Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Menu Changes (October 2017)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 igor

igor

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

You can now get the continental breakfast for lunch? That's odd. 

#22 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

This menu looks really good actually. Perhaps they listened to customers? The dinner menu offers a great seafood choice (salmon), plus a pasta that can be served with or without meat, plus a vegan friendly pasta. (I'm not vegan but I eat mostly a pescitarian diet and appreciate when various diets are considered). It seems odd that Quesadillas would be offered for breakfast and not lunch though.

I also don't see where the pasta is ever offered with actual meat; looks to be a vegan only plate for some reason. 

Sorry.. I read the menu pretty quick and thought the Butternut Squash Risotto was a pasta dish. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#23 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

You can now get the continental breakfast for lunch? That's odd. 

I'll be willing to bet that most crews won't serve it at lunch time anyways. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#24 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

That's the express lunch, not the regular lunch. I believe that is unique to the CL heading towards DC

Edited by PVD, 03 October 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#25 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Some interesting cooking notes from the Amtrak Food Facts - 

Dinner - 

Steak - "Cooked to Order"

Salmon Filet - "single packed & ready to thaw and cook, served with a side sauce. Note that some diners may request their salmon to be cooked medium rare or medium. When that is the passenger request, the salmon should be cooked to their preference, otherwise the salmon should be cooked to medium/medium well – not to exceed 145 degree

Butternut Squash Risotto - "it is produced by Carla’s pasta, who has adapted the classic recipe to steam bag technology with great results"

Chicken Breast - "Skin on thyme scented fully cooked (via sous-vide) chicken breast, seasoned with salt & pepper, cooked via Sous-vide technology"

Lunch - 

Mussels - " steam, vacuum packed & blast frozen in a single serve 16 oz pouch. Ultra-convenient with extraordinary texture & flavor should make this a passenger & crew favorite. Do not thaw, cook from frozen to order only!"

Romaine Salad with Goat Cheese - "A fresh, made on board entrée salad"

Breakfast - 

Scrambled Eggs - " scrambled to order"

Pancakes - "griddled to order"

Omelet - "A freshly made pasteurized cage-free, three egg omelet "

#26 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

I actually like the new selections, but was a bit surprised ( I know I shouldn't be) by the sodium content, even on some of the lower calorie/lower fat entrees.

#27 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

I’ll be on 6 Saturday morning. I’ll take a picture of that menu and post it to this thread if nobody else has done it before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#28 jannie

jannie

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

It seems like the french toast selection - for breakfast is gone -  I really liked that one.  and I will NOT be trying the Mussels had them once at a restaurant -  one time too many!

Hope they bring back the french toast for breakfast

#29 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,411 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

It seems like the french toast selection - for breakfast is gone -  I really liked that one.  and I will NOT be trying the Mussels had them once at a restaurant -  one time too many!
Hope they bring back the french toast for breakfast

Amtrak rotates the Menu between French Toast and Pancakes. IMO neither is particularly good, but OK with Butter and Syrup. ( the French Toast Sticks served on the Cardinal are pretty bad in most people's opinion.)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#30 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

CL, LSL, SWC, and Card show French Toast not Pancakes. They claim to be a new improved version, but I'll withhold judgement until I try them next month.

#31 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,288 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

It seems like the french toast selection - for breakfast is gone -  I really liked that one.  and I will NOT be trying the Mussels had them once at a restaurant -  one time too many! Hope they bring back the french toast for breakfast

Amtrak rotates the Menu between French Toast and Pancakes. IMO neither is particularly good, but OK with Butter and Syrup. ( the French Toast Sticks served on the Cardinal are pretty bad in most people's opinion.)

There was a time when the French Toast was actually pretty good.  Since then it has varied from okay to bad and back again.  I've never found the pancakes to be appetizing, with or without butter/syrup/jam.  Maybe pancakes simply don't mix with train kitchens?

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#32 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

I'll report on the "new version" when I travel next month. I do carry a tiny bottle of real maple syrup when I travel  the real deal always helps.....

#33 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

I am traveling the Southwest Chief tomorrow.  According to the menus on Amtrak.com, the SWC menu has not been updated.  I'll see if this is just a misprint or if they have the updated menu tomorrow.

#34 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

It looks like newer menus have made it to "food facts" but not the menu page..... but awaiting your report with the actual story

Edited by PVD, 03 October 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#35 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

I actually like the new selections, but was a bit surprised ( I know I shouldn't be) by the sodium content, even on some of the lower calorie/lower fat entrees.

Yes sodium counts are very high, in particular with the entrees that are pre-made and then reheated on board.

As someone who has to watch sodium in take like a hawk, I have to chose very carefully.

The short ribs dinner special packs in at 100% of your recommended sodium in take for a full day.

http://www.amtrakfoo...ALL-2017-39.pdf

Ken

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#36 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

There are items that are going to be high in sodium where you expect it. When it is over the top in an item that could probably be prepared with considerably less, that's what bothers me.

#37 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

I just took the TE DAL-LAX and the Starlight LAX-OAK. On Each train, it was the crew's first trip preparing the menu.

I liked the Chilaquiles. They were pretty spicy one time, but just medium heat the other time. A bit chewy, but the flavors were pretty good for Amtrak.

The salmon was really overcooked.

The sea & land is now a crab cake and steak. I liked it okay, although it reminds me of something you'd get at an Applebee's (I imagine, never been to one). It's almost too much food to consume in a single sitting.

The risotto was just so-so. Without the chicken it would be a small serving.

A seatmate had the mussels and said they were really good. I think it needs another side or something since it's just a big bowl of mussels with sauce.

The desserts were good. The chocolate and raspberry was really rich. No dining car had the pumpkin version of the cheesecake, unfortunately. The pecan tart is also so rich that you could share it between two people. I had a lemon tart which was only offered in the PPC and it was very tart - I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite dessert of the trip. Only in the PPC did they bother to plate the cheesecake and it made the dish much more appealing. I wish they'd bring back some fruit sauce for the cheesecake. Now there is also a dab of whip cream on every dessert (depending on the crew).

Please excuse my while I go for a long bike ride to work off all of those calories.

#38 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

I just took the TE DAL-LAX and the Starlight LAX-OAK. On Each train, it was the crew's first trip preparing the menu.

I liked the Chilaquiles. They were pretty spicy one time, but just medium heat the other time. A bit chewy, but the flavors were pretty good for Amtrak.

The salmon was really overcooked.

The sea & land is now a crab cake and steak. I liked it okay, although it reminds me of something you'd get at an Applebee's (I imagine, never been to one). It's almost too much food to consume in a single sitting.

The risotto was just so-so. Without the chicken it would be a small serving.

A seatmate had the mussels and said they were really good. I think it needs another side or something since it's just a big bowl of mussels with sauce.

The desserts were good. The chocolate and raspberry was really rich. No dining car had the pumpkin version of the cheesecake, unfortunately. The pecan tart is also so rich that you could share it between two people. I had a lemon tart which was only offered in the PPC and it was very tart - I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite dessert of the trip. Only in the PPC did they bother to plate the cheesecake and it made the dish much more appealing. I wish they'd bring back some fruit sauce for the cheesecake. Now there is also a dab of whip cream on every dessert (depending on the crew).

Please excuse my while I go for a long bike ride to work off all of those calories.

Hopefully you will have a trip report with pictures coming :)

#39 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

There are items that are going to be high in sodium where you expect it. When it is over the top in an item that could probably be prepared with considerably less, that's what bothers me.

It is simple for someone who wants a saltier taste to add salt. In any practical sense, it is impossible for someone to remove salt from a prepared meal. It seems obvious that meals should be prepared with no added salt at all.

#40 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Some items don't cook properly without some salt, adding it later doesn't cut it, it isn't just about saltier taste. Cooking without any added salt will not work. A bigger problem are the items that don't taste salty but have lots of salt. Some foods have fairly high salt content by themselves without adding it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users