Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Second Trip on Conway Scenic Railway

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Trains, Ships, Wildlife, Gardening

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hi-  At the beginning of September, we went on the Conway Scenic Railway to Bartlett and back.

At the end of September, we went from North Conway to Conway on the 1 hour trip.

It was unique in that we rode in the Parlor Car- a train with wicker chairs and wooden trim.

It was a departure from regular train seats-  it was fun. 

We have yet to ride the Notch Train which is 4 and 1/2 hours round trip.    Lynn in Maine

Train Trips: Acela Express, California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (2x), Coast Starlight (4x), Desert Wind, Lake Shore Limited (6x), Northeast Regional (many times), Pacific Surfliner (2x), Silver Meteor (7x), Southwest Chief (4x), Cardinal.

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Glad you had a nice trip. Did you get some good photos?

I would like to ride the Crawford Notch train some time. When I was a child, we crossed the tracks on the hiking trail to Ethan Pond, but no trains were using them at that time.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#3 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

Yes, we did get some good photos- especially of Mt. Washington from the train. 

We went up to the Mt. Washington summit this summer in a van.  It is better than the Cog Railway!

Train Trips: Acela Express, California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (2x), Coast Starlight (4x), Desert Wind, Lake Shore Limited (6x), Northeast Regional (many times), Pacific Surfliner (2x), Silver Meteor (7x), Southwest Chief (4x), Cardinal.

#4 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Yes, we did get some good photos- especially of Mt. Washington from the train. 

We went up to the Mt. Washington summit this summer in a van.  It is better than the Cog Railway!

I have been to the top of Washington in an old-fashioned "stage" (station wagon in the late fifties), on the cog railway, and several different routes under my own foot power! Now you make me want to dig out some old photos...

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#5 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

The van had a guide- it was quite good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users