Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Menu Changes (October 2017)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Not sure if I'm late to the party but it seems the menu's have changed. I'm really liking the new dessert options! Pecan tart, pumpkin cheesecake, chocolate raspberry tart, and a cheese plate.

Edited by seat38a, 02 October 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

There were 4 of us at the table for lunch and we all had the raspberry chocolate tart.  I believe that we all cleaned our plates.

Amtrak miles: 225,341; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Anything pumpkin is good! And the tart sounds lovely! :)

Does anyone have a link to the new menus? (Amtrak's list of menus still seems to have the old one as of now.)

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 02 October 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#4 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Penny, do they still have those chicken enchiladas or whatever that was at lunch?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#5 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Anything pumpkin is good! And the tart sounds lovely! :)

Does anyone have a link to the new menus? (Amtrak's list of menus still seems to have the old one as of now.)

I got the info through http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/Some of the main dishes such as shrimp biryani sounds interesting.

#6 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thanks! (I'm back now--I was over at the food facts page for a while staring in fascination at how pretty that chocolate raspberry tart looks! :))

#7 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Penny, do they still have those chicken enchiladas or whatever that was at lunch?

Unfortunately, they do not have the chicken quesidillas for lunch any more.  They have mussels, which I do not eat.  I had a burger for lunch today.

Amtrak miles: 225,341; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#8 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

The pumpkin dessert is seasonal and it was not available on our train today.  

#9 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

Thx penny. I’ll skip mussels too.

#10 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

I'm a member of a few Amtrak Facebook groups and on one of them, somebody posted a photo of the updated menu and said that it's for all routes.  Is that true?

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#11 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

I'm a member of a few Amtrak Facebook groups and on one of them, somebody posted a photo of the updated menu and said that it's for all routes.  Is that true?

Unfortunately yes, as most trains now share a standardized menu.  But at least on paper the newest offerings look interesting....

#12 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

Pictures people!

#13 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,142 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

The Chilaquiles for Lunch sounds interesting, as does the Salmon being back for Dinner.😎

The dinner specials might be worth a try for diversity on traveler type trips!😄
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#14 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:19 AM

Somebody posted a photo of the updated menu and said that it's for all routes.  Is that true?

Unfortunately yes, as most trains now share a standardized menu.

At this point nearly every route and direction has the same generic menu with little thought or concern for repeat travelers.  When it comes to breakfast and lunch there's literally nothing I find appealing or appetizing anymore.  Really disappointing to anyone who isn't big on scrambled eggs and precooked frozen burger patties.  I've visited tiny food trucks with more options and higher quality food than this.  Salads are fine if they're big and plentiful, but these smaller examples with cold proteins are nothing to get excited about.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 03 October 2017 - 03:34 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#15 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,619 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Mussels in white wine is my catnip.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#16 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

With the new fruit nuts and cheese plate, I do hope they offer it for sale during PPC wine tasting event. It looks 100 times better than the boxed stuff sold in the cafe car.

#17 texline

texline

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

Attached File  IMG_0325.jpg   989.32KB   38 downloads
From Facebook

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

#18 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

This menu looks really good actually. Perhaps they listened to customers? The dinner menu offers a great seafood choice (salmon), plus a pasta that can be served with or without meat, plus a vegan friendly pasta.

(I'm not vegan but I eat mostly a pescitarian diet and appreciate when various diets are considered).

It seems odd that Quesadillas would be offered for breakfast and not lunch though.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#19 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

It seems odd that Quesadillas would be offered for breakfast and not lunch though.

I expect the breakfast ones are a pre-made package with the eggs and sauce.  Can't really separate it apart for lunch.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#20 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

This menu looks really good actually. Perhaps they listened to customers? The dinner menu offers a great seafood choice (salmon), plus a pasta that can be served with or without meat, plus a vegan friendly pasta. (I'm not vegan but I eat mostly a pescitarian diet and appreciate when various diets are considered). It seems odd that Quesadillas would be offered for breakfast and not lunch though.

On the one hand I think they're honestly trying to do the best they can with what they have available to them, at least in the case of the dinner menu.  On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I saw a $40 surf & turf entree that featured a shredded seafood cake as the surf.  I also don't see where the pasta is ever offered with actual meat; looks to be a vegan only plate for some reason.  Where I come from it seems odd to call tortillas and cheese a quesadilla unless it's made with pico de gallo, but I suppose that's probably beyond Amtrak's practical abilities at this point. 

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users