Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Tacoma bypass begins 12-18-2017

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

The expanded Amtrak Cascades service and new schedules start Monday Dec 18. The new schedules are now in the Amtrak reservation system. Dec 17 will be your last opportunity to ride along the Tacoma Narrows.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

I wonder where I can find you on December 17th..... :P :) 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#3 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

And it won't be long after that until Amtrak enthusiasts start to post rumors about an upcoming Cascades or Coast Starlight train detouring over the old, water-level segment. :P

#4 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

WSDOT press release.

http://www.wsdot.wa....-starting-dec18

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#5 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

Just looked at the schedule PDF and one thing that stood out to me is they renumbered the Vancouver trains (at least, I have those train numbers memorized, the rest of the Cascades schedule not so much), which have always held their current numbers since each of them started service.  The SEA-VAC morning up, evening back 510/517 will become 516/519.  The PDX-VAC  afternoon/evening up, morning back 516/513 will become 518/517.  The 510 number isn't used, and 513 becomes an early afternoon PDX-EUG train.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#6 Tony in Ann Arbor

Tony in Ann Arbor

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

We will be on the Coast Starlight going  through the new bypass shortly after the 18th and have received a new ticket and an apologetic recorded telephone call about the change in our itinerary except it is unclear what they are apologetic about.  It seems to be about the change in ticket, not about missing one of the truly nice sections of the trip along the coast, or maybe because we are now scheduled to arrive in Seattle 21 minutes earlier.

#7 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

We will be on the Coast Starlight going  through the new bypass shortly after the 18th and have received a new ticket and an apologetic recorded telephone call about the change in our itinerary except it is unclear what they are apologetic about.  It seems to be about the change in ticket, not about missing one of the truly nice sections of the trip along the coast, or maybe because we are now scheduled to arrive in Seattle 21 minutes earlier.

That's funny.

However, from the context you have provided, it appears you are going northbound, so you wouldn't see the coast anyhow (well after dark by then), unless you are traveling round-trip.

#8 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

The new Amtrak website shows the routing of Cascades trains on the timetable page as follows:

"Boston - Vancouver, BC - Seattle - Tacoma - Portland - Salem - Eugene"

https://www.amtrak.com/timetables.html

The new schedules have not yet been posted on this page.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#9 TrackWalker

TrackWalker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Retired Professional TrackWalker

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

The new Amtrak website shows the routing of Cascades trains on the timetable page as follows:

Boston, eh?

#10 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Which Boston?

#11 Sactobob

Sactobob

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Which Salem?

#12 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

Boston-Salem [MA] is on the MBTA Newburyport/Rockport Line. :)

Boston-Salem[NH] used to exist with a change in Lawrence, MA.

Edited by Palmetto, 25 October 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#13 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:30 PM

Boston, eh?
That's because when I make my transfer from Boston to Seattle I'm going to work a special train from Boston, MA to Vancouver, then down the coast. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#14 John Bredin

John Bredin

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Which Salem?

Don't you mean *witch* Salem?  :giggle:

#15 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

Some photos of the Point Defiance route before the bypass begins.

https://chamilton.sm...iance/n-FqP7Nz/

#16 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

The new schedules are finally posted on Amtrak's schedule page (this may have happened a few weeks ago).  I don't understand the numbering of the Vancouver, BC trains--they seem to be in the same series as the Eugene trains, but they are out-of-sequence.

Here's some pictures I took on my way back from the Gathering:

Attached Files

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#17 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

The new schedules are finally posted on Amtrak's schedule page (this may have happened a few weeks ago).  I don't understand the numbering of the Vancouver, BC trains--they seem to be in the same series as the Eugene trains, but they are out-of-sequence.

Yes, the new numbers don't have the logic the old ones did (middle digit 1=trains serving VAC). PDFs at http://www.amtrakcas...ew schedule.pdf

#18 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,528 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Nice pics and leave it to Amtrak and the WDOT( and also the Class I's to be fair) to make a complicated system even more so by not using common sense when making changes.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 11 December 2017 - 03:23 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#19 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

Some of the numbers do seem to represent "cross-platform transfers" in PDX for passengers to/from EUG on certain days; e.g. 501->511, 503->513, 512->502, 514->504. This is a return to PDX connections that we haven't seen in several years.

#20 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

The scheduled cross platform connections allows OR and WA to route train sets as needed.  We have done one of the connections only to find we boarded same train set,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users