anything for me (whereas I'd have happily gone for a straight crabcake).

With that being said, the Shrimp Briyani (sp?), salmon, and risotto all look like they're worth a look...but with respect to whomever pulled this together?  As a regular sleeper passenger, you've just downsold me by $20/trip.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#57 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

I gave the mussels an A for creativity, but they have to be handled very carefully, and this case the instructions are pretty clear that the pre-cooked, package has be

"cooked" from frozen, I would assume that "cooking" means a water bath.

I like the note about this lunch entree becoming a passenger and crew favorite.  Does the dining car staff have a "family meal" before the start of service ??

http://www.amtrakfoo...ALL-2017-17.pdf

Ken 

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#58 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

As for the food choices, we were on four Amtrak LD trips last year and not one had the "ACAT Inspired Special" . We always took the first dinner seating and still no specials. Has anyone here ever been served one of these dishes or is the addition of it to the menu just taking up space?  It says "limited availability" but is was so limited it wasn't available.

#59 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,411 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

As for the food choices, we were on four Amtrak LD trips last year and not one had the "ACAT Inspired Special" . We always took the first dinner seating and still no specials. Has anyone here ever been served one of these dishes or is the addition of it to the menu just taking up space?  It says "limited availability" but is was so limited it wasn't available.

I had the same expierence, they were always "out" of the specials or they had been "discontinued" according to the LSA.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#60 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,888 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

I wonder what the staff has for dinner?
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users